Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to activate chassis fans?

chonk
Level 7
Hello guys,
I have brand new CH6 motherboard.

I have one rear, one top and one front 120mm chassis fan in my case. I'm also using 120mm CPU Fan over my ContacSilent12 cpu cooler.

I tried to change CPU Cooler's fan with SP120 RGB fan. It didn't work, it bricked the fan. I tried second one, it did bricked the fan too. Maybe because that fan is non-pwm and 3-pin. Is it?

Anyway, now when I check BIOS or AISuite3 I can't see my top and front 120mm fan at there. There's no way to control them. Maybe I'm missing something. I plug them to my case's fan control. So questions:

1) Should I connect 120mm fans to motherboard only? Is there a way to use them with case and monitor on computer? Because I like clean look without cables around.

2) If I buy RGB 4-Pin PWM fan for my CPU Cooler, can motherboard AURA control that RGB fan? Or should I plug it to RGB port?

3) My case is Phanteks P400S. It came with RGB Strip and I plugged it to case. I can control it with button on my case. Should I connect it to RGB port on my motherboard.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

andyliu
Level 9
to my knowledge, you should be able to use 3pin/4pin fan on 4 pin header.
shouldn't have issue. What do you mean by brick the fan? Have you try just connect it to the fan controller on your case?
And since you connect your fan to the fan controller to your case, you will not be able to make any adjustment with motherboard unless it's physically connected to the motherboard.

As far as any RGB components, you will have to make sure it's listed as AURA compatible. Otherwise, you can just assume it will not work with aura.

I dont know about the RGB strips though, rgb is just gimmick to me, so I have no idea.

Eleiyas
Level 10
Here are a few answers: (@Andyliu already answered a couple)

- Your case's fan controller should have its own software to control the fans, or you'll have to manually do it via the fan controller (if it's an actual touchpanel/switch one).

- Also, fans will not be controllable or such via the motherboard or ASUS software unless they are connected directly to the motherboard.

- I have never heard of fans being ''bricked'''- if you mean not functioning anymore, then try connecting them to the fan controller and seeing if they work there.

- ASUS AURA will only support AURA compatible hardware. If your fans are from a different brand / not AURA compatible, you will need the manufacturer's software to control the RGB lighting effects.

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
Here are a few answers: (@Andyliu already answered a couple)

- Your case's fan controller should have its own software to control the fans, or you'll have to manually do it via the fan controller (if it's an actual touchpanel/switch one).

- Also, fans will not be controllable or such via the motherboard or ASUS software unless they are connected directly to the motherboard.

- I have never heard of fans being ''bricked'''- if you mean not functioning anymore, then try connecting them to the fan controller and seeing if they work there.

- ASUS AURA will only support AURA compatible hardware. If your fans are from a different brand / not AURA compatible, you will need the manufacturer's software to control the RGB lighting effects.

Sorry, I couldn't find right word to describe. I meant "not functioning anymore". There was also smell like burnt. I bought NZXT AER RGB fans which should be compatible with ASUS Aura. So I will connect them to motherboard. But I can only see CHASSIS 2 port. Where are the other 2 ports that I should connect fans? I will have 3 4-pin fans. Can I use W_PUMP+ port?

chonk wrote:
Sorry, I couldn't find right word to describe. I meant "not functioning anymore". There was also smell like burnt. I bought NZXT AER RGB fans which should be compatible with ASUS Aura. So I will connect them to motherboard. But I can only see CHASSIS 2 port. Where are the other 2 ports that I should connect fans? I will have 3 4-pin fans. Can I use W_PUMP+ port?

In you motherboard manual Page 1.1.2, there is a map of the board with a table of contents for reference. CPU connector are at the top of the diagram - option 5.

Download link here

syldon wrote:
In you motherboard manual Page 1.1.2, there is a map of the board with a table of contents for reference. CPU connector are at the top of the diagram - option 5.

Download link here

Yes, that's what I'm saying actually. There are 3 4-pin ports at top. I plugged CPU Fan to middle one. CPU_opt and AIO_PUMP pins are empty. Can I use them for chassis fans?

chonk wrote:
Yes, that's what I'm saying actually. There are 3 4-pin ports at top. I plugged CPU Fan to middle one. CPU_opt and AIO_PUMP pins are empty. Can I use them for chassis fans?

You can use any connector to connect a fan. But software will pick up on the CPU specific connectors for temperature activation. They may pick up on a fan on another connector, and it may not be an issue at all. But using the CPU connector will make the fan more easily recognisable with software.

The manual tells you that you can use the AOI connector even though it is meant for a water pump. But what I found was that the AOI pump had less variation when it came to setting up temps and such. Using the other fans means you can set up to run with a much lower fan speed on low temps.

syldon
Level 9
chonk wrote:
1) Should I connect 120mm fans to motherboard only? Is there a way to use them with case and monitor on computer? Because I like clean look without cables around.

Connecting directly to the board allows you to use the motherboards feature to control the fan speed. Connecting to an outside source means you would need another way to control the fan or run it at 100%. The H110i uses an USB connector to control the CPU fans via software.

chonk wrote:
2) If I buy RGB 4-Pin PWM fan for my CPU Cooler, can motherboard AURA control that RGB fan? Or should I plug it to RGB port?.

This is purely suck it and see area. Unless someone else has bought the fan, and then they may give good or bad response. I personally use a corsair h110i cooler. Their software has picked up everything I have thrown at it so far. There is a new release of Aura out today according to one post on this forum.

chonk wrote:
3) My case is Phanteks P400S. It came with RGB Strip and I plugged it to case. I can control it with button on my case. Should I connect it to RGB port on my motherboard.

Connecting to the mobo may allow software to control the RGB strip. With software you can mix it up a bit by using variations of power to create different colours.

Usually external controller will only allow a 3 colour variation.

There is very little to controlling them. They have four wires. One is a negative with three positive feeds, one for each colour. Push a current through any one of the dedicated positives will give you that corresponding colour.