cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt number two...FAILED!...Now Fixed?

PakRatJR
Level 7
New board, new cpu, 1700x and new memory, flarex 16gb. 1403 bios.

Used this thread to start with memory setting to 3200 and cpu stock. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93722-Flare-X-3200MHZ-16GB-2x8-F4-3200C14D-16GFX-Performan...

So far bios shows 3200. No errors so far on a few reboots into bios, except for once with a cpu overtemp after reboot from bios update?? Haven't got it since tho. Currently installing windows on 512gb m.2.

The big difference this go around, I am leaving it set up on the bench for a few days this time instead of pulling my current setup apart. It is Wednesday. If it is still running smooth and stable when I get home from work Friday THEN I will swap it into my case. 😄

We'll see what happens :cool:
16 REPLIES 16

xeromist
Fingers crossed. Hopefully this new board doesn't attempt a "number two." 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Fingers crossed. Hopefully this new board doesn't attempt a "number two." 😄

Hehe Thanks :cool:

Good luck with the new board.

Well, so far things seem to be working well. I already have more up time than my last try. Granted it has only been running bare windows and a screen saver since yesterday :rolleyes: BUT I have actually been using and playing with with it for several hours today including running a few benchmarks and stress tests with no issues that I can see so far.

I don't have my "real" video card installed yet and it will actually be on water once I put it in my case. Bumped the 1700x up to 3.8 for now, bios says 3200 on the memory but cpu-z still shows it as 2400? Altho the MHz reading shows 1600 so I am assuming that is right....dual channel an all....for 3200.

Aura seems to be working well so far also but it is only controlling the board, but it's working.

The only two head scratchers I have,
1 When it boots, cold or restart, the bios logo comes up then some other screen, I think something to do with drives...it goes by too fast to actually make out what it is....then back to bios logo then into windows.

2 I have a M.2 drive nvme 1.2 but in bios it says no nvme installed under the config for it. Not really a problem I guess as it seems to be working just fine.

I am still going to wait till tomorrow to swap things into the case as I don't really have the time to spend tonight but so far it seems like things are good. :cool::cool:

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Well, It was nice while it lasted 😞

Was running great. Been running nonstop since Wednesday. Got home today, Friday, at 4pm. Got everything swapped over. Been getting my stuff installed, playing with things ect....for HOURS straight with no issues at all. NONE.

Now, here it is 1:30 AM Friday night/Saturday morning, and I am now stuck at stock cpu and 2400 on the memory after a good 20 minutes of screwing around. Was doing my usual cleaning up of my startup entries prepping for a couple more installs.....and my keyboard and mouse went away, things froze, and I had to power off on the power supply to get things to shut down. GRRRRRR!!!!!:mad:

After quite a few reboot attempts and bios resets and several 8 codes later and here we are. Anything over stock cpu and 2400 on the memory and it won't post. Even loading "optimized" values took a few tries.:confused:

It's late, I'm tired and frustrated now and I am done for tonight. I am going to bed. I will leave it running overnight and I guess I will start fresh tomorrow.:mad::(

Woke up today to a froze system.

No keyboard, no mouse, locked up on the screen saver. Had to power off the power supply again to get it to turn off and can't even get it to post now.

If I hit the red safeboot button or the white retry button, it goes straight to code 8. Holding the clear cmos button for 30 seconds will give me a 8 blip but then goes into looking like it will post but it wont. Never seems to stop with the same code eather. Sometimes it goes for a bit, sometimes it only 4 or 5 codes befor it stops.

And I'm done......again.:(:(

After several hours of screwing around, I haven't even been able to get it post. Not once today. Between constant code 8s and general hangs and inconsistent post codes and Qleds...its coming back apart.

Now I really don't know what to do here. I think Newegg only allows for replacement returns on the board and processor and I don't know that I really want to keep messing with this anymore.

ETA: Best Newegg can do is refund on memory and store credit for board and processor. 😞 So basically I guess I am still out $500+ at the moment and now need to come up with something to use that on.

WTF!!!

Now I am really confused and thoroughly annoyed.

Pulled everything apart and put my old system back together. Put the crosshair back on the bench so I could play with it and HOPE to at least get back into bios to erase the M.2 drive.

SOB BOOTED RIGHT UP!!!! like nothing ever happened. Memory currently set at DOCP standard for 3200 and working fine.:confused:

PakRatJR wrote:
WTF!!!

Now I am really confused and thoroughly annoyed.

Pulled everything apart and put my old system back together. Put the crosshair back on the bench so I could play with it and HOPE to at least get back into bios to erase the M.2 drive.

SOB BOOTED RIGHT UP!!!! like nothing ever happened. Memory currently set at DOCP standard for 3200 and working fine.:confused:

Running memory on DOCP at its rated speed doesn't go well on a CH6. I went for a new memory set up midweek. It took me about 2 hours to get the best settings for it. Try this.

Boot to an OS install HWinfo. Retreive the timings for the following:

Dram Cas# lantency
Dram Ras# to Cas# read delay
Dram Ras# to Cas# write delay
Dram Ras# pre time
Dram Ras# act time
Trc_SM:
TrrdS_SM:
TrrdL_SM:
Tfaw_ SM:
Trfc_SM:
Trfc2_SM:
Trfc4_SM:

reboot back into the Bios

On Main extreme tweaker screen
AI overclocker set to manual
Bclk 100
CPU core leave at 36 for now
Memory frequency set memory to 2800 (since you ran at 3200 for a while this settings should be fine)
Disable CPU boost

Set CPU core voltage to offset mode and +
Set cpu core offset to 0.03125 (I run on a 1800x so this may need to be 0.3750, but not higher, Try to keep your cpu below 1.42v)

I have CPU soc voltage on Offset mode + @ 0.0500. This keeps it below 1.15v for me.
I leave Dram on auto.

Go into Dram timing control and add those setting that HWinfo gave
Dram Cas# lantency
Dram Ras# to Cas# read delay
Dram Ras# to Cas# write delay
Dram Ras# pre time
Dram Ras# act time
Trc_SM:
TrrdS_SM:
TrrdL_SM:
Tfaw_ SM:

Trfc_SM:
Trfc2_SM:
Trfc4_SM:

It should reboot with no issues.

Ok now to fine tune.

In Dram timing control at the bottom add CMD2t to 1T

Reboot. If this works then start to work the PROcODT. In Dram timing control again at the bottom.

Asus recommends 40-96. Work from 96 ohm and work your way to 40. Reboot on each setting. Find the lowest setting and leave it there.

Once you have this increase your CPU in increments till you are happy with the temps. Remember the hotter it is the shorter the life of the CPU. On an 1800x I find 3850 is my sweet spot. It is marginally hotter than 3600 (default). I gain 10 degrees at 3900.

Then increase your memory in increments till you get your max .

Good luck again. I will edit this if I missed anything.