cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Power Issues

crazyc
Level 7
Hey all
I have some really strange issues creeping into two 12 month old builds.
Specs are a s follows
Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard
Intel Core i7 6700K
G.Skill Ripjaws V series F4 2400OC 32gb
Strix GTX 1070 8GB OC
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb SSD
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
XFX Pro Sereies 850w PSU
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Chassis
Windows 10 64bit
Bios Current 3501

Both machines are identical, on one machine I am having an issue that when you shut down the machine using windows shut down and go to turn the machine back on using the power switch the led lights turn on in the motherboard and the main case fan turns on but that is it. You have to physically unplug the power and wait 3 or 4 minutes flush the power and plug back in and off it goes. If you do a restart it restarts no problem while in windows it flys without a single issue.
In diagnosing the issue I have reset the power management plan in windows to default, gone into bios and turned of Fast Boot and turned on ERP S4/S5. I have also upgraded the bios which was at 1901 to the latest 3501.
I am yet to clear the CMOS, test the memory or swap out the PSU.

The second machine has an issue where you cannot enter bios, at first i though it was simply just booting too fast so I turned off fast boot but the same problem, the Logitech G510 keyboard simply does not send the del comand. I can enter BIOS if i plug in a PS2 keyboard. This issue only arose a day after upgrading the Bios to 3501.

Has anyone come across either of these issues and can offer some advice..
Edit...
I see two other similar issues posted
@cmoxie https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94545-PC-wont-power-on
and
@elysium https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94542-PC-won-t-boot-up

Many thanks the craZy C
6 REPLIES 6

Eleiyas
Level 10
The first issue; I am sure I have seen someone else having the same thing happen - you might have to browse this sub-forum a bit to find the thread...

The second issue you describe I have heard of - although I'm not sure if I heard it about the same motherboard.
Something about Logitech peripherals only receiving power after POST/BIOS...

I'll see if I can't find the corresponding threads and post them here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84560-UEFI-Access-Issue&highlight=logitech

Thanks Elyius

As I previously stated it is very strange that this has occurred 12 months down the track

Update: Well ran another test 12 hours on memtest 86 and no errors, checked memory voltages and settings and all normal, reseated all connections to the PSU and low and behold system back to shutting down and turning off as it should. Well for 8 hours anyway. After leaving the machine off overnight I went to turn it on again the next day. Back to having to unplug and flush power.
Waiting for a support request to be answered by XFX before RMA to the supplier....
I am also experiencing a similar issue on the machine now where 1 out of 4 starts hangs but no need to unplug power. It really has done my head in.

Another Update, if anyone is reading...I am at a loss...........

When you press the power button on the case the mother board lights come on but that is it nothing else, no power up of fans, no post.
Sometime when you press the power button several times the case led lights come on and the system starts, other times you have to remove the plug from the power supply and flush the power before it will start. On other occasions as you remove the plug from the PSU it boots to life so reseating the plug works.

I have swapped out the power supply with two other working PSU’s and I get the same thing.

The motherboard has been flashed to the latest bios and fast boot has been disabled as well as ERP S4/S5 turned on. The system is stock.
When removing the PSU and replacing it with no peripherals connected the machine starts, connect each peripheral one at a time and it starts. When all peripherals are in and I think success it reverts back to not starting.

I have just completed this process again by removing the test PSU and replacing the original power supply. Initially power up was achieved with just the motherboard connected, it continued to work after adding each peripheral one at a time. Thinking it was all good after I placed the side panels back on the case it reverted back to not starting when pressing the power button (which does feel a little soft compared to my other computer which is identical).
To post I had to partially remove the power plug from the PSU.
Of note if I restart the machine from within windows it restarts fine just not when I press the power button.
Could this type of issue be caused by a faulty Power switch on the case, I have read of two or three other people with the same case and very similar problems who after replacing the power switch their problem went away. Or could this be the PSU, again I have read of similar issues.

Full Specs
Phantek Enthoo Luxe
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Intel Core i7 6700K
32GB GSKill 2400C
Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1070 OC
Cosair Hydro H105 Cooler
XFX Pro Series 850w PSU
256gb Evo Pro SSD
500gb Evo SSD

Korth
Level 14
Try the Logitech keyboard in different USB ports - specifically, the keyboard plugged into the USB port used for ROG KeyBot, and with all other USB devices (except perhaps mouse) unplugged during boot.

Both machines are 1 year old. Maybe check/replace motherboard CR2032 battery.

If the only hardware change between "working boot" and "buggy boot" was closing up the chassis then compare temps with open and closed chassis. Test chassis wiring/switches with a DMM if you can. Inspect their connectors, might need to bend/straighten the pins or something.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

davemon50
Level 11
For your keyboard, make sure in your BIOS you have set legacy USB devices to either AUTO or ENABLED, but not disabled. I use a Logitech wireless USB unifying receiver keyboard, and with my current board it always works well at startup, but in my previous build over the Rampage4E it sometimes had issues at startup and I had to plug in a PS2 KB to get things going. FYI I also use a Logitech wireless USB unifying receiver mouse, and it also works in the BIOS at startup. Check your legacy settings.
Davemon50