Case: Phanteks Eclipse 400 Tempered Glass Edition
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Assassin 2 air cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F
CPU: Intel i-7 7700k
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2
PSU: EVGA 750 G3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS-GeF...

Main Monitor: BenQ XL2411 (@144hz --> DVI cable)

Secondary Monitor: ASUS VS228H-P 21.5 (HDMI cable)
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS228H-P-1920x1080-Back-lit...

Greetings everyone,

I've recently put my system together and it runs great, except it always boots up on my secondary Asus monitor. Then when I get into Windows, Its back on my main monitor. I have a few questions and I appreciate any help I can get:

1. Is my videocard faulty? Because I can still exchange it on Amazon as 30 days hasn't passed yet since my purchase

2. If there's nothing wrong with my card, how do I fix it? I've looked into the display settings on the Desktop and under Nvidia Experience. My BenQ monitor (Main) shows as being #2, and my Asus monitor (Secondary) shows as being #1. But I set the BenQ as my primary monitor and my system still boots on my secondary monitor.

http://imgur.com/a/sCQBq

3. I tried switching the HDMI port on the video card for the Asus monitor and still it doesn't work. Does it matter which HDMI slot I use? My card has 1 DVI (Need it for my 144hz monitor), 2 Display ports, and 2 HDMI ports.

If anyone can help me solve this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

davemon50
Level 11
OK, instead of switching the output ports off the video card, try swithing the input type on the monitors: turn off the system and make the BenQ primary monitor the HDMI connection, and make the Asus the DVI connection. Bootup with both monitors connected and see if this makes a difference. Give no regard to the connection ports off the video card for now, so you could accomplish this by simply switching the input ends between the two monitors and leaving the video card port connections as-is (assuming both cables are long enough).

Alternately, remove the DVI cable entirely and make both of them HDMI while system is off and then reboot.
Davemon50

Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

I can't switch the cable types for the monitor because the BenQ monitor requires a DVI connection for the 144MHz refresh rate. If I switch it to HDMI, I won't get that. Does anyone else have a solution to this? Should I return my videocard and get another as I still have that option, but won't for long. So any help I can get in regards to this issue is greatly appreciated!

davemon50
Level 11
Try it anyway to see if it works. You won't know unless you try it.

The problem is going to be the same, most cards see the HDMI before they see the DVI, until Windows kicks in and sees your preference. So you're still going to have the problem. Priority goes something like this: DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA. Your HDMI is going to supersede.

You could also try them both as DVI-D and reboot a couple times, but it won't prioritize them.
Davemon50