cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL752VW-DH74: Battery 0%, not charging

MogenarZ
Level 7
Hello,

I have had my current Asus laptop, a GL752VW-DH74, for slightly over a year now. A few weeks ago, I awoke to find that my battery had depleted and would not charge. The battery showed no prior signs of serious wear. Is this a hardware issue or something different?
14 REPLIES 14

Bill
Level 7
Hello MogenarZ
Can you tell us a bit more about your situation?
Were it turned off before you went to sleep?
Do you remember how much power remaining at the time?
Were the PSU plugged in the whole time?
Is this the first time you encountered this?
Did it happen again afterwards?

Thank you for responding! In regards to your questions:

-I do not recall if the computer was off or merely in sleep; this happened several weeks ago.
-I do not recall how much power was remaining before my computer went to sleep; I believe it had at least 30% left.
-I do not believe the computer was plugged in when I went to sleep. However, since then, I have had to plug my laptop in at all times to use it.
-This is the first time I have encountered this particular issue.
-It has been a constant issue since it first happened; I have not been able to run my computer purely off battery since this issue originally occurred.

I have tried reinstalling the battery driver in Device Manager ("Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery") several times to no avail. I have heard that, for other models, updating the BIOS helps with this issue, but the BIOS update instructions stated that some power should be in the battery before starting the update. I have not tried to update my BIOS as a result; should my laptop be forced to try to use its battery during the update, it won't get very far.

I don't have an answer, but wanted to chime in that I'm experiencing a similar issue. I noticed on July 11 that my laptop wouldn't power up without being plugged in. Capacity for my battery is now less than half of the max capacity, and I bought my laptop only a little over a year ago.

Presently, it will now only charge to 85%; I have lost 3% capacity in the past two days. I sent a message to Asus via their support contact form on the website, and have been chatting on facebook via their page, but no one has offered a solution, and they have only stated that the warranty for the battery is one year.

This means in a matter of weeks, my computer will be useless without the adapter, and it is only a little over a year old. I primarily use it for school work and some gaming. I shut it down completely every night, my computer is not overclocked or otherwise altered, and it's *really* disappointing to see that there is little to no response, given the money I shelled out for what appeared to be a reputable company's product.

Anyone else get a response from the company that is helpful?

Eleiyas
Level 10
@Mogenarz:
your issue is usually caused by battery overdischarge; what I mean is that usually, when the unit shuts down for low battery, it still has 1 or 2% backup power left in it. When it over discharges, it will hit 0% and there is only one thing I know of that might fix your issue.

1 - make sure your unit is completely turned off

2 - perform hard reset (hold down power button for 30 seconds to a minute (recommend 1 minute))

3 - again, make sure it is completely turned off

4 - leave it plugged in and charging for at least 10-12 hours. DO NOT TURN IT ON DURING THIS PERIOD!

5 - Good luck!

If you still have the same issue, then you will need a new battery.

---------------------------------------------------------
@Erinnadeau

if you are sure that your laptop has not been exposed to any excessive heat (or cold), then it sounds likely you just have a faulty battery.

Eleiyas@ASUS - no extreme heat or cold exposure for my laptop. I tried a hard reset, tried reflashing the BIOS, and nothing. I did *not* try the hard reset and leaving it off and plugged for 10-12 hours, so I will attempt that overnight. The capacity of my battery is now less than half what it was a little over a week ago, and when plugged in, occasionally, it will say the battery is charging, but never gets past 85%, or it says it's plugged in and not charging, but in both instances, as well as when the laptop is unplugged, the battery light blinks.

Will return with results after I try the hard reset/overnight charge.

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
@Mogenarz:
your issue is usually caused by battery overdischarge; what I mean is that usually, when the unit shuts down for low battery, it still has 1 or 2% backup power left in it. When it over discharges, it will hit 0% and there is only one thing I know of that might fix your issue.

1 - make sure your unit is completely turned off

2 - perform hard reset (hold down power button for 30 seconds to a minute (recommend 1 minute))

3 - again, make sure it is completely turned off

4 - leave it plugged in and charging for at least 10-12 hours. DO NOT TURN IT ON DURING THIS PERIOD!

5 - Good luck!

If you still have the same issue, then you will need a new battery.

---------------------------------------------------------
@Erinnadeau

if you are sure that your laptop has not been exposed to any excessive heat (or cold), then it sounds likely you just have a faulty battery.

So, I went through this process, and no dice. I received an email from ASUS recommending the same, and recommending I reformat my computer. I don't believe this to be a Windows issue, and given all of the battery issues I've read about with ASUS notebooks, I am convinced this is a matter of product quality (or lack thereof). I received a service email from ASUS, which seems like even less of a solution; that being to send my computer in for repair (in NYC, nowhere near me), at an out of warranty price of $690.

For a flippin' battery, are you kidding me?!

If I had a GL552, I would be able to buy the battery for $26.99 on newegg. Unfortunately, there are no reputable resellers offering the battery that the 752VW uses.

I'm disappointed, and will not be spending another penny on ASUS products.

erinnadeau wrote:
So, I went through this process, and no dice. I received an email from ASUS recommending the same, and recommending I reformat my computer. I don't believe this to be a Windows issue, and given all of the battery issues I've read about with ASUS notebooks, I am convinced this is a matter of product quality (or lack thereof). I received a service email from ASUS, which seems like even less of a solution; that being to send my computer in for repair (in NYC, nowhere near me), at an out of warranty price of $690.

For a flippin' battery, are you kidding me?!

If I had a GL552, I would be able to buy the battery for $26.99 on newegg. Unfortunately, there are no reputable resellers offering the battery that the 752VW uses.

I'm disappointed, and will not be spending another penny on ASUS products.

The fix I posted was more for the OP than for you 😕

To me it just seems like your battery is dying - I will see if I can do anything for you in regards to the hefty price you were quoted by sending this to Bahz over at HQ, who may be able to get something arranged for you.

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
The fix I posted was more for the OP than for you 😕

To me it just seems like your battery is dying - I will see if I can do anything for you in regards to the hefty price you were quoted by sending this to Bahz over at HQ, who may be able to get something arranged for you.

I appreciate the extra effort, Eleiyas - thank you!

erinnadeau wrote:
I appreciate the extra effort, Eleiyas - thank you!

I believe Bahz is on sick leave right now, but I have sent him a message regarding your case.

If he doesn't get back to you soon, I'll try going through Bill@ASUS or FuryA@ASUS.

Glad I can be of assistance! 🙂