Page 22 of 126 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by celab View Post
    dont downclock in windows, it will cause core parking, this is why the latest ryzen chipset driver 17.30 hav a min cpu limit of 90&. otherwise you will have (see) a performance hit. 0811 wokrs fine for my F4-3200C14D-16GFX, so long i dont change the g-state option to enabled or use ryzen master. than it will crash again.
    Excuse me but what is G-State? And what do you mean by downclocking in Windows?

ROG Member Array Gothmoth PC Specs
    Gothmoth PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Strix B350-F Gaming & Crosshair 6 Hero
    Storage #1Samsung 960 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Power SupplyEVGA G2 750 & EVGA G2 850
    OS Windows 10 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox187 View Post
    I had a look into it and from what I can dig up they disabled it as a protective measure as there has been an increasing number of people soft bricking their motherboards by over clocking through the settings found in AMD CBS, where the problem comes from and why i think they disabled it is in a conventional over clock if it fails you can clear the CMOS and recover however if an over clock is set in the AMD CBS and fails you can't clear this bad over clock setting at all not even if you remove the battery and it effectively bricks the motherboard.
    that does indeed sound bad.

but i guess that is just an issue with the BIOS on this board?
    i mean they could sure make it so that p-states are reseted too when the CMOS is cleared?

ROG Enthusiast Array celab PC Specs
    celab PC Specs
    MotherboardStrix B350-F Gaming / BIOS 5008
    ProcessorRyzen 1600
    Memory (part number)FlareX - F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1Palit GameRock Premium 1080
    Sound CardOnboard
    MonitorAcer GF246
    Storage #1960EVO/250GB - NVMe driver 3.1
    Storage #2Crucial BX200 - 240GB
    CPU Coolerkraken x41 /no cam software
    Casefreestyle
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W Gold
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder Expert (cable), 1800dpi/1000Hz
    Headset -
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Speed Edition
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser HD 4.20s
    OS Win10 Pro 64bit/1903 - 18362.239
    Network RouterFibre Optic 100Mbit/synchron

Stop chemin

i think asus pulled p-state seettings out of the bios because of people like this

http://www.overclock.net/t/1634764/b...350-f-strix/10

if you were changeing some settings to lower spec, the board will not start and there is no way to recover it again.

the g-state otion in the bios is there for allowing the cpu to use special power states, the p-states, for example if you do overclocking and still want to safe power you can turn it to enabled to still make use of the different power savings while having no workflow on the cpu, without core parking.

if you go into the windows power option, after you have installed amd chipset ryzen driver 17.30 you will see a profile called ryzen balanced. if you look closer into it you will find the min cpu state sitting on 90%. this should be this value to prevent core parking. also the setting 0% in max means that the cpu internal setup is used to rise it how it thinks it should. changeing these values is not a good idea, you might have performance issues.
    turning of g-states in the bios could help overclocking your mem.

Gothmoth PC Specs
    OS Windows 10 64 Bit

i think asus pulled p-state seettings out of the bios because of people like this

wow... what a d-bag.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

if you were changeing some settings to lower spec, the board will not start and there is no way to recover it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
    wow... what a d-bag.
    @Gothmoth - I don't understand your response.

It's a user-modded BIOS. It claims to specifically "unlock" user BIOS options which ASUS *deliberately* chose to keep disabled/excluded/hidden (probably for very good technical reasons, lol).

I think the modder was irresponsible in the context of failing to explicitly report that this circumvents ASUS safety margins and exceeds ASUS design parameters, and that it allows user misconfigurations which can brick the mobo, and that anything it wrecks quite blatantly voids ASUS warranty. These details should be made completely obvious to all would-be users, proper warnings would turn away (most) casual users and thus (mostly) limit use of this mod only to more experienced, knowledgeable, and "qualified" users. One might reasonably assume that only the most "extreme" and avid overclockers would ever find this BIOS or find it appealing, but it's not really a safe assumption.
    But, other than that, the modder's efforts and intentions hardly qualify him as a "d-bag".

This mobo provides ASUS Crashfree BIOS 3 for BIOS recovery. So I think this modded BIOS wouldn't brick the mobo permanently, only semi-permanently. There's also the option of physically replacing the BIOS chip, and if these cannot be obtained from ASUS (or another vendor) then (downloaded) BIOS images can be written to (cheap) blank chips with (cheap) programming hardware.
    Again, I think it's the modder's responsibility to provide detailed links and instructions about how to recover such a bricked mobo. Or to openly report (warn about) the risk of irrecoverably damaging the mobo. The author is irresponsible, but isn't a "d-bag" for neglecting these details.

I would not use such a modded BIOS. Closed-source stuff always carries risks - not just potential bugs/flaws but also the risk of introducing contaminants/malware/spyware/rootkits which, at the firmware level, could have full control over all hardware/software in the platform, lol. And depending on documentation or updates or support from a random online user is even more of a gamble than depending on ASUS, lol. But that's just my personal choice (and paranoia), other users can make this choice for themselves. And again, it hardly makes the author a "d-bag".
    Last edited by Korth; 09-19-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Gothmoth PC Specs
    OS Windows 10 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    @Gothmoth - I don't understand your response.

It's a user-modded BIOS. It claims to specifically "unlock" user BIOS options which ASUS *deliberately* chose to keep disabled/excluded/hidden (probably for very good technical reasons, lol).

I think the modder was irresponsible in the context of failing to explicitly report that this circumvents ASUS safety margins and exceeds ASUS design parameters, and that it allows user misconfigurations which can brick the mobo, and that anything it wrecks quite blatantly voids ASUS warranty. These details should be made completely obvious to all would-be users, proper warnings would turn away (most) casual users and thus (mostly) limit use of this mod only to more experienced, knowledgeable, and "qualified" users. One might reasonably assume that only the most "extreme" and avid overclockers would ever find this BIOS or find it appealing, but it's not really a safe assumption.
    But, other than that, the modder's efforts and intentions hardly qualify him as a "d-bag".

This mobo provides ASUS Crashfree BIOS 3 for BIOS recovery. So I think this modded BIOS wouldn't brick the mobo permanently, only semi-permanently. There's also the option of physically replacing the BIOS chip, and if these cannot be obtained from ASUS (or another vendor) then (downloaded) BIOS images can be written to (cheap) blank chips with (cheap) programming hardware.
    Again, I think it's the modder's responsibility to provide detailed links and instructions about how to recover such a bricked mobo. Or to openly report (warn about) the risk of irrecoverably damaging the mobo.

I would not use such a modded BIOS. Closed-source stuff always carries risks - not just possible bugs/flaws but also firmware-level malware/rootkits which could have full control over all hardware/software, lol. But that's just my personal choice, other users can make this choice for themselves. And again, it hardly makes the author a "d-bag".
    purposely bricking a mainboard so you can RMA it and you don´t understand it... sorry but i guess then i am unable to explain it to you....

that´s like "oh that audi has a brake issue when i do THAT.... lets do THAT and drive it into the wall".

i guess you did not read the whole thread....

Yup. Seen guys reporting better memory speeds with the same memory on x370 boards.
    I know that that is a dick move from me to Asus, but I've already RMA'd my last Vengeance LPX 3200C16 Hynix kit (i did not break it) and got some B-die ram so I'm really greedy to get 3466Mhz
    Last edited by Gothmoth; 09-19-2017 at 01:28 PM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Now I've read the full thread, I'd only skimmed it earlier.

You're right, this guy already wants to RMA his (ASUS, GALAX, Corsair, etc) hardware - again and again - and he admits to deliberately burning his hardware to failure so it "qualifies" for RMAs. So you're right, he's a real d-bag, lol. @ASUS hopefully takes note of this thread, don't need d-bags driving up costs for everyone else.

It only seems like another reason to avoid relying on any firmware mods he's written, lol. A guy willing to deliberately damage his own hardwares so he can exploit vendors for "free" replacements doesn't seem ethically compelled to preserve the integrity other people's hardwares.
    Last edited by Korth; 09-19-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Gothmoth PC Specs
    OS Windows 10 64 Bit

he g-state otion in the bios is there for allowing the cpu to use special power states, the p-states, for example if you do overclocking and still want to safe power you can turn it to enabled to still make use of the different power savings while having no workflow on the cpu, without core parking.
    i only know c-states.

is that a typo or if not... where do i find g-states?

New ROGer Array nyihtway PC Specs
    nyihtway PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen5 1600
    Memory (part number)G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000 Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1XFX GTR RX-480 Black Edition
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB
    Storage #2Toshiba P300 7200RPM 3TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H60 120mm AIO
    CaseNZXT S340 Elite Black
    Power SupplyThermaltake ToughPower Grand 750Watt
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterAsus AC3100 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router

Bios 0811

So far with the issues reported here, my question is "is it safe to update the bios version 8011 or should i just stick with 0809"? Can you let me know your thoughts?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3000MHz 4x8GB 1.39v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2850EVO SATA 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Bios 8011 working perfect but ram not reaching 3200

Ok I have again switched to 0811 bios and it seems a good update. here is my observations,

1. CPU overclocking has been improved. Now I can achieve same overclock for some multipliers at lower voltage. e.g. I have reached 39x with 1.375 + 0.0250. In 0809 my stable overclock for 39x was with higher offset than 0.0250. This mobo even not booting previously at 39x with +0.0250 offset. Don't know why. Other settings are same.

2. I have settled it at last to 38.5 at 1.350 volt that is 1.3750 - 0.0250 (under volting). Yes you guys are right and it seems I don't need a pstate overclock right now with this bios. in 0809 bios I have seen that the cpu is idling at higher temp when clocks are fixed compared to p-state overclock. As per I remember for 39x I have seen normal overclock idle temp of 38-40C where as during p-state oc it is 33-38C. But now with 0811 bios there is no difference between my older p-state temp and fixed clock oc with this new bios. However EPU power saving is enabled and Global c state. Please keep in mid my avg room temp is somewhere between 28-30C.

Still unable to set my 4x8GB flareX kit to 3200. Stuck at 3066.

Guys WHAT IS G-STATE? Pls throw some light where is this option and what it is doing to achieve 3200 RAM speed??
    Last edited by AniChatt; 09-20-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Page 22 of 126 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast