Page 12 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

more info about blackscreens

And we continue in the next post

If i sound harsh sometimes, im not gonna excuse myself, it is because of the ridiculous amount of time, energy and frustations that are being evoked by the system in a whole. I am also not trying to blame any 1 vendor, because i am assuming most of the problems are a combination of multiple hardware/software issues, that are just not reported yet, or found in the testing phase of the products. im just here because i expect the support of the MB vendor is way better then the support i expect from for example AMD. I also expect other users to help me out in this forum, and too help other people i am posting here too .

About the blackscreens, i think i have about 1-2 of them a day, my pc is on 24/7 and it happens with no apparant reason (so far).
    I have had blackscreens after mining for 12+ hours, using the pc for 30 minutes or so, and then crash. But also just randomly while working in Sketchup, or playing poker on Unibet Poker or some other games (also please not that i use this system as a workstation, to earn my paycheck). I actually seen it crashing while doing nothing, so just boot up and crash after a few minutes when i was on the toilet, to come back at a black screen.

I also have different error lights giving me info, which i am highly doubting for accuracy because of this. i have seen the CPU, GPU and MEM light, light up. But most of the time it will just blackscreen without any light on. When this happens, i cannot use the reset button, or hold the power button for a long time for a hard reset. THE ONLY WAY i can reboot in this phase is to turn of the switch on the power supply, and wait untill the orange power light (and the RGB crap) is off. After they went out, i can switch the PSU on again and boot with pressing the power button.
    If i dont wait untill the "leftover" power in the capacitors of the MB is used, i just cannot reboot in any way!

About these error lights, specifically the GPU light i can say the following also. I actually had a GPU (Nvidia 560Ti) which gave me the GPU light when i was doing some multi-gpu stuff (and some other testing stuff with memory). I tested this a few times with the 560Ti, it would not boot, it just gave me the GPU light. After i removed the other GPU's the 560Ti still gave me the error light. So i removed the 560Ti, replaced it with a 770, and that worked, now went back to put the 560Ti in, and it works again.....

I had the same issue with a 520, but that GPU died now apparantly.....i cannot get that GPU to work anymore on this system, and will test it on another system later this week at a friends place, to verify if its really the GPU (i highly doubt it, since it had been working fine up untill this point).

The strange thing is, i have had this GPU light going on and off on 3 out of my 4 (working, at least before i put them in this MB) GPU's, with no apparant reason for it to happen. the one thing i know, was before testing on this platform, that 3 out of my 4 cards were perfectly working, the 770 is actually a weird card because it can't play games anymore, but it can still mine fine. but from the 3 perfect cards, now i have 1 card that does not work at all anymore (the 520) and the 560Ti did the weird stuff mentioned above. the only card that gave me no problems is a 610....but obviously thats not a card we want to use as main GPU....

In advance, for all the smart comments , i tested without the 770 too, just to make sure it was not because somehow that GPU was ****ing it up in windows, but unfortunately it blackscreened too...

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.marinescu View Post
    What a strange thing, I've swapped CPU with my brother identical cpu and motherboard and now it's more stable for both of us I think random crashes is AMD's fault
    Definitely weird, one of the things that comes to mind...can you confirm/deny that your using "optimized settings" in BIOS or did you or your brother have custom settings. Also i am wondering what cooling solutiions you both use?

This is because something i want to redo here to, but because its midnight now, not gonna do it right now....
    But when i mounted my CPU waterblock, it did not fit correctly (the standoffs looked way to long, there was a spacing on a place where it shouldn't be imo) so i replaced the standoffs with shorter ones (specifically replaced the AMD AM3+ standoffs of the EK supremacy EVO GOLD block, with the shorter Intel standoffs). Because the standoffs were shorter i had to put quit a lot of pressure on the thumbscrews to get thread, and then i actually overtightened the cpu block. I found out this was the problem when it would boot without the CPU block. So to fix this i acutally removed the tension springs, and just mounted the block without them and tightening the thumbscrews with little force.

To make a long story shorter, when i overtightend the CPU block, it gave me MEM errors (light), and now i am starting to think this might have to do with this issues i have. Especially if you talk about just changing CPU's with your brother and now working better, i am kindoff hoping that you might have tightened it less firm then the first time?
    Also the IMC is on the CPU, so maybe if we stress this to hard with surface tension (overtightening the CPU block) it might be one of the causes of the issues....
    Last edited by hensiepensie; 08-18-2017 at 10:41 PM.

ROG Member Array

kirchsteig gran

Quote Originally Posted by datspike View Post
    Hi guys, also ASUS Reps!
    I'm having a "problem" with GALAX / KFA2 HOF 3600C17 kit HOF4CALCS3600K17LD162C
    The ram is working really well with 1000% HCI Memtest stability at 3200C14 timings, and even with really tight 3200C14 timings.
    Howether, at any frequency higher than 3200Mhz any memory test gives "random" errors.
    I've tried every possible stability tweak from overclock.net Crosshair thread and nothing helps. Any voltage, any possible loose/tough timings, RTT, CLDO, VTTDDR and so on. Every combination gives me at best a single error before 200-300% in HSI Memtest.

Also I've met another guy from reddit. Here is a link to the converation.
    Tl;dr:
    He had a Asrock Killer SLI mobo, got same HOF 3600C17 kit stable at 3333 and game-stable at 3466Mhz.
    Then somehow got the B350-F Strix and now he cant get anything higher than 3200 to be stable.

Can there be some little bug or anything minor which can stop this specific kit from 3333+ Mhz on the motherboard hardware or software (uefi) sides?
    I dont think ANYONE got over 3200 so far on this MB, so i have to agree on that, one thing about the TL DR....did he come off the X370 killer, or an older (maybe even intel) platform? if he comes of the old stuff, then we can assume its more an software issue (BIOS) then hardware issue (components not capable of running those speeds), but i think we need more info to make a conclusion on that.

Also can i ask what your latencies are on 3200? i have troubles getting them low with my kit so far.
    I can confirm that for me the tricks of the overclock croshair forum did not work on my corsair memory, the only thing that would increase stabilty a tiny bit, was upping the Voltage for MEM to 1.4V VTDDR to 0.7V and SOC to 1.1-1.2V, but essentially this only gave me shorter learning times for booting, which i classified as more stable here....
    I still have to dive in the new memory kit settings to see where i can get, but one thing i already seen that was weird for me, was that even though i put my latencies on 19-19-19-19-39, it trained it to 20-19-19-19-39. I tried to get to 3333 and it failed, so i retrained from 2966, and it actually went to 19-19-19-19-39. Now im running 18-18-18-18-39, 75 and 2T at the moment.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3000MHz 4x8GB 1.39v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2850EVO SATA 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Quote Originally Posted by hensiepensie View Post
    And we continue in the next post
    About the blackscreens, i think i have about 1-2 of them a day, my pc is on 24/7 and it happens with no apparant reason (so far).
    I have had blackscreens after mining for 12+ hours, using the pc for 30 minutes or so, and then crash. But also just randomly while working in Sketchup, or playing poker on Unibet Poker or some other games (also please not that i use this system as a workstation, to earn my paycheck). I actually seen it crashing while doing nothing, so just boot up and crash after a few minutes when i was on the toilet, to come back at a black screen.

I also have different error lights giving me info, which i am highly doubting for accuracy because of this. i have seen the CPU, GPU and MEM light, light up. But most of the time it will just blackscreen without any light on. When this happens, i cannot use the reset button, or hold the power button for a long time for a hard reset. THE ONLY WAY i can reboot in this phase is to turn of the switch on the power supply, and wait untill the orange power light (and the RGB crap) is off. After they went out, i can switch the PSU on again and boot with pressing the power button.
    If i dont wait until the "leftover" power in the capacitors of the MB is used, i just cannot reboot in any way!
    I have also wasted almost 20 days, to fix the black screen problem of my setup as well and from your post it seems you are facing exactly same problem like I was experiencing that time. Though not a expert if it seems logical you may try this,
    1. GPU is not a problem and that is for sure I have already tested my setup with gtx 970 and r9-290 found same issues of black screen and need to ac power cut to restart the pc after full drain.
    2. Some guys may tell you that your vrm is faulty and pls leave this comments for now it is not vrm issue.
    3. Faulty CPU: of course not
    4. Faulty/incompatible ram: To check whether faulty ram stick just run memtest atleast for 8-10hrs.
    5. MOST IMPORTANTLY HARDWARE MONITORING CONFLICT: Memtest can operate in UEFI. Create a UEFI boot drive and try to run it in UEFI and CHECK WHETHER IT IS CRASHING OR RESTARTING JUST AT THE POINT WHILE IT IS COLLECTING SPD AND OTHER RAM INFO. If so 90% chance is that your black screen is realted to hardware monitoring clash or something. In uefi it should pass the cpu config collection steps.
    6. Try to run windows in safe boot environment and test whether your blackscreen is there or not. If not then I am 95% sure your blackscreen is related to monitoring.

Now regarding the debug light possibly it is bios and dimm incompatibility. I was getting these issues as well with 0805 bios and flarex ram. But solved totally with 0806 and onward.
    Last edited by AniChatt; 08-19-2017 at 05:19 AM.

ROG Member Array daniel.marinescu PC Specs
    daniel.marinescu PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX X370-F GAMING
    ProcessorAMD RYZEN 7 1800X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    MonitorLG 27"
    Storage #1240GB HyperX
    Storage #22x500GB WD Black
    CPU CoolerCorsair H55
    CaseSegotep SG-K7
    Power SupplyFSP HYDRO G 750
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad Logitech G
    Headset/Speakers Custom Made Speakers
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterLinksys EA6700

Quote Originally Posted by AniChatt View Post
    I have also wasted almost 20 days, to fix the black screen problem of my setup as well and from your post it seems you are facing exactly same problem like I was experiencing that time. Though not a expert if it seems logical you may try this,
    1. GPU is not a problem and that is for sure I have already tested my setup with gtx 970 and r9-290 found same issues of black screen and need to ac power cut to restart the pc after full drain.
    2. Some guys may tell you that your vrm is faulty and pls leave this comments for now it is not vrm issue.
    3. Faulty CPU: of course not
    4. Faulty/incompatible ram: To check whether faulty ram stick just run memtest atleast for 8-10hrs.
    5. MOST IMPORTANTLY HARDWARE MONITORING CONFLICT: Memtest can operate in UEFI. Create a UEFI boot drive and try to run it in UEFI and CHECK WHETHER IT IS CRASHING OR RESTARTING JUST AT THE POINT WHILE IT IS COLLECTING SPD AND OTHER RAM INFO. If so 90% chance is that your black screen is realted to hardware monitoring clash or something. In uefi it should pass the cpu config collection steps.
    6. Try to run windows in safe boot environment and test whether your blackscreen is there or not. If not then I am 95% sure your blackscreen is related to monitoring.

Now regarding the debug light possibly it is bios and dimm incompatibility. I was getting these issues as well with 0805 bios and flarex ram. But solved totally with 0806 and onward.
    I've managed to make mine stable by oc-ing RAM to 3200Mhz setting timings according to SPD and setting VTTDDR to 0.68
    I'm guessing the bios doesn't know how to set ram settings correctly

MonitorLG 27"
    Storage #1240GB HyperX
    CPU CoolerCorsair H55
    CaseSegotep SG-K7
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad Logitech G
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by hensiepensie View Post
    Definitely weird, one of the things that comes to mind...can you confirm/deny that your using "optimized settings" in BIOS or did you or your brother have custom settings. Also i am wondering what cooling solutiions you both use?

This is because something i want to redo here to, but because its midnight now, not gonna do it right now....
    But when i mounted my CPU waterblock, it did not fit correctly (the standoffs looked way to long, there was a spacing on a place where it shouldn't be imo) so i replaced the standoffs with shorter ones (specifically replaced the AMD AM3+ standoffs of the EK supremacy EVO GOLD block, with the shorter Intel standoffs). Because the standoffs were shorter i had to put quit a lot of pressure on the thumbscrews to get thread, and then i actually overtightened the cpu block. I found out this was the problem when it would boot without the CPU block. So to fix this i acutally removed the tension springs, and just mounted the block without them and tightening the thumbscrews with little force.

To make a long story shorter, when i overtightend the CPU block, it gave me MEM errors (light), and now i am starting to think this might have to do with this issues i have. Especially if you talk about just changing CPU's with your brother and now working better, i am kindoff hoping that you might have tightened it less firm then the first time?
    Also the IMC is on the CPU, so maybe if we stress this to hard with surface tension (overtightening the CPU block) it might be one of the causes of the issues....
    Yeah, we both have water cooling he as a better model of corsair than me but, in the bast we tested this specific problem, we thought it was a cooling problem but it wasn't the crashes were random no matter the temperature or load, we also tried different coolers, the thing is that he's pc was hanging in POST saying "started in Safe mode" or something like that now with his CPU I have the same (also random) and he has crashes but he managed to tweak ram settings even voltages to other things and timings and not seems stable for both of us, a new BIOS update just came out today we'll try it, it promises stability issues, also they fixed network card not working on the first boot since plugging the power plug, we'll try the new bios and see if it will be more stable, i'll try to keep you guys updated

New ROGer Array daswilhelm PC Specs
    daswilhelm PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rog Strix B350f Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 1600x
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 O8G
    MonitorAOC U2879VF 28" 4k
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo 250gb
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB
    CPU CoolerCryorig H7 Quad Lumi
    CaseNZXT S340 White
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova GS 650w
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.marinescu View Post
    Yeah, we both have water cooling he as a better model of corsair than me but, in the bast we tested this specific problem, we thought it was a cooling problem but it wasn't the crashes were random no matter the temperature or load, we also tried different coolers, the thing is that he's pc was hanging in POST saying "started in Safe mode" or something like that now with his CPU I have the same (also random) and he has crashes but he managed to tweak ram settings even voltages to other things and timings and not seems stable for both of us, a new BIOS update just came out today we'll try it, it promises stability issues, also they fixed network card not working on the first boot since plugging the power plug, we'll try the new bios and see if it will be more stable, i'll try to keep you guys updated
    You mentioned a new bios, im showing 0809, what revision are you seeing?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by daswilhelm View Post
    I think he was on something older than 0809 so that amde it a new bios. I have not seen anything newer than that either.

@Thread: Reading through the thread some one said that too much pressure on the processor can cause instabilities. I find that hard to believe to be honest and so I have it a go. Unscrewed my cooler as mucha as i felt confortable and still crashes and burns when using DOCP. Screws on my cooler are spring loaded so may or may not have released much pressure. i cannot tell.

Also I do not use corsair link and I still get black screens now and then.

Flair X should be here today or tomorrow and i'm curious what results I will get.

I was thinking, reading the internets, I've seen a bunch of people having issues in linux while compiling with SEG Faults, due to a minor flaw in the processors manufactured right at the beggining. Could that make our memories unstable I wonder? What do you guys think. I will try and find the source and see any info on which processors were affected.

MonitorLG 27"
    Storage #1240GB HyperX
    CPU CoolerCorsair H55
    CaseSegotep SG-K7
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad Logitech G
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by daswilhelm View Post
    As I mentioned my my first post on this thread I have STRIX X370-F but similar problem

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3000MHz 4x8GB 1.39v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2850EVO SATA 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

FlareX 4x8GB working fine upto 3066Mhz

Yesterday installed my second set of FlareX RAM 16GB kit. Now my ram config is like this,
    RAM Channel 1: Older 16GB kit in 2x8GB setup
    RAM Channel 2: Newer 16GB kit in 2x8GB setup

Working fine in 4x8GB total 32GB in exactly same ram speed and have not faced any single issues up to 3066Mhz. However 3200Mhz works but during some prime test with heavy memory load worker stops. SO it seems not completely stable. So i have switched back to 3066Mhz. There is absolutely no change in cinebench result.
    just posted so that if anyone is looking for this info. I have asked in other forums as well and not received any clear answer.

Page 12 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast