cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX GTX 1070 8G - Crashes & Blank Screens

GingerGallifrey
Level 7
So...
I've come here for a bit of troubleshooting support from the community.

I'm experiencing an issue with my 1070 STRIX, and before I go and drop my card into an RMA box and spend 2-6 weeks waiting for someone to either return it or replace it, I've come to you all for a bit of support that I can't seem to get from the Asus support system.

Symptoms/Problem: Since Under load / Playing games / Running Netflix / Temp >55C / Just sitting browsing Facebook, the following happens - both my monitors (1 DVI & 1 HDMI) go black with no signal coming from the Card. Fans running - no loss of power, no programs affected - only video/monitor signal.
IF it comes back on, it states that the Driver has stopped working & was restarted / recovered. Windows then attempts to adjust colour scheme for some reason.
IF it doesn't come back I lose all video until a hard reset.

Solutions attempted listed in no particular order:
Cable swap
Return to stock settings on card / Adjust fan curve in Tweak II
Close all unnecessary processes except that which I am focused on running
Full reset of Drivers & update to most recent, including DUC clean of system / registry
Modified TDR in Registry to prevent possible timeout
Bios & Cmos flash / update
Seated card in any one of the 3 slots available
Memtest & Chkdsk & Windows integrity checks
Run Benchmarks & stress tests (Black screen occurs on stress tests if the program doesn't crash itself for some reason)

I'm about to do a fresh install of my OS - W7P in the event of any possible conflict
Currently waiting on another compatible system to test the card for same issue - Ultimately to determine if it is flaky and requires RMA. I really can't be without the video card due to required 3D resource modeling work

Does anyone have any alternate solutions?

System Stats: No compatibility issues experienced in the past
STRIX GTX 1070 8G (Purchased in February '17)
i7 3770K
Z77 Asus Sabertooth
16GB DDR3 1600
250 SSD / 750 Hybrid
850W PS-Gold
Single Power cable dedicated to Video Card (not split)
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hi Ginger

Welcome to the ROG forum.

With the Strix 1070 at stock settings try increasing the voltage to 100% and see if it's any better.

I thank you for your suggestion. I wasn't able to try it though.
Now, it's not even registering in the PCIE slot
I think that's it. It's flaky. Something must have gone wrong on it and either shorted or failed. No physical damage that I can see, never dropped or mishandled. And the fans/LEDs are working just fine.

I did a full clean. Pulled the card, blew the whole system out with compressed air, reseated the card into a different slot, fresh install of OS...
And now it can't detect a video card in the system other than my onboard.

So, RMA it is.
Not looking forward to it.

GingerGallifrey wrote:
I thank you for your suggestion. I wasn't able to try it though.
Now, it's not even registering in the PCIE slot
I think that's it. It's flaky. Something must have gone wrong on it and either shorted or failed. No physical damage that I can see, never dropped or mishandled. And the fans/LEDs are working just fine.

I did a full clean. Pulled the card, blew the whole system out with compressed air, reseated the card into a different slot, fresh install of OS...
And now it can't detect a video card in the system other than my onboard.

So, RMA it is.
Not looking forward to it.

Sucks to hear, let us know if the issue is resolved when you receive the replacement. You can PM me with the S/N and RMA info if you run into any issues with the RMA and I'll help you follow up on it.