cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 1080 TI Strix one of the low potency overclock boards, its normal ?

RickX
Level 7
Hello

I have 2 GTX 1080 Ti, one reaches 2025mhz with +80 in the stable Core Clock, since the other board does not exceed the 1984mhz, anything above +60 in the Core Clock that hangs and even works for a few minutes on your clock No Exceeds 1984mhz, starts in 2012mhz and drops rapidly to 1984mhz and there is no what I can do to overcome 2000mhz, and both are in the next conditions with 120% TDP and maximum temperature of 62C but one of them has no potential for overclocking. I wonder, is this a defect of unity and eats change or is it normal and just a feature of it?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

tt0ne
Level 9
You need to use the curve overclocking method if you want to get the most out of your cards. I highly doubt the card that is freezing is actually limited at the speed you think it is but rather once you add anything over +60 one of the voltage/speed points doesn't like it and it may be because the point before it (every 13 mhz I believe) or the point after wants a little more or a little less but your current method is just adding +60 to each point.

The bad news is, you can apply curves to individual cards but there is currently no way to do it in SLI so your current method is your only alternative unless you turn SLI off. 😞

[/HR]

I can even leave both cards in 1980mhz no problem (up to why 1999 to 2050mhz of little difference in performance).What I would really like to know if it is normal to have this difference between one and the other being the same model, one being more limited than the other, or can this be a defect and should it be changed?

I tested individually and card 2 is quite limited in overclocking, even though 1980mhz is already a good factory overclocking considering the default clock of the 1080 Ti is 1680mhz.

RickX wrote:
I can even leave both cards in 1980mhz no problem (up to why 1999 to 2050mhz of little difference in performance).What I would really like to know if it is normal to have this difference between one and the other being the same model, one being more limited than the other, or can this be a defect and should it be changed?

I tested individually and card 2 is quite limited in overclocking, even though 1980mhz is already a good factory overclocking considering the default clock of the 1080 Ti is 1680mhz.

i think you answered your own question.

rather than fixating that the unit maybe defective,
why not think you got lucky on the silicon lottery on the first card?

(i kind of feel bad for your second card. the owner comes on forum and speaks of him like it's a crippled boy)
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

I still say you aren't limited on the other card but rather you need to turn SLI off and test the card by itself and using the curve editor in MSI Afterburner. I have two of the same cards and my second card wouldn't clock as high as my primary card when I just blasted volts through it - but when I fine tuned it I was able to get much higher... It still wasn't as high as my main card but that is to be expected. They don't all clock the same. I'm doing 2192 on my primary and 2142 on my secondary. (EK Waterblocks and unlocked Asus engineering BIOS).

[/HR]

RickX wrote:

It will not get any better because that's the OC limit for that card. You got lucky with the other.

Was the same thing with my 1070 when I compared it to that of others. Max GPU clock was 2088 at around 65C, yet some attained over 2100. However, there were many that could not break the 2000 threshold despite similar or better temperatures. Luck of the draw.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.