Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    38

    ROG Zephyrus GX501 feedback?

    I was surprised that there was no thread for this laptop.

    So here is one.

    Any lucky buyers?

    Is the keyboard as bad as shown in reviews (especially if used in lap)?

    Can numpad section be converted to arrows, home/end, pgup/pgdn keys?

    Is noise emission really lower then in 15" Asus laptops with GTX 1060?

    Is battery as bad as shown in some reviews?

    Anybody confirmed CPU/GPU downclock if using with closed lid and extranal monitor?

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    One lucky buyer here
    Well the keyboard isn't as bad as it seems , it takes a bit of taking use to it , but I use it with no problems ...

    I didn't attempt to change the number pad to any other key
    Is extremely quiet , like extremely like 35 decibels under heavy load , which is pretty good .

    Battery lasts about 2 to 3 hours under low usage , 1:30 to 2 hours under gaming .

    I couldn't confirm CPU / GPU downgrade , I didn't noticed any downgrade when using a external monitor everything seem to stay the same.
    Any other questions? I'm loving the looks and the performance , runs everything one 1080 resolution , so I'm happy , extremely light and portable ? Loving this laptops, looks pretty well build , pretty sure it will last me a long time .

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    38

    Did you tried using it on the lap. Is it difficult to use that way?

    Does hand wrist thing help when using on the table? Or is not needed, due to low thickness of laptop?

    Have you tried using external monitor, with laptop lid closed?
    That is the scenario I assume laptop would downclock, due to inability to dissipate heat when closed.

    I'm glad about low noise. I think that together with small format are the are best features of that laptop.

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Umm I can see myself using it like that , but the part that opens at the very bottom is not super firm , so I don't think it'll be ideal , but definetely usable on lap.

    I used the hand wrist once and found it irrelevant, and never used it again, actually I'm using on my main desktop on my keyboard .

    Have you tried using external monitor, with laptop lid closed?
    I couldnt use it with the lid closed but tbh I never tried it , just now and it just shut off.

    And the noise, the looks , size and weight are big part of the premium price, definetely recommended if those are your concerns ( like me college gamer on the go) but if you don't care about look or weight or size , just get a cheaper , fatter and bad looking laptop for less.
    And remember 2 and half hours maximum of gaming so if you are on the go add the weight of the actual unit which is pretty big aswell , About 1.5 pounds.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    20

    A friend already got his, and I'm expecting to get my Zephy by August 12 (pre-order). I've been researching ways to extend the run-time even just for office work/browsing/videos. I am thinking of getting the Lifepowr A2 or A3, both of which sport an AC power outlet and can handle up to 120W. The disadvantage of this model is that you still have to bring the Zephy's bulky power adapter. I'm also looking into DC power banks that can handle 100w or higher.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by rene_canlas View Post
    A friend already got his, and I'm expecting to get my Zephy by August 12 (pre-order). I've been researching ways to extend the run-time even just for office work/browsing/videos. I am thinking of getting the Lifepowr A2 or A3, both of which sport an AC power outlet and can handle up to 120W. The disadvantage of this model is that you still have to bring the Zephy's bulky power adapter. I'm also looking into DC power banks that can handle 100w or higher.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    can you please ask your friend or when you get yours , how are the temperatures while gaming on ultra.
    I get between low 80's and 86.
    While playing Black dessert or Overwatch ill give it a try on League of legends which is not too demanding, but I really hear my fan going while gaming...

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Speakers

    Hey guys, just got mine. Are the speakers that bad or I have a faulty unit. I get a lot of distortion at times specially from the right speaker. You tube is the worse. During gaming and Netflix/Spotify is also bad if I get past 70%. Headphones sound is perfect. Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks!

  8. #8
    Ex-employee Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    108
    Posts
    2,154

    Quote Originally Posted by jocavedd View Post
    Hey guys, just got mine. Are the speakers that bad or I have a faulty unit. I get a lot of distortion at times specially from the right speaker. You tube is the worse. During gaming and Netflix/Spotify is also bad if I get past 70%. Headphones sound is perfect. Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks!
    Can you record something for us to hear? My experience testing out the audio through the notebook speakers during Computex, the speakers sounded pretty good.

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    Can you record something for us to hear? My experience testing out the audio through the notebook speakers during Computex, the speakers sounded pretty good.
    I spoke to support. Clearly a faulty speaker. Sound perfect if I only use the other speaker. RMA request sent : (

  10. #10
    Ex-employee Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    108
    Posts
    2,154

    Quote Originally Posted by jocavedd View Post
    I spoke to support. Clearly a faulty speaker. Sound perfect if I only use the other speaker. RMA request sent : (
    Sucks, I hope you get it back soon.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •