cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a odd question regaring HD light on the hero IX bios 0906

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Hi guys. I have a odd question. I just install a PNY CS2030 SSD NVMe a small one 240GB. i have a clean install. it was fast recognize on the bios, I change the X2 to X4. All is working OK and how fast it is vs my old SSD. The question is the led amber light is always on. that is normal? i remember that the light flashes on activity. Any feedback or i did something wrong?
Learn, Play Enjoy!
9 REPLIES 9

Chino wrote:
Yes, it's normal.

so is confirm that always is on even on 0 activity.

OK i can be calm then. since i remeber on sata SSD was off and on on activity.

Thanks guys!
Learn, Play Enjoy!

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
Is this an NVME thing? Because I get flashing right now with SATA drives and I really like it because it's a good diagnostic indicator that the machine hasn't halted.

KuraiShidosha wrote:
Is this an NVME thing? Because I get flashing right now with SATA drives and I really like it because it's a good diagnostic indicator that the machine hasn't halted.

It seams that is the other way arround on NVMe is Chino said is normal i can keep peace.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Korth
Level 14
It would have some merit as a diagnostic indicator.

Dead LED would definitely indicate a problem with the device. Blinky LED wouldn't necessarily indicate a problem, it could be working or it could be not working. Solid lit LED could indicate either condition.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
it is blinking. i notice that is always on, and on action (when it read the NVMe turn off. I just find odd. any way. just check or if someone has these types of drive install just check.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Korth
Level 14
I find the whole notion of HDD LEDs a little odd these days.

Back in the dark ages of computing we needed an indicator on the front of the chassis to see if/when the thing was working. You could tell a lot about what your computer was (or wasn't) doing by looking at the LED. But these days the HDD LED is not even connected. More accurately, it's connected to the motherboard and it does get lit, but it doesn't actually convey any useful information about if/when the system drive or any other drive is actually doing something. Built into every PC chassis but it serves little purpose.

I would much rather prefer a bank of HDD LEDs which could be linked directly to connectors in a number of physical drives, not indirectly to whatever the motherboard thinks is probably happening. Ideally a two-colour indicator which (roughly) indicates Read and Write operations - it's not a decorative LED so it might as well be a maximally functional one, lol.

(Then again, I also imagine a "perfect" world where every USB port has such a multi-colour indicator, let you know when the port hardware itself detects a USB device plugged in, and when it's actively reading or writing data. And I'm still enamoured by standard-issue numeric panels from ancient PCs - even though the values they displayed were manually configured by physical jumpers across the LED segments instead of some sort of automatic real-time hardware monitor - boy, were those things cool!)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

mcleod52
Level 8
I find the light is only on when the drive is busy. I have my M.2 drive plugged into M1.

mcleod52 wrote:
I find the light is only on when the drive is busy. I have my M.2 drive plugged into M1.

now I am worry! cause that was my understood regarding the light activity. Mine is ON always and blink with activity. I have to check that.

I have my nmve on M2 port since gets better air from the front fans. If i change that to M1 will have problems?
Learn, Play Enjoy!