cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus GX501 feedback?

player1_fanatic
Level 7
I was surprised that there was no thread for this laptop.

So here is one.

Any lucky buyers?

Is the keyboard as bad as shown in reviews (especially if used in lap)?

Can numpad section be converted to arrows, home/end, pgup/pgdn keys?

Is noise emission really lower then in 15" Asus laptops with GTX 1060?

Is battery as bad as shown in some reviews?

Anybody confirmed CPU/GPU downclock if using with closed lid and extranal monitor?
91 REPLIES 91

Seekario
Level 7
One lucky buyer here 😄
Well the keyboard isn't as bad as it seems , it takes a bit of taking use to it , but I use it with no problems ...

I didn't attempt to change the number pad to any other key
Is extremely quiet , like extremely like 35 decibels under heavy load , which is pretty good .

Battery lasts about 2 to 3 hours under low usage , 1:30 to 2 hours under gaming .

I couldn't confirm CPU / GPU downgrade , I didn't noticed any downgrade when using a external monitor everything seem to stay the same.
Any other questions? I'm loving the looks and the performance , runs everything one 1080 resolution , so I'm happy , extremely light and portable ? Loving this laptops, looks pretty well build , pretty sure it will last me a long time .

Seekario wrote:
One lucky buyer here 😄
Well the keyboard isn't as bad as it seems , it takes a bit of taking use to it , but I use it with no problems ...

I didn't attempt to change the number pad to any other key
Is extremely quiet , like extremely like 35 decibels under heavy load , which is pretty good .

Battery lasts about 2 to 3 hours under low usage , 1:30 to 2 hours under gaming .

I couldn't confirm CPU / GPU downgrade , I didn't noticed any downgrade when using a external monitor everything seem to stay the same.
Any other questions? I'm loving the looks and the performance , runs everything one 1080 resolution , so I'm happy , extremely light and portable ? Loving this laptops, looks pretty well build , pretty sure it will last me a long time .

Hi. Can please someone offer me the folder called "esupport" from c: for this laptop? I've lost mine by mistake, and it's hard to find it. I really nead it. Thank you so much

Andyluca6933 wrote:
Hi. Can please someone offer me the folder called "esupport" from c: for this laptop? I've lost mine by mistake, and it's hard to find it. I really nead it. Thank you so much

You might need to contact technical support for a request like this or ask someone who owns this model can send these files to you.

Bahz wrote:
You might need to contact technical support for a request like this or ask someone who owns this model can send these files to you.

Hi. Yes, this is what i try. I want someone who can send me his files. If someone whith this model gx501 can, please let me know here. I offer 20£/€.Thank you

player1_fanatic
Level 7
Did you tried using it on the lap. Is it difficult to use that way?

Does hand wrist thing help when using on the table? Or is not needed, due to low thickness of laptop?

Have you tried using external monitor, with laptop lid closed?
That is the scenario I assume laptop would downclock, due to inability to dissipate heat when closed.

I'm glad about low noise. I think that together with small format are the are best features of that laptop.

Umm I can see myself using it like that , but the part that opens at the very bottom is not super firm , so I don't think it'll be ideal , but definetely usable on lap.

I used the hand wrist once and found it irrelevant, and never used it again, actually I'm using on my main desktop on my keyboard .

Have you tried using external monitor, with laptop lid closed?
I couldnt use it with the lid closed but tbh I never tried it , just now and it just shut off.

And the noise, the looks , size and weight are big part of the premium price, definetely recommended if those are your concerns ( like me college gamer on the go) but if you don't care about look or weight or size , just get a cheaper , fatter and bad looking laptop for less.
And remember 2 and half hours maximum of gaming so if you are on the go add the weight of the actual unit which is pretty big aswell , About 1.5 pounds.

rene_canlas
Level 7
A friend already got his, and I'm expecting to get my Zephy by August 12 (pre-order). I've been researching ways to extend the run-time even just for office work/browsing/videos. I am thinking of getting the Lifepowr A2 or A3, both of which sport an AC power outlet and can handle up to 120W. The disadvantage of this model is that you still have to bring the Zephy's bulky power adapter. I'm also looking into DC power banks that can handle 100w or higher.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

rene_canlas wrote:
A friend already got his, and I'm expecting to get my Zephy by August 12 (pre-order). I've been researching ways to extend the run-time even just for office work/browsing/videos. I am thinking of getting the Lifepowr A2 or A3, both of which sport an AC power outlet and can handle up to 120W. The disadvantage of this model is that you still have to bring the Zephy's bulky power adapter. I'm also looking into DC power banks that can handle 100w or higher.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

can you please ask your friend or when you get yours , how are the temperatures while gaming on ultra.
I get between low 80's and 86.
While playing Black dessert or Overwatch ill give it a try on League of legends which is not too demanding, but I really hear my fan going while gaming...

Hey guys, just got mine. Are the speakers that bad or I have a faulty unit. I get a lot of distortion at times specially from the right speaker. You tube is the worse. During gaming and Netflix/Spotify is also bad if I get past 70%. Headphones sound is perfect. Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks!