Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Unfortunately I cannot afford being without my computer for so long, so RMA is not an option for me.
    There is only one thing I haven't tried yet and that is reflashing an old bios. I have just done that and right away I have reset the bios.

For now is working well, but is too son to tell, because the issue happens randomly and lasts few minutes or hours...it has no sense.

Thanks anyway for your time.
    Last edited by Venumz; 07-17-2017 at 04:01 PM.

ROG Member Array

OK, I have done some progress and it seems that I have been able to bypass the issue.
    Since this may help someone, here it is what I have found:

Facts:

- I'm running Gnu/Linux Mint 18.1 and the cpu is cold (42C), suddenly the fan goes crazy, load average is low so there's no much sense in pushing the fan so hard
    - rebotting does not change things, even at bios stage the fan goes crazy and even booting windows 10 changes nothing.
    - shutting down the pc and booting again solves the issue momentarily. It starts with full fan speed and as soon as the bios hits, the fan slows down. (after a while the fan goes crazy again).

This 3 facts together make me suspect that the issue is not related to the operating systems, but with the bios.

Today the issue was very annoying and working in a quiet space with other people around me has proven difficult so I have tried something new, this is installing a kernel upgrade (4.2.12) and trying to control manually the fan with a Linux utility called fancontrol. This didn't work with my old kernel and that is the reason why I have upgraded it.

With fancontrol I have been able to set a scale of temperatures between which I can set the speed limits of the fan.
    Fan control just monitors the temperature of one core and writes a number from 0 to 255 in a file that is used to set the fan speed. This number represents the speed of the fan, and you don't need fancontrol to do that, you can do it manually, fancontrol just do the work for you.

This worked great, and I was very happy with it, but Murphy's law hit me so hard when suddenly, no matter what, the fan started crazy again (the bios seems to be overriding fancontrol and any manual intervention).

So, this procedure is not making things better.

Fortunately, looking out for solutions regarding skylake + fan speed, I have found one guy that did solve the issue installing the kernel 4.6.0 that somehow manages to not being override by the bios.

I'm using that kernel right now, without the help of fancontrol and things are going great so far.
    I am not using the nvidia graphics card but the intel graphics card, otherwise the temperature gets high enough to hear the fun, even though in this case this would be the normal behavior.

That's all, I hope this would help other people.

ex-ASUS Employee Array Eleiyas PC Specs
    Eleiyas PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
    ProcessorAMD FX 8370
    Memory (part number)Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 - 2G
    MonitorLG Flatron E2240T 21.5'' 1080p Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB 6GB/s
    CPU CoolerAMD Wraith Cooler
    CaseNZXT Lexa S
    Power SupplyCorsair CX600 600W (Bronze)
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless AZERTY
    Mouse Microsoft Wireless
    Headset Evil Witchcraft II Gaming Headset (Black/Red)
    Mouse Pad Wild Wolf Hunter
    Headset/Speakers 4Gamers 2.1 Sound-System
    OS Windows 10 Professional - Creator's
    Network RouterZiggo

Like I said previously,

I don't think the BIOS or anything is the problem here - simply because this is the first I've heard of this model of unit having such a bizarre fan issue. If it was a BIOS issue, then it can only be user-induced, because otherwise everyone would have this issue.

I honestly believe you have a faulty temperature sensor or fan controller on your mainboard.

However, I am still glad you found a work-around, which will hopefully work-out for you.

P.S: I'd still recommend RMA''ing the laptop if and when you can.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Eleiyas@ASUS View Post
    Like I said previously,

I don't think the BIOS or anything is the problem here - simply because this is the first I've heard of this model of unit having such a bizarre fan issue. If it was a BIOS issue, then it can only be user-induced, because otherwise everyone would have this issue.

I honestly believe you have a faulty temperature sensor or fan controller on your mainboard.

However, I am still glad you found a work-around, which will hopefully work-out for you.

P.S: I'd still recommend RMA''ing the laptop if and when you can.
    Yeah, it is possible that there's something faulty with my laptop, but RMA is not something I can even consider.
    The workaround is good enough for me because I use windows just to play games and I don't mind the noise in that case (any laptop is going to have the fan at max speed while playing games) and Linux is working well at the moment so I am able to do my job without disturbing others as well.

Thanks!

ROG Member Array

Hi again,
    I have found a thread with very good information related to this issue:
    https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...tch/issues/134

I'm not alone with my problem as I have found many people that have similar issues, many of them even posted in the Asus forums, you can check it out just by searching "asus fan loudness" on google.

Out of the box and using linux, in some models of Asus the loudness of the fan is likely to happen. You can solve the issue, but is not easy to find how, and you can do it without RMA your laptop. So this is something that can be bypassed using software.

I really hope that the information provided by the link above is going to help addressing the problem for future versions of the bios/hardware, etc.

ROG Member Array

It seems that nobody gives a crap about the issue since I haven't got any answers to my last reply and the bios hasn't been updated since a long long time ago.

This issue with the fans is kind of random and when you figure that the issue is solved, it starts happening again.
    Recently I had lost any hope and I decided that the issue was going to be fixed no matter the cost, I didn't care anymore if the computer bricks since by now I hate it so much that breaking the laptop has become an acceptable solution for me.

This is what I have tried:

- unlock the bios to show all the hidden options and change the thermal settings, but there wasn't a single combination that actually could solve the issue
    - remove the Intel management engine using me_cleaner and an external programmer. I downloaded the firmware and after applying me_cleaner, I flashed the modified firmware into the chip. Even though the system started and I could boot both windows and linux, the system became unstable, so I flashed againg the original firmware. To my surprise, since I did this, a week have passed and I haven't got anymore issues with the fans.

So after trying everything I could find in the Internet for several months, the only thing that have worked is reflashing the ME firmware. This sound very suspicious to me, like there was some settings cached that do not work anymore after reflashing the chip (were you mining bitcoins with my laptop guys?)

3 of my last 4 laptops have been asus, my wife's laptop is Asus and the motherboard of one of the computers in my home is Asus so I've been a loyal and happy customer since many years ago, but I'm feed up. No solution but to RMA the computer has been given to me and frankly RMA is NOT a solution, it could take almost 1.5 months if you are lucky...

Good bye forever Asus.

ROG Junior Member Array

I have the same issue.

I have updated all drivers and the BIOS to the latest available version.

I have this laptop for a year now but this issue only started happening recently (1 month or so) and for that reason it seems unlikely to be a hardward problem - at least it wasn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
    Right after I wrote this reply I went back to the Asus drivers page and checked if there was something I missed before. I updated one last driver "Intel INF Driver" and that seems to have solved it... At least it's quiet at the moment...
    Last edited by Nospheratus; 01-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nospheratus View Post
    I have the same issue.

I have updated all drivers and the BIOS to the latest available version.

I have this laptop for a year now but this issue only started happening recently (1 month or so) and for that reason it seems unlikely to be a hardward problem - at least it wasn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
    Right after I wrote this reply I went back to the Asus drivers page and checked if there was something I missed before. I updated one last driver "Intel INF Driver" and that seems to have solved it... At least it's quiet at the moment...
    I hope this would solve the problem for you. In my case it is not dependent of the operating system and I use much more Linux than Windows so a windows driver is not a solution for me. A new firmware to remove the Intel management engine backdoor is the real solution for me, but in the mean time I will flash back the IME chip as soon as it happen again.

ROG Enthusiast Array

i really think asus did a bad job setting up the bios

you talked about unlock bios to see advanced options
    how did you do that? how can you unlock bios 305?

asus should let users control fans as they would like, the ROG series are great. but loud.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by bestasensual View Post
    i really think asus did a bad job setting up the bios

you talked about unlock bios to see advanced options
    how did you do that? how can you unlock bios 305?

asus should let users control fans as they would like, the ROG series are great. but loud.
    Agreed, a computer designed for gamers should be much, much more configurable without the need to tamper the bios.

I followed this instructions to unlock mine which is 300:
    http://voltground.com/haven/threads/102/

By the way, no bios configuration solved the loud fan issue, flashing the IME chip instead did the trick.
    Up to now my fans are quiet unless I run something very demanding like a video game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast