ROG Enthusiast Array

What are PSS Support and NX Mode?

Can anybody explain what PSS Support and NX Mode under the Advanced\CPU configuration are?
    And how to configure (enable or disable) them during overclocking.

ROG Member Array Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3700X
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB
    Sound CardIntegrated
    MonitorSamsung P2350
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D-14
    CaseFractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760
    Keyboard DELL SK8110/Logitech Orion 610
    Mouse ASUS Gladius
    Headset Sennheiser HD380 Pro
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

A little late but from what I'm understanding, NX is basically equivalent to Intel's "Disable Execute Bit" option, prevents things being executed in memory that is marked as non-executable. It's a security feature.

PSS I'm unsure, I'm looking in to that right now... preliminary finding is that it is a Power Saving feature. Can't really find anything about it, there's one topic on Google Search with people assuming it is Power Saving related, I can't find anything else about it o_o

This is literally the only thing I can find about PSS: https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-...ttings-section

I too would like to know more about PSS.

Edit: I also found this which guesses it stands for Power Supported State and is equivalent to Intel's Cool'n'Quiet functionality: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/foru...postid=1976998
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 07-30-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard|16GB DDR4 3600Mhz RAM|Integrated Audio|MSI Geforce 1070Ti|Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply|Fractal Define Design R5 Computer Case|Samsung P2350 Monitor

ROG Member Array Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3700X
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB
    Sound CardIntegrated
    MonitorSamsung P2350
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D-14
    CaseFractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760
    Keyboard DELL SK8110/Logitech Orion 610
    Mouse ASUS Gladius
    Headset Sennheiser HD380 Pro
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer1 View Post
    Can anybody explain what PSS Support and NX Mode under the Advanced\CPU configuration are?
    And how to configure (enable or disable) them during overclocking.
    I found out this information on the 3 things the ASUS UEFI mentions, no clue what to do with the information though because it's too complex for me: https://imgur.com/a/nti5lLu
    Source: https://uefi.org/sites/default/files...inal_Jan30.pdf

I dunno what the "levels" mean/do/intended scenario for each level when the PSS Support option is enabled on my motherboard. All I know is the default Level consistently triggers a specific BSOD error during Windows bootup at the exact same point in the bootup process, happens every time from a cold boot and intermittently from a warm reboot (began after Hyper V was installed) so I leave PSS Support turned off.

At a very rough guess, PSS Support might be needed for XFR boosting to work.

Edit:

Actually, I think I kinda get it now. PPC tells the O/S what Power States are available. PSS defines the Power States. PCT is what allows the O/S to control Power State. In the UEFI the PPC is configurable and the higher the value you set it to, the more levels of Power States are available for the O/S to dynamically change between.

On my motherboard the default for PPC (value of 0) limits the O/S to only the highest performance defined by PSS and my computer doesn't like that during Windows Bootup. Edit: nope, my PC just hates PSS Support. It still has a very, very high probability of triggering a "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" on Windows bootup when it is enabled and set to any level.
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 10-01-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard|16GB DDR4 3600Mhz RAM|Integrated Audio|MSI Geforce 1070Ti|Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply|Fractal Define Design R5 Computer Case|Samsung P2350 Monitor