cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need a no compromise m-ATX Board for X299!!

CSN7
Level 7
Seriously what are the manufacturers thinking? No one but EVGA put out a m-ATX X299 Board for the Skylake X launch. SLI is out. Trend is going towards smaller cases. Show us some engineering skills ASUS! You did it with X99 and your marvelous X99-m WS board that had 2x 8Pin connectors, a real fin-array for VRM/mosfet cooling and decent onboard sound. All in a micro-ATX formfactor. Just take the same board, put the new chipset and socket on. Stick a RGB connector in the corner for 2017 and done.

Just a reminder: There are enthusiasts that want the most powerful pc in the smallest enclosure possible.

ASUS please.
24 REPLIES 24

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The X99-M WS came much later down the pipeline.

Bash4Sure wrote:
Just take the same board, put the new chipset and socket on. Stick a RGB connector in the corner for 2017 and done.

Interesting.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Vlada011
Level 10
Yes, you are right. But mATX board need to have 3 slots and single x1 or x4 slot.
Now ASUS found way how to mount M.2 without problem. PCH have 24 PCI-E lanes.

X99-M WS was nicest small X99 motherboard, definitely.
ASUS produced before Rampage Gene same as Maximus Gene.

And no reason to VRM or power senction is smaller or different than big motherboards from high class. Don't need to be premium but VRM, chokes, controllers, everything must be same as ATX or E-ATX board because mATX is only for someone who want 1 GPU and smaller case.
Definitely need mATX. I notice people who bought brand they don't prefere because ASUS didn't launched ROG mATX.
But ASUS probably better know than we what could be flaw of mATX motherboard. If you ask me board need to work with all Skylake-X models, with i9 series as well, overclocked.

FuryA
Level 8
HEDT M-ATX board is gorgeous
Since RAMPAGE III GENE , after that
There is no ROG series gene board for HEDT 🙂
Could try to pass Your expectation for R&D Team

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
There are no ROG series gene board for HEDT 🙂

Yes I agree 100%, it's about time for the return of the RAMPAGE Gene! That would actually be amazing! It may even be very similar with those nice fin arrays for the vrms, or why not make it watercooling ready from the start with a little block on the vrms, since you basically would want to watercool those vrms anyways down the road. Even with just some nice fins like the old GENE it would make it very special and Asus' line up of motherboards actually stand out with the most diversity.

Passing it on to R&D would be very much appreciated! I'm sure with the smaller size of Micro-ATX would come a reasonable pricetag that would make a lot of customers very happy.

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
There is no ROG series gene board for HEDT 🙂

Rampage III Gene was motherboard with Intel X58 Chipset.
Small beast with 6 DIMM slots looked great.

ASUS made 3 ROG Motherboards for Intel X79 Chipset.
Rampage IV Extreme, Rampage IV Formula, Rampage IV Gene mATX

and 4th Rampage IV Black Edition later when Ivy X become available.
Rampage IV Gene was so cool motherboard.
Now such motherboard could serve for 4x16GB DDR4, (2+2 DIMM slots)
3x PCI-E x16 slots and 1x PCI-E x4 slot, ASUS DIMM M.2 slot for 2x M.2.
People who use single graphic card could use and x16 slots or one x8 slot for M.2 adapter.
They could use and Intel Optane. Everything on mATX motherboard.

But that mATX motherboard should be tank, I mean like Extreme cut on half, without saving cost on power section, phases, controllers, regulators, chokes, capacitors... Everything as on Extreme, even 8+4 or 8+8 pin CPU.
If ASUS success to put six DIMMs on mATX than could fit all of these features with four DIMM slots.
That mean if customer want i9 18 cores to OC on 4.5GHz in Mini PC no need to worry about anything.

For possible ROG Rampage VI Gene mATX ASUS only should follow layout of Rampage IV Gene and add DIMM.2 and strongest power section.

CSN7
Level 7
I agree with you, totally forgot about it. The Rampage IV Gene mATX was so nice in all aspects. Especially the vrm cooling that we need these days with a heatpipe. Love it. ASUS bring it on! I need a Rog mATX board ASAP for my 12core 😄

Korth
Level 14
Bash4Sure wrote:
Just a reminder: There are enthusiasts that want the most powerful pc in the smallest enclosure possible.

mATX HEDT would have up to 4 PCIe slots which could physically accommodate a pair of double-width cards in x16/x16 multi-GPU. Potentially significant for CUDA/etc, but not a huge gaming/fps gain over mATX mainstream with x8/x8 multi-GPU.

mATX often has to sacrifice physical DIMM slots. Half the RAM capacity with double the RAM channels doesn't seem like a tradeoff worth justifying the price increase for HEDT vs mainstream.

HEDT has more raw CPU ... in a 140W (or so) package. VRM and cooling need to be very robust, doubly so for enthusiasts who want overclocking. But all those big heatsinks and added components occupy precious space which isn't always available on mATX.

mATX could overcome all limitations through the use of riser/extender slots for PCIe cards and DIMMs (and now also M.2 SSDs, lol). And it's always good to have more options - so lol yeah "show us some engineering skills ASUS!" - but SFF enclosures do impose limits on a case-by-case basis.

Bash4Sure wrote:
Just take the same board, put the new chipset and socket on. Stick a RGB connector in the corner for 2017 and done.

It's a little harder than just sawing the bottom slots off the mobo and sticking RGB hardware onboard, lol. Something like the Apex "DIMM.2" would need to be implemented just to utilize the full potential of a 44 lane CPU. Onboard audio component bulk needs to be stripped down. Probably no space to things like a ROG_EXT port. Greater part and power density means greater need to remove waste heat, but large VRM/chipset heatsinks themselves add bulk. Dimensional compatibility with CPU coolers would be restricted. And of course another new variation of X299 firmware/BIOS to support.
I'm not at all saying that it's impossible. Just saying that (alongside all the existing and upcoming Intel/AMD chipsets and processors and platforms) it's probably going to be a little while before ASUS has time to commit towards mATX HEDT offerings.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
(And yeah, I'm thinking it might be time to build some kind of mATX-based "cube" with strong inherent airflow/cooling advantages.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
(I'm seriously thinking of building some kind of mATX-based Threadripper which makes the most of the cooling/airflow advantages inherent to a ducted "cube" chassis.)

[/Korth]