Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

why there are no any cooling for the vram and vrm on rog strix 1050ti

what a shame, charging premium price for inadequate cooling as a result in poor overclocking....
    asus even prohibits users to mod additional heatsinks on them.... stupid protective sticker.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Reference GTX1050Ti is rated for 75W/300W TDP and max operating temp of 97C. If your card exceeds rated temp (97C) then the cooing is inadequate. And the Strix 1050Ti has DirectCU II plus a pair of ASUS 0dB Wing-Blade fans.

But instead of paying "premium price" for the Strix 1050Ti you could pay "normal price" for reference 1050Ti ... and get a card with substantially inferior cooling, lol.

So why do you say it's inadequate cooling? What are your maximum observed temps under sustained peak load?

Few people bother to mod fans and heatsinks onto GPU cards. If they upgrade the cooling at all, it'll almost always be to waterblocks.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

Like Korth says, it's additional cooling for Vram and VRM is just not needed on a 1050ti, the cooling supplied by the factory heatsink is enough

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    Reference GTX1050Ti is rated for 75W/300W TDP and max operating temp of 97C. If your card exceeds rated temp (97C) then the cooing is inadequate. And the Strix 1050Ti has DirectCU II plus a pair of ASUS 0dB Wing-Blade fans.

But instead of paying "premium price" for the Strix 1050Ti you could pay "normal price" for reference 1050Ti ... and get a card with substantially inferior cooling, lol.

So why do you say it's inadequate cooling? What are your maximum observed temps under sustained peak load?

Few people bother to mod fans and heatsinks onto GPU cards. If they upgrade the cooling at all, it'll almost always be to waterblocks.
    i am not talking about gpu die cooling, but the cooling of vram and vrm on the card.
    this strix 1050ti has 100% 75w max stock power limit settings and it can be raised to 200% 150w max.

maybe you should go check some 1050ti from other brands like galax oc which has active vrm cooling from the main heatsink.
    or gigabyte 1050ti g1 which even has thermal pad on the back of the pcb serving for the REAL cooling function of the backplate.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Interesting you should mention backplate cooling. It doesn't make a tangible difference. None. It's just an aesthetic accessory that provides a bit of extra support. A PCB is not as good a heat conductor as the heat spreaders on the front of the chips so even if you can get the back a few degrees cooler it does not make the chips any cooler.
    Relevent test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsxuNXyDJk

So what Korth and Menthol are getting at is whether your VRM is actually overheating or if you are just assuming it will.

What are your actual temps?
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Interesting you should mention backplate cooling. It doesn't make a tangible difference. None. It's just an aesthetic accessory that provides a bit of extra support. A PCB is not as good a heat conductor as the heat spreaders on the front of the chips so even if you can get the back a few degrees cooler it does not make the chips any cooler.
    Relevent test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsxuNXyDJk

So what Korth and Menthol are getting at is whether your VRM is actually overheating or if you are just assuming it will.

What are your actual temps?
    still, i am not talking about the gpu die temp.
    vrm cooling and vram cooling should never be cheap out.
    four phases vcore for 75w may be okay. but for 150w max, i wont take that risk.
    unless, the additional 6pin connector and the 150w max power limit settings on the bios are just for "aesthetic".

fyi
    http://www.pcdiy.com.tw/assets/image...83e6a154f.jpeg
    http://www.pcdiy.com.tw/assets/image...cc6ece88e.jpeg

if you want to know more about how thermal pads on the backplate help reducing vram temp and vrm temp, you can go check gamersnexus reviews of previous evga disaster and the latest zotac 1080ti amp extreme review showing how bad backplate is trapping the vrm heat.
    Last edited by ir3555; 07-11-2017 at 06:17 PM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array haihane PC Specs
    haihane PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Memory (part number)Gskill F3-2400C10-8GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS HD 6950
    Storage #1WD Velociraptor 1TB
    Storage #2Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120XL
    CaseCooler Master Silencio 650
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64
    Network RouterLinksys E2500

Quote Originally Posted by ir3555 View Post
    you can go check gamersnexus reviews of previous evga disaster and the latest zotac 1080ti amp extreme review showing how bad backplate is trapping the vrm heat.

not trying to dispute the importance of VRM thermal pads at all... but rather, only that specific sentence seems queer, almost oxymoron-ish. so i'm counter-inquiring you on that.

didn't that very same video mention that the ASUS Strix cards being simply the best? in their conclusion, zotac's 1080ti overdesigned but all of that didn't do nutthin.

just doubly making sure that i wasn't hearing things, and that i pride on my own information accuracy, here's the time where he said it: https://youtu.be/iiLSxhyiZss?t=843

i'm wondering if the same logic can be applied on ASUS' 1050Ti, and questioning whether the pads are really that necessary.
    heck, even if i'm wrong in my suspicion, that's fine too. imma just take the damn card, stick some pads there, and job done.
    no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

We understand the difference between GPU die and VRM, VRAM and what you are talking about, we just don't see the concern
    Do you own this card, are you actually having any issues with the card
    ASUS must have tested and decided that the air passing through the heatsink provides adequate cooling to these components
    You have the option to purchase from another manufacturer

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by ir3555 View Post
    if you want to know more about how thermal pads on the backplate help reducing vram temp and vrm temp, you can go check gamersnexus reviews of previous evga disaster and the latest zotac 1080ti amp extreme review showing how bad backplate is trapping the vrm heat.
    Sure, a high end card with a bad backplate design could trap heat. However I don't know if the Strix 1050ti has a bad backplate design and it's definitely not a high end card. Do you have any evidence for _this card_ that the cooling is inadequate or that the backplate is causing problems? It seems like you are assuming based on issues with a different class of card from a different company.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

My (anecdotal) experience is that backplates do improve temps but a tiny margin, <2C at best. On higher-powered cards which run hot, a good thermal-pad-and-backplate arrangement does pull a little heat off the PCB. Lesser cards don't benefit as much from backplates because the front-side cooling is already enough to keep them fairly cool, less excess heat on the PCB means less heat can transfer to the backplate. And, to be fair, most backplates are primarily cosmetic, many don't mate well with thermal hotspots or even bother to mount thermally conductive pads/fillers, very few backplates (that I've seen) are designed with functionally efficient heat transfer or heat radiation in mind. Yes, there are some bad (even very bad) backplate designs out there which will actually increase real temps on the GPU card.

1050Ti is one of the weakest of the NVIDIA GeForce 10 Series cards - 1030, 1050, 1050Ti, 1060, 1070, 1080, 1080Ti, Titan X (GP102), Titan Xp.
    It's roughly one-fifth as powerful as a 1080Ti. It has 4GB GDDR5 - comparable to a GTX980. Yet reference 1050Ti VRMs are much more efficient than those seen on the very fastest of the fastest factory-overclocked GTX980 cards (Galax HOF and EVGA Kingpin), and those volt-modded cards pulled far more than 150W.

Reference 1050Ti cooling is a standard active heatsink arrangement with one centered fan. Many 1050Ti cards are actually "half-sized" versions with stripped-down VRMs and cooling, yet they overclock fairly well. The Strix 1050Ti is a "full-sized" card with DirectCU II cooling (which has direct contact only with the GPU but also covers the VRM and VRAM components), it has two better-and-larger-than-reference fans, it has a backplate, it follows reference PCB and VRM layout (for compatibility, I think) but it uses far better quality components with substantially higher performance specs.

So I'm of the opinion that a Strix 1050Ti should easily overclock well with the ASUS-provided cooling.

You do understand that the VRM and VRAM hardware is immediately adjacent to the main GPU ASIC - as physcially and electrically close as possible in circuit to maximize signal integrity and minimize response latency - so it's also covered by the DirectCU II heatsink (which is itself all covered by forced airflow)? This is already "active" VRM cooling, quite comparable to what's on the Galax card although perhaps not as hyped in the marketing, it just doesn't get more "active" without putting (small) direct-contact heatpipes onto the (small) VRM chips themselves - and that would consequently leave less space to put (big) heatpipes onto the (big) GPU ASIC. And - assuming the Strix 1050Ti lacks the thermal pads seen on the Gigabyte card - you can purchase enough of the very-highest-efficiency thermally conductive pads/strips to cover the entire card for a little less than five bucks.

Although I'm with the others in this thread - I ask whether you've actually observed "unacceptable" high temps on an overclocked Strix 1050Ti or if you're just shopping for the very best of the best overclocking 1050Ti card you can find? If it's the latter then I'd even go so far as to say don't waste your time, the Strix is perhaps the best and certainly among the best at overclocking and cooling, but it's still a waste of time compared to a GTX1060 or better, lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast