cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noob question but VERY crucial question needs urgently answering!

Sjf2k17
Level 7
ok so after getting my cpu, motherboard and ram back i have bought some new thermal paste to obviously reassemble the computer... i bought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/a37/Fans-Be-Quiet-BZ001-DC1-Thermal-Grease/B00BLJGLAW/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie... - which im told is very good.

HOWEVER my main true question is, is this thermal methodr isky to use on the ryzen 1800x cpu? Before you instantly reject it please look at the product details.... it specifically says it can be used for heatsinks, cpu boards and many other cooling appliances ALSO it can withstand approximately 120-180 oC (or so ive been told).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Compound-Adhesive-Conductive-Cooling/dp/B072PQGKY1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

so the reason im asking is, i bought that tape because i would rather have a nice. clean. stress free time than to be messing about making sure levels are equal or no air pockets are in the thermal paste. has ANYONE tried using the thermal tape for high end cpu's instead of the patches or the paste? i cant find no articles on it nor can i find any youtube test experiments on its o im literally clueless as to whether its safe to try the tape or not? please please please read the full description of the tape before judging it due to traditional values.

*edited and added* so i found that even overclockers sell a variant of the tape with a pretty reassuring description = still im skeptic though as i still cant find no video tests using this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-ak-tt12-80-thermal-adhesive-tape-th-001-ak.html

personally i dont think it is viable to use the tape otherwise EVERYONE would be using it, whod wanna do things messy and slow and stressfull when you can just cut a few strips and wham bam thankyou man, hey presto your done?
18 REPLIES 18

Nate152
Hi Sjfk17

I've never used thermal tape or a thermal pad on a cpu, I've always used thermal compound. I've never seen anyone here use a thermal pad on a cpu, likely because it can't fill in the small imperfections of the cpu's IHS.

It would be better to use a thermal compound and the best on the market at the moment is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut with a 12.5 W/mk rating and is what I use.

http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/16-kryonaut-en

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Sjfk17

I've never used thermal tape or a thermal pad on a cpu, I've always used thermal compound. I've never seen anyone here use a thermal pad on a cpu, likely because it can't fill in the small imperfections of the cpu's IHS.

It would be better to use a thermal compound and the best on the market at the moment is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut with a 12.5 W/mk rating and is what I use.

http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/16-kryonaut-en

first of all thank you to all who replied i was right in my skepticism on the tape just thought id at least ask as you never get anywhere by not asking right? ill never claim to be a computer guru just because i use common sense and seee building a computer much like putting a jigsaw together so thanks to everyone who made valid points and didnt flame me for being curious.... couple of things id like to say though please?

so tape would be decent if it had better thermal transfer im guessing? maybe they need to use a different material?

secondly ok i grew up building windows 386 systems and amigas and first proper cpu was the amd Am9300 right through the athalons the phenoms untill bulldozer then decided for a change... all those processors you had to cover the cpu completely and evenly with no air pockets.... but now some of you are saying we should be using less substance and basically use the paste as a thermal transferring "washer"? why is that like it is now, could someone please enlighten me?

and ok so i see so many patterns for thermal paste and i was advised to use the Dot, Dot Line pattern on my ryzen 1800x im using the hydro H110i AIO extreme cpu cooler... so what do you guys recommend how i apply the paste to my cpu? dot dot line or one dot in centre then gently blend it over the whole cpu evenly?

Sjf2k17 wrote:
so tape would be decent if it had better thermal transfer im guessing? maybe they need to use a different material?

secondly ok i grew up building windows 386 systems and amigas and first proper cpu was the amd Am9300 right through the athalons the phenoms untill bulldozer then decided for a change... all those processors you had to cover the cpu completely and evenly with no air pockets.... but now some of you are saying we should be using less substance and basically use the paste as a thermal transferring "washer"? why is that like it is now, could someone please enlighten me?

Tape is unlikely to ever reach the conductance of paste just because of the thickness. Paste squishes very thin and fills only voids while allowing the metal parts to be as close as possible. Basically you are substituting paste for air since air is a poor conductor. Paste is better than air but not as good as metal so you don't want to add any additional thickness.

IMO, it's OK to spread paste over the CPU vs placing a drop. The heat sink is going to spread it around as necessary anyway so the only difference is that it's a little bit more work to carefully spread it. But I guess pre-spreading it all the way to the corners might tempt you to use too much and have it squishing out onto your socket. So I guess it's probably easier to just apply to the center.

The other reason that spreading to the edges is less critical is that as the manufacturing process shrinks the cores keep getting smaller while the CPU caps have remained relatively the same size. That means most of the heat is actually in the center of the cap directly over the cores. As long as most of the center of the CPU gets pasted (~80%+ area) the heat sink can do its job just fine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
Thermal paste and tape are insulators compared to metal so you want to use as little material as possible while filling voids. Using a pad is guaranteed to have horrible performance because it transfers heat too slowly.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

haihane
Level 13
i knew i saw it somewhere on youtube, the dude who'd try that at least once and upload it to youtube.
and....
*drumrolls*

no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

andyliu
Level 9
For thermal conductivity: the higher the value the better.

now let's look at the tape you linked
* Thermal Conductivity:1.0w/m-K

i will just consider it as like having toothpaste on the cpu

With the heat that CPU can generate, i will assume that tape will actually melt on the CPU and make it difficult to remove.
I will just spend few extra bucks to get something better.

haihane
Level 13

i personally use the pea or X (cross method).
but in the end, it doesn't really matter. you want to spread them like peanut butter jelly, that's fine with me too. if you're using liquid metal, you probably have to spread them peanut butter style.
too much isn't that good, but too less is worse.

Crit (previously named tek syndicate) was a channel i used to frequent. not too long ago they imploded due to the dispute with dwindle, scandals, and stuff.

but what they said in this video is still valid. imo.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Sjf2k17
Level 7
Sjf2k17 wrote:
ok so after getting my cpu, motherboard and ram back i have bought some new thermal paste to obviously reassemble the computer... i bought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/a37/Fans-Be-Quiet-BZ001-DC1-Thermal-Grease/B00BLJGLAW/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie... - which im told is very good.

HOWEVER my main true question is, is this thermal methodr isky to use on the ryzen 1800x cpu? Before you instantly reject it please look at the product details.... it specifically says it can be used for heatsinks, cpu boards and many other cooling appliances ALSO it can withstand approximately 120-180 oC (or so ive been told).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Compound-Adhesive-Conductive-Cooling/dp/B072PQGKY1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

so the reason im asking is, i bought that tape because i would rather have a nice. clean. stress free time than to be messing about making sure levels are equal or no air pockets are in the thermal paste. has ANYONE tried using the thermal tape for high end cpu's instead of the patches or the paste? i cant find no articles on it nor can i find any youtube test experiments on its o im literally clueless as to whether its safe to try the tape or not? please please please read the full description of the tape before judging it due to traditional values.

*edited and added* so i found that even overclockers sell a variant of the tape with a pretty reassuring description = still im skeptic though as i still cant find no video tests using this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-ak-tt12-80-thermal-adhesive-tape-th-001-ak.html

personally i dont think it is viable to use the tape otherwise EVERYONE would be using it, whod wanna do things messy and slow and stressfull when you can just cut a few strips and wham bam thankyou man, hey presto your done?

OK so again thanks guys for your inputs but I must admit I made a stupid mistake in my first post as I linked the wrong product I'd already ordered and had recieved.... I linked the*
Thermal grease for fans.... what I actually ordered was this thermal paste -*https://www.scan.co.uk/products/be-quiet-dc-1-thermal-paste-none-conductive-very-high-performance-fo...

So I'm still wondering how I'm going to apply this paste as I'm assuming it's a metallic compound you guys mentioned earlier.... and anyway this paste will do me as I won't be needing the mega*KRYONAUT paste as that's used for extreme overclockers .... I'm happily guna say I will never overclock my system.

Anyways today is judgement day the last of my pieces have arrived for my new build... my new EVGA supernova G3 750W gold (Plus 80) full modular psu has arrived and my new EVGA *gtx 1060 gpu has arrived... let's hope I do the thermal paste right as if I **** up that's a few thousand pounds down the drain... sadly in u.k there is no protection for accidental **** ups.... even if you spill a tiny bit of NONE CONDUCTIVE thermal past on a mob you void the warranty if you damage the cpu through ****ing up on the thermal paste applying part you void the warranty ... if you tweak with any settings and raise them ABOVE or even BELOW factory settings you void warranty lol... *so with your guys replies in mind and since my paste is considered what you call metallic paste I guess I'm just guna have to do an even spread completely covering the cpu .... am I right guys? And is that paste I ordered classed as metalic? I should assume so as it's details are as follows:*

Very high thermal conductivity of 7.5W/mK provides exceptional heat transfer between chip and cooler •
No electrical conductivity • Premium formulation Metal oxide compounds: 60% Zinc oxide compounds: 30% Silicone compounds: 10% •
3g capacity is enough for 9 applications on average • Easily applied with provided spatula • Impressive temperature range of -50°C to +150°C

*so taking into account it's a metalic paste, I can get 9 uses out of it AND I literally can't **** up or I lose everything voiding warranty... I'm absolutely ****ing nervous to give this a shot and still have no idea how I should apply it.

Ok so after watching countless thermal techniques on youtube, reading quite a few reddit threads about which is he best Herman technique to use and then finally finishing off my search for answers by reading -*https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

I've decided to go with the X technique it's less messy than the *smooth and rough equal spreads, it covers more of the cpu if done right and has the least about or at least size of air pockets in and on top of it that it had the better thermal testing end result ...soo professor X it is.