Page 40 of 141 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

CPU throttling in W10

New here. Just wanted to say thank you, you guys helped me so much when it comes to this board! I do have two small issues maybe you guys can help me out with but first here are my specs:

Ryzen 1700 @3.6
    16GB RAM / 2933mhz
    Asus B350-F with 1001 Bios

1. My RGB strip on my stock Ryzen cooler seems to be off. When using Asus Aura the RGB color will not change to any shade of blue. Not sure if this is common or not but I don't know how else to fix it. No matter what effect I choose in Aura it never is right and always skips the blue color.

2. I noticed in Windows that it reports my CPU being 3.6ghz CPU but its running at 3.18ghz. Is there something I can do in the BIOS to not have it throttle the CPU and just have it run constant at 3.6?
    Last edited by HyperSquirrels; 11-16-2017 at 04:37 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Equinox187 PC Specs
    Equinox187 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
    ProcessorRyzen 3600
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL'S Trident Z RGB 3000Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX 1070
    Storage #1Viper VPN100 512GB nvme
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Loop
    Power SupplyEVGA 650w Gold Modular
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by HyperSquirrels View Post
    New here. Just wanted to say thank you, you guys helped me so much when it comes to this board! I do have two small issues maybe you guys can help me out with but first here are my specs:

Ryzen 1700 @3.6
    16GB RAM / 2933mhz

1. My RGB strip on my stock Ryzen cooler seems to be off. When using Asus Aura the RGB color will not change to any shade of blue. Not sure if this is common or not but I don't know how else to fix it. No matter what effect I choose in Aura it never is right and always skips the blue color.

2. I noticed in Windows that it reports my CPU being 3.6ghz CPU but its running at 3.18ghz. Is there something I can do in the BIOS to not have it throttle the CPU and just have it run constant at 3.6?
    Regarding issue 1 make sure you have the RGB plugged in the right way round as it can be plugged in both ways but only one works as for the blue it depends on your settings, If you want a static color make sure in the setings it is set to By Areas you can then use the color wheel to select the desired color then apply.

As for Issue 2 do you have a manual over clock set in the bios? If so do you have the Windows power profile set to high performance? If so and you are running the latest version of Windows 10 then you might have the same issue that I had, I posted the issue and fix a few pages back but will repost below.

The following might apply to you if you have just updated to latest version of windows 10 ver 1709 and it was a issue that bugged me for a few hours as i tracked down a fix.

So my PC is over clocked to 3.8GHz and set so it should always be this regardless of use and let the power drop when in idle and this worked perfectly in the old version of windows 10 it always reported it as 3.79GHz, however after the update to version 1709 of windows 10 even though the base speed reflected my OC the actual speed was only 3.26GHz and even under 100% prime load would only go to a max of 3.65GHz rather than running at the 3.8GHz as before and would fluctuate a lot ( and yes windows was set to high performance and also tried AMD power setting ), what tipped me to this was lower FPS in games and terrible stuttering in games and general programs.

After some searching on the internet I traced the issue to a registry setting specifically AmdPPM, on the old version of windows 10 AmdPPM start was set to 4 ( Disabled ) but in the new version this is set to 3 ( Enabled ) and so forcing windows not to use 100% of the CPU even if you have the power profile set to high performance 100%.

Below is where to find the option in the registry but before you mess with it be careful or back up first.

Open the registry and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\AmdPPM then set the 'Start' value to '4' then reboot

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3200MHz 2x8GB 1.35v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1M.2 960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2M.2 MX500 SATA 500GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1909

Ryzen 1700 @3.6
    16GB RAM / 2933mhz

Issue 1: First make sure you are using latest Aura Software. with 1001 bios the older aura is not compatible. Install latest Aura > go to setting > calibration > select the rgb head where the cpu cooler rgb is connected then click next > in this window it will show R G B color one by one and at each point you have to select the color you are seeing. Once calibrated go to effect tab and set what you like. If your header is connected properly (arrow mark on the cooler header is +12v pin on mobo) there will not be any issue once calibrated properly.
    Last edited by AniChatt; 11-16-2017 at 09:45 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array DsAMD PC Specs
    DsAMD PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix b350-f gaming
    ProcessorRyzen 3600 @ 4.25 ghz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 3600 2x8gb
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorSamsung 32" 144hz 1440p
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
    Storage #24TB Toshiba 7200 rpm 6gb/s
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
    CasePhanteks Eclipse P400S Silent Edition
    Power SupplyCorsair cx650m
    Keyboard Logitech G915
    Mouse Logitech G602
    Headset Logitech G430
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries Qck Gaming Surface - Medium Thick Cloth
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z333 2.1 Speakers
    OS Win 10 Pro, 1909
    Network RouterTP-Link AC4000

For the RGB , there is a calibration tool in the Aura software that you can access by clicking on the wrench icon in the top right of the app window. That seems to resolve these issues sometimes

How did you overclock your CPU? If you manually set the multiplier it should run consistently at that speed.

New ROGer Array

The problem you described when it comes to the CPU throttling is the EXACT same problem I am having. I am manually OCing form the BIOS, I do have the latest W10 and I'm using AMD's power profile. I will try this fix when I get home.

When it comes to the RGB issue I have made sure it was plugged in properly to the MB. Whats strange is when I run the Aura calibration and it asks me what color is showing when it gets to blue it just doesn't show, its black. Now when I was first installing this motherboard I realized there were two RBG inputs on the motherboard. My CPU was already hooked up to the one closest to the top. I have a Phanteks LED strip and I know the board came with an adapter so I thought I'd hook up the strip to the second RBG thats located at the bottom. So I hooked the adapter up and then proceeded to plug the Phanteks LED strip into the motherboard with the computer still on...yeah, I know. I heard a loud pop and smoke started coming from the bottom of the board. I couldn't see where exactly but in the general area where the second RGB input is. I immediately turned off the computer and unplugged the LED strip. I think, and I'm about 90% sure that my CPU RGB light was working prior to this incident. Can I have damage the board? By plugging that strip into the bottom RGB and causing that smoke could it directly affect the other RGB input where my CPU is plugged into?

I have about 3 days left before I can't return this board to the store. I am thinking about pulling it and exchanging it for another. Should I just do that to make sure I have a brand new board that isn't potentially messed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox187 View Post
    The following might apply to you if you have just updated to latest version of windows 10 ver 1709 and it was a issue that bugged me for a few hours as i tracked down a fix.

So my PC is over clocked to 3.8GHz and set so it should always be this regardless of use and let the power drop when in idle and this worked perfectly in the old version of windows 10 it always reported it as 3.79GHz, however after the update to version 1709 of windows 10 even though the base speed reflected my OC the actual speed was only 3.26GHz and even under 100% prime load would only go to a max of 3.65GHz rather than running at the 3.8GHz as before and would fluctuate a lot ( and yes windows was set to high performance and also tried AMD power setting ), what tipped me to this was lower FPS in games and terrible stuttering in games and general programs.

After some searching on the internet I traced the issue to a registry setting specifically AmdPPM, on the old version of windows 10 AmdPPM start was set to 4 ( Disabled ) but in the new version this is set to 3 ( Enabled ) and so forcing windows not to use 100% of the CPU even if you have the power profile set to high performance 100%.

Below is where to find the option in the registry but before you mess with it be careful or back up first.

Open the registry and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\AmdPPM then set the 'Start' value to '4' then reboot
    Last edited by HyperSquirrels; 11-17-2017 at 12:54 AM.

ROG Member Array

Cold Boot keyboard mouse not detector (device descriptor failed)

I tend to get this cold boot usuaally when it is literally cooler in ambient temps. Any getting this issue? Weirdly the usb controller have no problems getting detected. Always only kb and mouse not detected

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3200MHz 2x8GB 1.35v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1M.2 960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2M.2 MX500 SATA 500GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1909

The problem you described when it comes to the CPU throttling is the EXACT same problem I am having. I am manually OCing form the BIOS, I do have the latest W10 and I'm using AMD's power profile. I will try this fix when I get home.

When it comes to the RGB issue I have made sure it was plugged in properly to the MB. Whats strange is when I run the Aura calibration and it asks me what color is showing when it gets to blue it just doesn't show, its black. Now when I was first installing this motherboard I realized there were two RBG inputs on the motherboard. My CPU was already hooked up to the one closest to the top. I have a Phanteks LED strip and I know the board came with an adapter so I thought I'd hook up the strip to the second RBG thats located at the bottom. So I hooked the adapter up and then proceeded to plug the Phanteks LED strip into the motherboard with the computer still on...yeah, I know. I heard a loud pop and smoke started coming from the bottom of the board. I couldn't see where exactly but in the general area where the second RGB input is. I immediately turned off the computer and unplugged the LED strip. I think, and I'm about 90% sure that my CPU RGB light was working prior to this incident. Can I have damage the board? By plugging that strip into the bottom RGB and causing that smoke could it directly affect the other RGB input where my CPU is plugged into?

I have about 3 days left before I can't return this board to the store. I am thinking about pulling it and exchanging it for another. Should I just do that to make sure I have a brand new board that isn't potentially messed up?
    So I have a simple solution for you, RUSH TO THE SELLER AND REPLACE THE MOBO AS SOON AS YOU CAN.
    Want to know that the led strip you are talking about is 12v or 5v? pls check it with spec because it will cause damage to the header/strip permanently. You need a 5050 12v led strip on those headers. Don't mess with nzxt hue kits as these are all 5v and it will burn again. It seems Aura calibration is not a issue it is you header. Just replace asap.

New ROGer Array

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Equinox187 PC Specs
    Equinox187 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
    ProcessorRyzen 3600
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL'S Trident Z RGB 3000Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX 1070
    Storage #1Viper VPN100 512GB nvme
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Loop
    Power SupplyEVGA 650w Gold Modular
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Serve18 View Post
    Has anyone tried this new bios as it always concerns me when a new bios is out less than a month after the last and there is such a leap in the version number.

ROG Enthusiast Array DsAMD PC Specs
    DsAMD PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix b350-f gaming
    ProcessorRyzen 3600 @ 4.25 ghz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 3600 2x8gb
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorSamsung 32" 144hz 1440p
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
    Storage #24TB Toshiba 7200 rpm 6gb/s
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
    CasePhanteks Eclipse P400S Silent Edition
    Power SupplyCorsair cx650m
    Keyboard Logitech G915
    Mouse Logitech G602
    Headset Logitech G430
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries Qck Gaming Surface - Medium Thick Cloth
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z333 2.1 Speakers
    OS Win 10 Pro, 1909
    Network RouterTP-Link AC4000

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox187 View Post
    Has anyone tried this new bios as it always concerns me when a new bios is out less than a month after the last and there is such a leap in the version number.
    Yep, I have. Seems more stable although I have not tried to repeatedly reboot my PC to see if it would let me in the BIOS I did try a few OC tweaks and had to go back into the BIOS a few times and I was able to get into it without much of an issue. One thing I did notice is that the voltage on my CPU seems to have stabilized whereas before it was running at 1.38 - 1.4 on average without any offsetting whatsoever. Now it is running the normal 1.25 - 1.3 and I actually had to offset + to get my normal 3.8ghz OC going.

Page 40 of 141 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 ... LastLast