cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet w/ cable ****ing up big time

korre
Level 9
Hey guys, was some time I wrote in here...

So I've noticed some issues with my laptop just recently. For almost eternity i've been sitting online with my wi-fi.

And some time ago I decided to make it a bit neat in here with the cords and what not. Meanwhile I did that, I also got a cord for my intrawebz, to my shock... **** is just ****ing up big time... I can be online , then from nowhere **** is just disconnecting me and giving me the triangle with the upside down finger in it.

So my question, what dafuk can it be? 😞
10 REPLIES 10

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I'm not sure I fully understand the question.....maybe if you describe the behavior without all the asterisks. 😉

If you are saying that your LAN is not connecting reliably, I'd suggest updating your ethernet driver.

yo, yes sorry.. sometimes my english skills can fluctuate. Yes you're absolutely correct, my LAN connection isnt reliable.. Once it shut down and I get that triangle "trying to find a network" , it never works again until I changed back to wireless. So when I want to download something and get up to those 10-15mbps I switch back to LAN.

My main problem with this is that I really want to play via LAN, because the wi-fi card is really BAD, it gives me some random freeze intervals, eventho the router is merely 2 meters away, no walls inbetween

dstrakele
Level 14
Have you contacted your ISP tech support regarding loss of your LAN connection?

Have you tested it with a friend's computer once your ASUS laptop has lost connection?

If my laptop was working fine with a wireless connection, and then I rewired my network and could no longer get a reliable internet connection, I might suspect the ethernet cable, or cable to the modem, or something else I just did, rather than suspect it is a laptop issue.

BTW - What model ASUS laptop do you have?

NOTE: Not much point troubleshooting your WLAN until your LAN issues are resolved. Once they are:

What model WLAN card does it have and what version WLAN driver are you running?

Are you getting a strong signal from your router?

Are you using b/g or n?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I'd also turn off the wireless while you're using LAN. Windows will usually prioritize network connections, and if your wireless is the "default" connection, it may be trying to switch to it.

What laptop do you have, and what LAN card? About a year ago, there were some Atheros LAN drivers than had problems like this, so if you happen to have Atheros, be sure to update it.

Hi guys

I have the G73SW

And when I connect with the LAN I always disable Wi-fi immedietly so that it wont cause any problems. The cable has worked as intended until just recently, no changes has been made. Only moved the router a bit closer to the livingroom instead of the basement, so I can get maximal signal if I intend going wi-fi. Nothing new has been changed besides a longer cable for the electricity to the modem.

and the LAN is a Realteak with driver version 7.37.1229.2010
the wifi is a ****ty Atheros with driver version 8.0.0.316

Are these badbois up to date or what?

I dont assume it's my laptop just out of the blue. I already tried a different cable once, shut down that aswell. The modem is nothing wrong with, as I have another laptop as a media station connected 24/7 with LAN cable.

korre wrote:
The modem is nothing wrong with, as I have another laptop as a media station connected 24/7 with LAN cable.

I assume you mean your router? It's possible for a router to block particular devices if, for example, it's using a MAC filter. (Another setting that can cause difficulties for new clients is silent SSID broadcasting.) So you can't always assume the router is not at issue just because other devices connect successfully.

Try disabling Windows Firewall. I'd also try the the latest driver directly from Realtek.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I'd try the the latest driver directly from Realtek.

korre
Level 9
where do I get hold of them? 😞