Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thanks for the info

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Imp View Post
    Thanks for the info
    OT, but where is that wave in your avatar pic?

New ROGer Array

ok guys here is the thing, even if the g7 can go as high as 90C, but why is it that when i play game my temperature is around 80. but after a while in the game i get vertical stripes of death. it is so frustrating for me. and even right now im just running google chrome but my core temperatures are around 66- 75C ( in celsius). please someone help me guys.

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abojung View Post
    ok guys here is the thing, even if the g7 can go as high as 90C, but why is it that when i play game my temperature is around 80. but after a while in the game i get vertical stripes of death. it is so frustrating for me. and even right now im just running google chrome but my core temperatures are around 66- 75C ( in celsius). please someone help me guys.
    That kind of issue isn't caused by heat on the G73JH. It's caused by a mismatch of vBIOS settings and your GPU card. There is an updated vBIOS in the stickies and on my Driver Reference page. See the GSOD Fix thread for instructions.
    Kicking Ass Since Today

I was previously having heating issues on my JH, 95C after 10 minutes of gaming, with what should be medium load settings. All I did was install the Latest working driver listed in Chastity's sticky and the vBIOS update and now it's dropped to around 72C while gaming with high load settings. Still kind of shocked at the difference. Totally overlooked it at first, as it never made that much of a difference on my previous lappy, definitely worth trying though.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    I was previously having heating issues on my JH, 95C after 10 minutes of gaming, with what should be medium load settings. All I did was install the Latest working driver listed in Chastity's sticky and the vBIOS update and now it's dropped to around 72C while gaming with high load settings. Still kind of shocked at the difference. Totally overlooked it at first, as it never made that much of a difference on my previous lappy, definitely worth trying though.
    Make sure to check all 3 temps with one of the programs listed earlier. (GPU-Z, HWiNFO, etc) to make sure your not just reading the lowest temp. Something about the latest 11.01a's makes the CCC read the lowest temp of the 3 instead of the hottest. (On my end at least). My GPU 1 temp which was what CCC was reading, was only hitting 82C or so but my GPU 2 was hitting 106.5C and GPU 3 was at 95C so do not let the driver fool you that it is running cooler. Make sure to check to see all three temps.

Also a not for people that might want a postpone style fix, if you are playing games that go over 60FPS with ease, try turning on VSYNC which limits the Framerate to 60fps. This will lower the workload on the GPU slightly and can allow it to run cooler. A big example game where this helps is EVE Online where I regularly get over 100FPS but then the temps are not far off from a Furmark burn lol. With Vsync even before I repasted it dropped it into the 70-80C range and only used about 70% GPU usage vs 99%.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@ASUS View Post
    ... and blow the dust OUT of the rear vents. ...
    how should I blow the dust out?

Sorry for that stupid question :P

ROG Member Array

Hey everyone. I stumbled upon this forum last night when I was googling "g73jh shutdown".
    You see I installd Battlefield Bad Company 2 last night, and was playing the Vietnam expansion with a couple of friends. The first thing I thought was "wow, the game runs real smooth". No lag or any issues with performance, and this was at High settings.
    However, after about 5-6 minutes of gaming, my computer suddenly shuts down. No warning, error message or anything. I thought that this was wierd, and rebooted the PC and started playing again. Now the same thing happens. At this point I was thinking it has to be a thermal issue, so I installed RealTemp to monitor the temperatures. They were around 65-70 C, which my friend told me was fine. I posted on various forums, but everyone seemed to be certain that this is a problem caused by overheating.

I have not had this problem with Starcraft 2, however while running at Ultra settings I have got the Vertical stripes of death a number of times. I turned down the settings a bit, and the problem has not appeared since, knock on wood. I tried updating my ATI drivers, but that didn't help either. Some people here reported that flashing the BIOS seemed to do the trick, but I'm not comfortable picking with the BIOS too much. Some people even said that they got frequent shutdowns after a flash, so that's another reason why I don't want to do it.

I read on other forums etc. that about 20% of the people who bought this laptop are experiencing overheating issues, and that the only good solution is to get a GPU repaste job. I don't want to flash my BIOS myself, so I most certainly do not want to physically open up my laptop without being 110% sure of what I'm doing. So I guess this pretty much leaves me with only one choice; sending in my laptop for repair? I live in Norway and I don't know if Asus has a norwegian department, so I guess I'll have to call the store where I bought it.

I downloaded HWiNFO32 as someone suggested to another member here, and these are my idle temps:

Temps while playing Bad Company 2:

This was after about 2 minutes, the temp on "GPU TS2 (Shader)" reached 103C before I quit, seems my screenshot didn't get saved.
    Surely this must be a overheating issue?

What options am I left with?
    1) sending my laptop in for fixing/repasting
    2) buying a good laptop cooler - this might not even work that well because of the g73's unconventional venting solutions?

If there's any way for me to fix this problem without sending my laptop in, please let me know. I'm frustrated here, and if I send it in it might take weeks before they get the job done and send it back to me

I'm sorry, I know this is a long read, I was just so happy that I found a dedicated G73 forum where people might have clues of what to do.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

@Thyes:

Only a GPU repaste is going to fix your overheat issues....a cooler won't do it and neither will updating the driver.

Perhaps see if there's an authorized Asus repair center near you to do the repaste, and maybe they'll do the display adapter firmware for you as well if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    @Thyes:

Only a GPU repaste is going to fix your overheat issues....a cooler won't do it and neither will updating the driver.

Perhaps see if there's an authorized Asus repair center near you to do the repaste, and maybe they'll do the display adapter firmware for you as well if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.
    In plain language, that's the BIOS flashing you're talking about?

Thanks for the reply. That's what I feared I live in a rather small city, so I don't know how many authorized Asus centres we have here. If I get some other techs to do the repaste and stuff, will that break my warranty?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast