cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 Speeds

devdi
Level 7
Hi,

I bought an asus rampage v extreme motherboard which has 10 rear usb 3.0 ports available. we are using it to connect devices and copy software across but the m.2 PM961 ssd we are using is fast enough yet when using more than 1 usb 3.0 port the transfer speeds drop. Are the 10 ports shared usb 3.0 speed or is this a motherboard issue as all drivers are installed and up to date. even the 3.1 card that came with the board slows down a little in transfer speeds with both ports in use at once.
The PCIE_X4_1 isn't in use either.
5 REPLIES 5

devdi
Level 7
Seems to be a limiting factor for usb controllers on the board. Does the motherboard only have a single usb controller?

Korth
Level 14
It's not a hardware issue. The USB hardware already demonstrates it can attain high bandwidth (transfer speeds) when using a single connected USB device.

It's a software issue. Once the USB drivers are properly enumerated they pass control onto the (Windows) OS. Anyone who's ever copied files/folders in Windows knows how terrible this can be. Multiple simultaneous transfers divide speed up into ever-diminishing slices of bandwidth, and the WinOS doesn't recover them (re-allocate "free" bandwidth) properly once one transfer has been completed. I call it "bad software multiplexing", an engineering joke (which is, admittedly, not very funny anyhow).
TL;DR version: don't blame ASUS for this one, blame Microsoft.

When your USB devices are all plugged into the USB ports, click through all your Windows Device Manager properties. You'll have options which allow you to balance Power and Bandwidth allocations - although they're somewhat limited and not very useful outside of optimizing very specific tasks on very specific configurations - still, you might find them useful.

Don't "Cut&Paste" when you can "Copy&Paste". Windows handles queued instructions poorly, it will take geometrically longer to Cut&Paste files than it would take you to manually Copy files then Delete files. Don't move ten folders or do things on ten drives all at once when you can do them one folder or one drive at a time - unless you plan to let Windows take charge and take forever to do what can (should) be accomplished in a fraction of the time.

You can try other file managers, file shells, and USB softwares which all promise to accelerate such mundane chores. I've never bothered - mostly because these things are typically commercial software which won't work until you buy them and, well, because there's so many utterly free linux versions available which already handle such multi-USB multi-drive multi-folder transfers quite efficiently, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I understand a single device can gain maximum speed. But what i'm wondering is it actually just a single USB controller managing all 10 usb 3.0 ports? If it is then having 10 usb 3.0 ports seems rather...well useless. I've found a usb pcie card that can offer a single controller per port gaining max lane speed of 500MBps of a pcie 2.0 x4 card.

p.s i'm not using file manager or anything like that. It's a program that mounts the software and then installs and copies to each device via usb. This write speed is where it's becoming limited and the software is not the issue.

Korth
Level 14
Each USB controller handles two USB ports. Standard 1C/2P arrangement, as defined in the most venerable of USB specifications.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Just because the port is 3.0 doesn't mean the USB sticks your using are. 🙂

Other than that update the drivers from the manufacturer of the USB controller.

I have a vague recollection of their being a firmware update on this board somewhere for USB.

Your giving Windows a bad wrap, windows 10 does fine for me cutting and pasting a whole 2tb drive to my NVME drive at 2.5GB's a sec, and reads at 3.5GB's.

Though it will cost you your kidneys for a 2TB one, it did mine anyway. lol I don't use USB much these days as far as sticks.:D