cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spatha nothing but problems, so much trouble shooting I need help...

RTSARC
Level 8
Purchased an ROG Spatha mouse about a month ago and I'm just having non stop issues with it every single day 😕 I need some help at this point idk what else to do I've dug through threads, tried every version of armoury, attempted firmware updates countless times, and every time it starts to work another issue arises. Sry in advance if wall of text but I've been fiddling for a month so might take a para or two to bring up to speed on everything.

Initial Issues:
Initially purchased mouse, plugged in the dock and mouse and it immediately lit up and seemed to function fine. Installed the newest version of Armoury available on Spatha support page v1.01.34. Launched software and it immediately said new firmware update available. I approved, it went through the update said successful however after that the mouse lights were dead, scroll wheel functionality reversed, and the mouse was 100% unresponsive in wireless mode. Despite saying firmware update was successful, it remained displaying the previous firmware 1.09? in options and every single time I restarted Armoury, or unplugged and replugged in the mouse the software would say firmware update available which would succeed again yet no change. I spent hours trying every order of reinstall software, order of install vs plugging in, many different versions of armoury ect result always the same. Finally on a whim I docked the unplugged, unresponsive mouse in the receiver/charger and suddenly all of the lights came back and the mouse was detected by software (only when plugged in, tho functionality returned in wireless mode armoury just said no device detected so no way to customize buttons ect) and the firmware said updated/checking for updates would say up to date.

Issues since:

• SpathaAgent.exe constantly stops responding, may be part of following issues
  • Mouse occasionally just loses profile and reverts to the default one despite armoury remaining open and the correct profile selected. For example I have a profile with custom buttons ect set for PUBG. I'll select the profile before playing launch game and its about 50/50 whether the profile will be enabled still at that point. If it is working and I play for a while, then quit the game do something else and re launch the game its almost always disabled the second time I go back into the game despite armoury still being open and it being selected. I have to toggle to another profile and back for it to pick up again then alt tab back into game
  • The mouse works when I unplug it for wireless mode however the armoury software no longer detects the mouse and it reverts to default profile for dpi/button layouts so right now is useless for me in wireless mode when gaming since I don't use the default DPI or button layout for any games I play, and its unrealistic to try and change my keybindings and sensitivity in every game back and forth if I need to switch from wired to wireless

Current Issues as of today that prompted this post:

• Armoury software is completely locking up and having to be force closed because not responding.
  • When the Armoury program does launch its not detecting a device regardless of plugged in or in wireless mode.
  • Unplugging and plugging the mouse back in while Armoury is open causes the software to stop responding
  • occasionally when the Armoury software goes non responsive it completely kills mouse functionality until I unplug and plug the mouse back in.
  • Attempting to click on the settings wrench in Armoury immediately causes the software to hang and stop responding so I can't even check for updates or check what version of firmware the mouse is currently running

So yeah, non stop issues since purchase however atleast before today they were just tedious but could be worked around. Now I'm basically at a stalemate so I guess I need some help. Any you can offer would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance. I'll check back regularly in case anymore info is needed!

Sys Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 1607
MSI M7 z170 motherboard
i7 6700k @ stock speeds
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080ti OC @ stock speeds
16gb G.Skill Trident Z Ram (2x 8gb @ 3200mhz)
Current Armoury Version: 1.01.34
Current Firmware Version: ??? (Can't check cause Armoury hangs on settings tho i vaguely recall 1.32 maybe?)
**Possibly worth noting I've seen screenshots of Armoury Settings tab displaying 2 Firmware numbers 1 for Mouse 1 for Wireless. Mine, when armoury was working and saying up to date when checking, only ever showed one Firmware number and I believe the software number.
16 REPLIES 16

RTSARC
Level 8
Did some more digging through the threads here and found the link to Armoury v 1.02.07. Uninstalled the old version, installed 10207, restarted computer, launched armoury and it loaded however no device detected. Clicking on the wrench icon for settings crashed the software.

I then uninstalled the software again, restarted PC, ran CCLeaner to remove files and repair registry, went to old install dir and deleted remaining "IO" & "ASPX" directories, checked and fixed registry errors again until none detected, restarted PC, installed version 1.02.07 again, restarted PC, attempted to launch armoury and window opened but everything was black no tabs or options only the colored trim and the wrench, minimize, and close. Clicking the Wrench crashed the program.
Launched armoury again, loaded tabs ect but failed to detect device, clicking on wrench for settings crashed software.
Launched armoury again, unplugged mouse, plugged it back in, no device detected.
Unplugged mouse, turned wireless switch on, docked mouse, plugged mouse back in and armoury crashed.

I guess at this point i'm going to try the unplug, hold left/mid/right firmware reset option that I saw however even if that works idk how I'm going to update the firmware after that if Armoury is just going to crash non stop. Any advice @BAHZ ? you seem to be the guy to talk to around here and I'm starting to run out of ideas 😕

Tried the firmware reset by unplugging, holding the 3 buttons, and plugging back in. Tried it the first time held the buttons for about 60 seconds no prompt however the lights are now out on the mouse and the scroll wheel functionality is reversed like my initial issues -_-

Realized armoury wasnt running first try because it had crashed, launched it again and tried again same result lights remained out/scroll wheel direction reversed, armoury doesn't detect device. Only change is now I can click on the wrench in armoury for settings and the window opens without crashing. Software Version says 1.02.07 and Firmware version says 1.09. Checking for updates says software up to date, don't know if its checking firmware cause software says device not detected.

Tried my initial solution from a month ago and docked the mouse to the wireless receiver and once again the lights came back on. Plugged the mouse back into the computer and the lights lit up again however Armoury still does not detect the device (which it did when I was at this point a month ago) and once again clicking on the wrench icon to open settings crashes the software.

I found the link to the beta firmware, tried the mouse update v1.62 exe so far its just hanging on don't unplug during firmware update but the progress bar isn't moving/hasn't filled at all. Been about 15 mins so far I'm guessing probably because the Armoury software still says no device detected. I'll let it run a while longer then I guess I'll restart pc cause theres no cancel on the firmware update window and mouse is still lit up working fine so I don't think the firmware update is even communicating with the mouse. When it updated when I first got the mouse it knocked the lights out. Otherwise, I'm basically out of ideas so I suppose I'll wait and hope you see this @bahz or maybe I'll shoot you a pm if I can figure that out.

Edit: i miss read.
I'm not sure to understand the end. Is the mouse working or still without lights and the wheel direction reversed ?

Kahoh wrote:
Edit: i miss read.
I'm not sure to understand the end. Is the mouse working or still without lights and the wheel direction reversed ?

Hey boss, thanks for taking the time to read my monstrous wall of text. As of right now, docking did turn the lights back on and fix the scroll wheel direction like it did initially. I still however, cannot get Armoury to detect the mouse in wired or wireless mode. Despite not detecting the mouse, when trying to click on the wrench to update firmware or even check version the software simply crashes. I tried to do the manual beta firmware update however it never made any progress. It got to the point of saying don't disconnect the mouse but the progress bar never moved and it sat like that for about an hour. So as of right now, the mouse works (lights up and is stuck in same profile it was in for pubg prior to armoury no longer finding it) but armoury can't find the mouse. If I unplug the mouse for wireless mode, it works however reverts to the slower default dpi settings and button layout until I plug it back in and armoury still can't detect the device.

Well I managed to install the v1.62 beta firmware, with the 3 button hold boot loader trick, to the mouse successfully and now when plugged in Armoury finally detects the mouse and I can edit/change profiles ect so at least there's that. My only issue now is that Armoury still can't detect the mouse when its in wireless mode, and still reverts to default settings profile in wireless mode. So far I can't get the 1.32 beta driver for the wireless receiver to load, everytime I launch the exe it stops responding within seconds saying SICA Firmware Update is not responding. I've tried running the 1.32 firmware update with the mouse both in and out of the bootloader mode and both ways still result in the firmware update not responding before I can even click next or cancel ect. It stops responding the second the prompt is visible.

Bahz
Level 12
First unplug the mouse in wired mode, holding down left click, scroll wheel, and right click then plug in the mouse while holding down those 3 buttons for about 10 seconds and it should bring you into boot loader mode. This will allow you to reset all the settings on the mouse back to default.

Please download the FW in the private message I sent you and let me know if your mouse can be properly detected in wireless mode.

Bahz wrote:
First unplug the mouse in wired mode, holding down left click, scroll wheel, and right click then plug in the mouse while holding down those 3 buttons for about 10 seconds and it should bring you into boot loader mode. This will allow you to reset all the settings on the mouse back to default.

Please download the FW in the private message I sent you and let me know if your mouse can be properly detected in wireless mode.

Thanks for getting back to me! Is an actual menu or something supposed to pop up when putting the mouse in boot loader mode? Nothing pops up in windows, all that happens after plugging the mouse back in while holding the buttons is the lights remain out on the mouse/scroll wheel functionality is reversed but no prompt or anything to reset settings shows up in windows. If I click on the wrench in Armoury tho the Mouse Firmware is back to saying 1.09 while the mouse is in that lights out state.

I downloaded the firmware you pm'd me after putting the mouse into boot loader mode (lights out mode since no confirmation other than that) was able to successfully update the firmware. Unfortunately Armoury still reads Please Connect an ROG device when the mouse is in wireless mode. The mouse works in wireless mode, rgb lights are enabled and the green light comes on at the base of the receiver however I can't access any of the settings or profiles since Armoury still doesn't detect the wireless mouse.

RTSARC wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me! Is an actual menu or something supposed to pop up when putting the mouse in boot loader mode? Nothing pops up in windows, all that happens after plugging the mouse back in while holding the buttons is the lights remain out on the mouse/scroll wheel functionality is reversed but no prompt or anything to reset settings shows up in windows. If I click on the wrench in Armoury tho the Mouse Firmware is back to saying 1.09 while the mouse is in that lights out state.

I downloaded the firmware you pm'd me after putting the mouse into boot loader mode (lights out mode since no confirmation other than that) was able to successfully update the firmware. Unfortunately Armoury still reads Please Connect an ROG device when the mouse is in wireless mode. The mouse works in wireless mode, rgb lights are enabled and the green light comes on at the base of the receiver however I can't access any of the settings or profiles since Armoury still doesn't detect the wireless mouse.

It looks like you have a defective mouse, please test the mouse on a different computer to confirm this and once you've confirmed, please send it in for RMA.

Bahz wrote:
It looks like you have a defective mouse, please test the mouse on a different computer to confirm this and once you've confirmed, please send it in for RMA.

Well thats unfortunate to hear, I'll try everything on my laptop in a little bit to be sure tho thanks for the help! You wouldn't happen to have another beta firmware for the wireless receiver would you? I don't know that I'm convinced about the mouse being defective considering there's a lot of other posts on here with people's Spathas behaving just like mine and everything works flawlessly except for armoury detecting the mouse when in wireless mode. It still works in wireless mode, the software just doesn't see it. I kind of think that the reason its not being detected properly by armoury is because I've yet to successfully update the firmware for the wireless receiver despite the mouse and armoury now being fully upgraded so perhaps that could be the problem?

The only dock firmware I came across is ROG_SPATHA_Dock_FW1.32(Beta).exe located on the Spatha support page ( https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-Spatha/HelpDesk_Download/ ) so perhaps there's another version I could try since that one crashes as soon as I launch it every time? I'd even be willing to try the previous receiver firmware if the only caveat is that the charge indicator lights are incorrect. The mouse is used 80% of the time plugged in anyway so gets its charge that way, I rarely see myself needing to use the dock to charge it anyway. Thanks again for the help, I'll update later once I have a chance to try everything on my laptop.

Other idea, is there any chance windows 10 could have stepped in and installed a generic driver for the receiver and that's the issue? Might explain why the receiver works but won't update the firmware? If that is a possiblity, do you know what I can identify the receiver as in device manager to attempt to uninstall the windows driver/where would I find the correct driver to replace it with?