cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

q-code 8 while overclocking ... needs help

BlowUpDaChron
Level 7
i just got my pc setup and tried to overclock it but it crashes with q-code 8 . I seen online that it could be because of what ram you are using. im using lpx 16 gb c16 at 3200 mhz .which is on the list for this motherboard. so i invert everything back to default and ran memtest on that ram and there are no errors.... i;m on the new bios 1403 motherboard is crosshair vi hero cpu is ryzen 1700 ... i seen a video that hardware canucks posted using the same motherboard and having the same issue .. is this on a bios level or is it a cpu problem ? this is a brand new system :cool: and i just needs help to figure out if its a component issue or something else so i can rma in time with newegg .
9 REPLIES 9

BlowUpDaChron
Level 7
just an update I decided to rma the crosshair vi hero along with the 1700 just to be on the safe side of things.. which is a shame because i really wanted this to work out well. im a first time pc builder and i really wanted to get into gaming on the pc . I was a life long console player who just wanted a change.. its just sad that i made this post and had no help from the community. Maybe ill think next time about Asus as a company i want to do business with!:(

gupsterg
Level 13
Hi, this is a low traffic site, so sometimes replies can be slow to come up.

Did you by chance remove the AM4 backplate?

Besides the Q-Code: 8 what are the Q-LEDs showing? ref user manual.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Hi, this is a low traffic site, so sometimes replies can be slow to come up.

Did you by chance remove the AM4 backplate?

Besides the Q-Code: 8 what are the Q-LEDs showing? ref user manual.

oh ok

i never remove the am4 backplate .. i had the kraken x62 aio on it and i wouldn't work. had it plug in to the aio header first with one of the fans in the cpu header. my temp were almost reaching 100 c on start up so i switch it wot the cpu header and it still never worked ...i remove the kraken x62 and put in the stock fan and it booted fine .. enter the bios and set up the overclock. and went on my way.. stress test the system and it would crash under heavy load .. never went pass 3.8 ghz on my overclock.... the cpu q-led is lit green and the ram is blinking yellow when it crashes ... i use memtest to test the ram and it pass with no errors. so i tested the system in occt and it came back saying the cpu #3 had an error also my voltage is really high on this board i was at 1.425 or higher just on auto .. tried to set my vcore volt at a lower value but it would still crash in real bench .. had my ram set and default and with standard oc and it would still crash... not sure what else to try at this point

FuryA
Level 8
hi BlowUpDaChron
Code 8 Error is system agent , many purpose,
you may try reinstall, CPU , RAM for troubleshooting
just an advice try setting without OC then fine tune through AI suite 3

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi BlowUpDaChron
Code 8 Error is system agent , many purpose,
you may try reinstall, CPU , RAM for troubleshooting
just an advice try setting without OC then fine tune through AI suite 3

i did reinstall cpu when my kraken failed from the aio header.still would crash when i had a heavy load on the system i will try to use the AI suite 3 next time i set up , i just rma the board and cpu ... for that much money i'm not taking any chances, thanks i'll let you know how it goes in the next few days.. thanks for everything

Something that might be of use when you get a new board:

When i build or buy or diagnose any system i always try to run a set of stress testers. See if any component is doing well enough or if any has a risk of being a Dead-On-Arrival.

I would run this set in particular in Succession:
1) Memtest86. Make sure the memory is not defective.
2) Prime95. Put stress on the CPU, Motherboard and Memory. (dont forget to have something capable of reading the temps like HW Monitor or the AI suit). OCCT works too tough.
3) Furmark. Push the GPU to the thermal limit
4) Assorted benchmarks. Think Unigine,3DMark,AIDA64 and the likes.

I say this cause you used only OCCT by the looks of it, but that alone is not a reliable. Gotta go through the full set for thorough results.

Something to note about Ryzen too btw: Just because the memory is approved do NOT expect it to run at full speed. I got a 3200mhz set, but even with AGESA1006 i can run it at 2966mhz tops. Quite a few have made that mistake.

Nighter3D wrote:
Something that might be of use when you get a new board:

When i build or buy or diagnose any system i always try to run a set of stress testers. See if any component is doing well enough or if any has a risk of being a Dead-On-Arrival.

I would run this set in particular in Succession:
1) Memtest86. Make sure the memory is not defective.
2) Prime95. Put stress on the CPU, Motherboard and Memory. (dont forget to have something capable of reading the temps like HW Monitor or the AI suit). OCCT works too tough.
3) Furmark. Push the GPU to the thermal limit
4) Assorted benchmarks. Think Unigine,3DMark,AIDA64 and the likes.

I say this cause you used only OCCT by the looks of it, but that alone is not a reliable. Gotta go through the full set for thorough results.

Something to note about Ryzen too btw: Just because the memory is approved do NOT expect it to run at full speed. I got a 3200mhz set, but even with AGESA1006 i can run it at 2966mhz tops. Quite a few have made that mistake.

i used memtest 64 at the first of the crashes just to check with ram to make sure there were no errors .. it ran all test with no errors .. i used asus real bench to stress the system and at 3.8 ghz ... i tried prime 95 but it wasn't running right for me .. maybe i had the wrong dl i'm not suree i will re test it when i build up my system again .. occt would tell me tho that there was hardware failed in the system instead of just crashing with no info ... i was using hardware moniter to check voltage and nzxt cam software to vaildate .. note i was not running any programs along with the stress test .. i ran my lpx ram at 3200 mhz stable at 3.8 ghz but when i moved up a little in Ghz 's it would crash ... and if i drop it back to 2933 mhz it would crash even at default it would crash.. i tried to set timing myself but nothing would stick c16 18 18 18 36 1t voltage at 1.35 and rest at auto .. but i did move to soc to 1 and still nothing would stay where i put it in the bios .. plus at the end i was loading my bios from the flashback and it would blink twice blue then just stayed on.. it wasn't doing that at first when i got the board .. i had it formatted right fat 32 and renamed C6h.cap would not worked .. aio header failed or you have to manually set it in the bios which if u do i didn't know about it ..damage was already done to my cpu

elguero83
Level 7
You should try to disable performance bias, that solved my q 8 problem.

elguero83 wrote:
You should try to disable performance bias, that solved my q 8 problem.

i did that as well in both tabs .. it still would not work