CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hmmmm, tough to say if you can pass the realbench benchmark.

Verify the integrity of the game cache in Steam.

Lag spikes could mean your Strix 980 is maxing out in places, or if you're playing multiplayer it could be your ping.

New ROGer Array dwitomo PC Specs
    dwitomo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus ROG G750JH
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Hero
    ProcessorIntel i7 4790K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C10 (CMY16GX3M2A2400C10A)
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 980 TI OC Strix
    CPU CoolerProlimatech Super Mega
    Power SupplyCorsair HX750
    Keyboard Corsair K70
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise

Lightbulb Thermal and Stress Test

Quote Originally Posted by Bal View Post
    Boosted CPU to 4500MHz and core voltage was 1.250v. Core Temp. got to max 95°C, when I started stress test prima95 + in-game Rocket League + streamed to twitch + opened a lot of apps (OBS, Streamlabs, Steam, Temp apps) + 5-6 pages in browser. (CPU usage was %100, game kept crashing every 2-3 minute)

This is my rig:

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27 inch Monitor (2560x1440)
    Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch 4K LED Monitor (3840 x 2160) running @2560x1440
    Intel Core i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150)
    Asus STRIX-GTX980-256 Bit Nvidia Gtx 980 Graphics Card (OC'ed to 1.495MHz @memory clock 7410- Voltage 1175- GPU Temp very stable and low)
    MAXIMUS VII FORMULA Z97 Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133Mhz CL11 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit
    Corsair AX860i 860W 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply Unit
    Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Windowed Mid-Tower ATX High Airflow Performance Computer Case
    SanDisk SSD PLUS Sata III 2.5-inch Internal SSD 120 GB
    SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD Sata III 2.5-inch Internal 480 GB
    SEAGATE NAS HDD Internal Hard Drive 5900 RPM SATA III NAS Support 3 TB
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i All-In-One 240mm Digital High Performance Rad Liquid Cooler for CPU
    1x Corsair Air Series AF140-LED 140mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan
    4x Corsair Air Series AF120-LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan
    NZXT 2m LED Cable 10 volts
    Asus DVD-RW Bulk Drive
    Windows 10 64Bit

I had to pull it down to 4400MHz and lower voltage to 1.200 to stabilize. Now when I ran the stress test + everything at these values, i got max 87°C.

Without stress test, temperature is much lower around 70°C or so. I wanna make it 4500MHz, would it be okay to go with it?
    Asuming that your cooling system works normally. I think your temp is just fine.
    Maybe this guide from tomshardware will help you with testing your system.

CPU
    Refering to the link I think that what you're trying to do was Thermal Test (Section-12)
    What version of Prime95 that you used for the Thermal Test?

I also have the same CPU as you do, and our CPU has AVX ((Advanced Vector Extension) Instruction Sets.
    If you're using Prime95 version later than 26.6, I do hope that you already know that the Prime95 versions later than 26.6 run AVX code
    on the CPU's Floating Point Unit (FPU) which spikes the temperature up.
    You can find it in "Section 11 - Thermal Test Basics" (I do urge you to read the article first if you haven't).

Actually you can disable the AVX in Prime95 by inserting "CpuSupportsAVX=0" into the "local.txt".
    If you don't know or want to do that you can simply download the Prime95 v26.6 here.

I'm not an OCers myself, but I always try "validate" my CPU and see what my chip can do especially at early times after finishing my build.
    Usually,
    I disable Ai Overclock Tunner, ASUS Multicore Enhancement.
    Set my VCore and CPU Cache Voltage manually or let the CPU set the volt itself (not using the OC features by Motherboard).
    Because (based on my little experience) many boards nowadays offer "Auto Tuning"/"Smart OC"/"Smart Tuning" which (sometimes) delivers power agressively to the CPU, and mostly cause the chip runs hot and end up in instability.

I know I'm old school but hey... I'm just an average user who wants his system run normally first then bump the clock a little to see what my PC can do and if I were lucky I start to use each board's OC features one by one and if I've found the OC features didn't work as i hope, I simply turn the particular OC features, set things manually the be a happy camper.

After making sure the set CPU at desired clock runs normaly with manual settings, usualy i start the thermal test with Prime95 for 3-6 hours (this is my personal preference) and make sure the temperature is in safe range (for me its not exceeding 75c). If I find the temp is not good enough for me then I start improving my cooling system. After that, I start to use the adaptive mode by CPU or what my board offers at the time, and then do the Stress Test using AIDA64 for 24 hours (this is my personal standart).

I hope this helps you in eliminating (or at leats finding) what's caused your CPU temp problem.

GAMING, BROWSING, STREAMING
    After your CPU has passed the Thermal Test and Stress Test, then start to do what you usualy do with your computer.
    I never use or had any experience with your board (mine is Maximus VII Hero) but if you still experience crashes maybe you can start with the BIOS setting that i used for my board here under 3201 section.

Basically its pretty much the same with the settings that i mentioned above only I don't use the OC features that offered by my board (yes i'm not lucky enough with my board) and disabling the Onboard Graphic by setting the Primary Graphic Display to PEG.
    If the setting is not solving then start with suspecting your RAM sticks by reseating, swapping, and borrow from your friends if available.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by dwitomo; 07-22-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2