Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING issues

theprob
Level 7
Hello,

Anyone experienced the following with the mentioned board:

After 6/10 system starts my system don't see the LAN adapter or my mouse at all. I need to restart the system or replug my mouse to solve the issue. I've experienced the mouse connection issue within UEFI too. Furthermore I experiencing further annoying problems, such as random video signal loose (especially when I start a fan calibration within AISuite 3). After that, I can only revive my system with a hardreset.

I tried to reinstall windows/nvidia driver/chipset driver, etc. And of course, I have the latest BIOS version.

Now, I sent back the board to the vendor, because ASUS Support advised that. They will revise it. I hope soo, that they won't evalute that it's just a SW related issue...
1,485 REPLIES 1,485

mariuscc
Level 7
Yeah I have similar issues as well.

Black screens, system hangs, systems locks needing power unplug (reset or power button did not work). No mouse trouble tho. They seem to be random and I cannot reproduce them.
However they happen more often when overclocking my memories or trying to run them at their rated speed and timings (both manual and DOCP settings).

I am running a Ryzen 5 1600 and corsair lpx 3000 c15. Corsair seems to be the worse choice atm for ram on this board. I hope they get fixed soon.

Another bug i saw is, when setting manual timings with docp in uefi if i set 15-17-17 (my mem's rating) the i get 16-17-17 on boot (uefi and windows). If i set 17-17-17 i get 18-17-17 again in both bios and windows. 16-17-17 works no prob. Also the settings that appear in memory timings section are mostly different to what the memory utility is saying for xmp profile.

UEFI is buggy as it stands at this point but we hope that bios programmers are active in fixing them and getting this board working as it shoud 🙂

Cheers

PS. If any one has gotten said memories stable at their rated speeds PLEASE let us know how you did it. Thanks.

The vendor wrote a feedback and seems the my board was faulty so I will get a new one.

mariuscc wrote:
Yeah I have similar issues as well.

Black screens, system hangs, systems locks needing power unplug (reset or power button did not work). No mouse trouble tho. They seem to be random and I cannot reproduce them.
However they happen more often when overclocking my memories or trying to run them at their rated speed and timings (both manual and DOCP settings).

I am running a Ryzen 5 1600 and corsair lpx 3000 c15. Corsair seems to be the worse choice atm for ram on this board. I hope they get fixed soon.

Another bug i saw is, when setting manual timings with docp in uefi if i set 15-17-17 (my mem's rating) the i get 16-17-17 on boot (uefi and windows). If i set 17-17-17 i get 18-17-17 again in both bios and windows. 16-17-17 works no prob. Also the settings that appear in memory timings section are mostly different to what the memory utility is saying for xmp profile.

UEFI is buggy as it stands at this point but we hope that bios programmers are active in fixing them and getting this board working as it shoud 🙂

Cheers

PS. If any one has gotten said memories stable at their rated speeds PLEASE let us know how you did it. Thanks.
#

To help stabilize memory, you may need to tune the Proc ODT parameter (if you have the option in UEFI). Check the AMB CBS menu. Tuning it can take some time. Increase or decrease on step at a time, and use a memory test to gauge stability.

Ryzen's memory controller doesn't cope with some memory ICs well, and even when it does, density has quite an impact. Speeds under DDR4-3000 are usually easy. From DDR4-3000 onwards, things start to become conditional. At this stage, if AMD is going to do something to improve memory overclocking, I'd imagine it's a long way off.

Hello everyone,

I have newly registered on forums just to voice some of the problems I am facing with this motherboard. I really need to know if its just my motherboard that is bad or it is a general UEFI issue that can be fixed later on. I need to know now so that i can return it before the return window closes.

I have R5 1600 installed along with Corsair LPX 16 3200 CL16 RAM.
Windows 10 is fully updated. Fresh installation.
UEFI version is 0805.( I also tried the one with 0402 or something)

Everything is at stock. Zero OC.

Here are the issues;

1) After a cold boot, sometimes the LAN adapter is not working. The lights don't blink and computer does not see any connection( No adapter ). After a reset it starts to work again. This happened with both of the UEFI versions i tried, but more so with the latest.
2) After a cold boot, sometimes computer does not boot, only blackscreen and stays there. CPU q-led is lighting red constantly. Need to reset.
3) One time, again after a cold boot, blackscreen, DRAM q-led is blinking. Need to reset.
4) Latest version of Memtest86 does not work. Computer resets while the program is retrieving hardware information. (Exactly after it says "Retrieving memory controller information" or something like that). But it works if it is started up as old BIOS version. I tried with different USB drives (2.0 and 3.0) and also just with single stick of memory. Problem still persists.

Now I did 9 hours of Memtest86 which resulted in 2 passes of zero errors. I also did 3.5 hours of Prime95 custom blend test(12000 MB of RAM). No errors. No crashes. Nothing.

This is a brand new computer with brand new Windows installation. It's been only a week.
One time, while shutting down, Windows got stuck in "Getting windows ready. Don't turn off your computer". I have waited an hour and gave up, Needed to reset.
And one time, while playing Overwatch, the game crashed back to desktop. Which is strange because, I played that game on my 7-years old PC(Phenom II 955, 8GB DDR3) for months and it NEVER crashed before.

Please someone tell me i am not the only one experiencing these issues. I am so bummed. I have waited 7 years to finally upgrade my PC. Finally able to play some games that i wasn't able to for the last 5 years. I just wanted play games at peace, with no problems 😞

Update: I just tried to cold boot again. After bios screen, screen went black, no signal. After 10 sec or so, DRAM q-led started to blink again. I had to reset it. While booting up, windows disk scan&repair popped up, did it's thing. Now I am back in windows. What is going on? 😞
Update2: I wanted to revert to original bios that the board came with, but support site is down.

Hello,

Seems that u have the same issues as I had. I advise u that bring back to to seller/vendor. My board was faulty and I will get a new one.
It seems, that this board series is manufacuring defetcive? 😮

larnon wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have newly registered on forums just to voice some of the problems I am facing with this motherboard. I really need to know if its just my motherboard that is bad or it is a general UEFI issue that can be fixed later on. I need to know now so that i can return it before the return window closes.

I have R5 1600 installed along with Corsair LPX 16 3200 CL16 RAM.
Windows 10 is fully updated. Fresh installation.
UEFI version is 0805.( I also tried the one with 0402 or something)

Everything is at stock. Zero OC.

Here are the issues;

1) After a cold boot, sometimes the LAN adapter is not working. The lights don't blink and computer does not see any connection( No adapter ). After a reset it starts to work again. This happened with both of the UEFI versions i tried, but more so with the latest.
2) After a cold boot, sometimes computer does not boot, only blackscreen and stays there. CPU q-led is lighting red constantly. Need to reset.
3) One time, again after a cold boot, blackscreen, DRAM q-led is blinking. Need to reset.
4) Latest version of Memtest86 does not work. Computer resets while the program is retrieving hardware information. (Exactly after it says "Retrieving memory controller information" or something like that). But it works if it is started up as old BIOS version. I tried with different USB drives (2.0 and 3.0) and also just with single stick of memory. Problem still persists.

Now I did 9 hours of Memtest86 which resulted in 2 passes of zero errors. I also did 3.5 hours of Prime95 custom blend test(12000 MB of RAM). No errors. No crashes. Nothing.

This is a brand new computer with brand new Windows installation. It's been only a week.
One time, while shutting down, Windows got stuck in "Getting windows ready. Don't turn off your computer". I have waited an hour and gave up, Needed to reset.
And one time, while playing Overwatch, the game crashed back to desktop. Which is strange because, I played that game on my 7-years old PC(Phenom II 955, 8GB DDR3) for months and it NEVER crashed before.

Please someone tell me i am not the only one experiencing these issues. I am so bummed. I have waited 7 years to finally upgrade my PC. Finally able to play some games that i wasn't able to for the last 5 years. I just wanted play games at peace, with no problems 😞

Update: I just tried to cold boot again. After bios screen, screen went black, no signal. After 10 sec or so, DRAM q-led started to blink again. I had to reset it. While booting up, windows disk scan&repair popped up, did it's thing. Now I am back in windows. What is going on? 😞
Update2: I wanted to revert to original bios that the board came with, but support site is down.

Hmm! Should i look into RMA as well? Besides the LAN issues (don't use LAN) I've had similar issues as Larnon?

@Raja During this weekend, I have tried all the settings for ProcODT, up to 68.3 (the safest I could get to), and nothing kept the ram stable. It generally gets into Windows but the BSOD galore. I did manage a couple of runs of Memtest64 with 25+ loops and two 400%+ coverage in MemTestPro but just using windows DID NOT work. Can there be a defect in these boards or are they just not happy with Corsair LPX memories?

It's a bit of a sad experience so far to be honest.

mariuscc wrote:
Hmm! Should i look into RMA as well? Besides the LAN issues (don't use LAN) I've had similar issues as Larnon?

@Raja During this weekend, I have tried all the settings for ProcODT, up to 68.3 (the safest I could get to), and nothing kept the ram stable. It generally gets into Windows but the BSOD galore. I did manage a couple of runs of Memtest64 with 25+ loops and two 400%+ coverage in MemTestPro but just using windows DID NOT work. Can there be a defect in these boards or are they just not happy with Corsair LPX memories?

It's a bit of a sad experience so far to be honest.

You don't need to worry about the required value from a safety perspective. If your memory kit needs more, use more. My 32 GB GSkill kit (16GB modules) needs 80 Ohms.

Outside that, you may need to relax some of the sub-timings.

Hey @Raja;

Is there any information that you can give regarding our issues with this motherboard?

theprob wrote:
Hello,

Seems that u have the same issues as I had. I advise u that bring back to to seller/vendor. My board was faulty and I will get a new one.
It seems, that this board series is manufacuring defetcive? 😮

Thing is, if i send the motherboard to them saying it "sometimes" do these stuff, chances are they are not gonna encounter any problem while they are testing and send the board back to me. The only hope i have is that there are many people experiencing this issue, which tells me it is a BIOS/UEFI related problem.

Come on ASUS don't leave us in the dark, at least show us you are there and listening 😞