cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under performing since 2011

Rich_Hardway
Level 7
Got what i have found to be a tough one here.
First, the build as it now sits.
Intel I7-960 @ 3.2, 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz
Asus rampage III Extreme running Bios 1502 latest version released sometime 2013, I doubt there are anymore in the pipe.
HyperX T1 Series 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Model KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/3GX times 2
Samsung 840 evo 256Gig over Sata 6
Seagate 3tb over Sata 6 Gig
ASUS GeForce GTX 590 (Fermi) DirectX 11 ENGTX590/3DIS/3GD5 3GB 768-Bit the GTX590 X2 card known only as the Under Performer
EVGA GTX 460 as Physx processor.
Forgot the PSU.... ENERMAX Platimax EPM1200EWT 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM
yada yada yada. want to know more just ask. and yes i have the newest drivers.

The problem, from day one i felt like this thing wasn't giving me it's all. At this point I am sure it never has. No glitching, no crash due to GPU, just
solid mediocre performance. Back then even though it wasn't what it should have been it was OK because it was top tier and managed well.
Recently I came into the possession of 2 HD 7950s. The were produced one year after my 590s. On passmark.com one HD 7950 scores a 4765. one GTX 590 Scores 4174. They should be comparable performance wise. 1 HD 7950 out performs my 2 GTX 590s by 10 to 20%. Two Hd 7950s blow it out of the water. this PC with 2 HD 7950s scores just shy of 11,000 in fire strike
that Physix card I'm using, The GTX 460..... take out the 590s run the 460 solo 2 more FPS.... on the low side. WTF????? WHY??????
Any help is appreciated hope everyone is enjoying their evening thanks for reading!
11 REPLIES 11

Eleiyas
Level 10
Old cards past their prime, bad clock speeds, heat issues...

could be any number of things

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
Old cards past their prime, bad clock speeds, heat issues...

could be any number of things

card wasn't past its prime the day spent $799.95 for it, but it performed like it was.

Tim replaced, 0 throttling, under clocked & overclocked small shift in fps.

everything i'm seeing says this should hit as least 9K in Fire strike not under 5K.

something is missing.

Menthol
Level 14
What OS version and 32 or 64 bit? if 64 bit I would install 6 or 12Gb of memory, 3X2GB, 6X2GB, or 3X4GB, other than that it's been to long since I played with X58 platform, I had sli 580's on my RIIIE when I upgraded

Menthol wrote:
What OS version and 32 or 64 bit? if 64 bit I would install 6 or 12Gb of memory, 3X2GB, 6X2GB, or 3X4GB, other than that it's been to long since I played with X58 platform, I had sli 580's on my RIIIE when I upgraded

Running Win 10 64bit
currently have 6 gigs 3x1Gb x 2 kits.

Don't give up, there is a answer at least, if not a solution.

i would have thought the 2 GPU's being on the same card would take the guess work out of the equation.
Perhaps not, found a PDF from Nvidia from around the same time my card was produced. Should be a good go to for information for
a lot of people.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/whitepapers/2011/SLI_Best_Practices_2011_Feb.pdf

I'm working my way through it trying to find the answer if anyone sees something in it or anywhere else let me know.

architecture may be different but most of the principals are the same over the last 10 years..

Korth
Level 14
How much abuse on these old parts? Have the VRMs and CPU been running years of overclocks or heat temps? Have those old GPU cards seen a lot of heavy gaming, coin mining, or other abuse? ASUS-built stuff has a tendency to run steady for many years, lol, but not when pushing hot overclocks.

How's the 6y old PSU holding up? This is one component which is certainly de-rated with age.

Do performances on this system become more impressive with a newer and mightier PSU is installed?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

no abuse, i never had any luck overclocking Nvidia GPU's I tried the GPU tweek ASUS put out with this card but it did nothing for me and just took resources.
no coin mining and i don't game all that much average per week 8 hours. I have tried with another PSU no change. I see you don't have a solution or even an
idea to try. Not sure if you actually read anything here you would have noticed IT HAS BEEN UNDER PERFORMING FROM DAY 1. The card was the best you could buy and was just barely better then a single GTX590 for 40% more $$$.

Now the HD7950s they were in a mining rig for all of their lives till i got them. I just found out one of them is bad and has died in another pc.
ONE WAS FAILING AND IS NOW DEAD, and alone the now dead card was beating this dual 590 gtx.

If you have an idea or something to try feel free to comment again.
I have 4 other gaming PC's the reason i don't play much games is i work a lot allowing me to spend all i want on PC's.
The last tower i built is my entertainment PC. i spent 5.5K for it 6 months ago. I can replace this thing tomorrow no problem. What do I gain from that? what does anyone gain? aside from the companies i buy the parts from. I don't know if you noticed but the progression of computers has slowed A LOT. bought a pc in 97? it was useless by 2000. This old ass PC with it's cobwebs and dust balls PULLED AN 11,000 in fire strike extreme with two HD 7950s one DIEING days later.

This card has always under performed. Why? was it literally that one time I used Asus GPU Tweek and set the preset for Overclock pushing the GPU's a whopping
32Htz and killed the cards from ever again working at specs?

So be it, now help me prove it or fix what the problem really is. If it was something I did i want to know so I don't do it again and others can avoid the same pitfall

OK small problem X299 Yuk.

Korth
Level 14
I actually did read everything here. I understand your frustration. I even understand and sympathize with your need to rant.

But too bad you chose to be rude.

So I feel no need to offer my ideas, advice, help, fixes, or to "prove" anything to you here. It's now strictly a "you problem", I wish you luck and I'm withdrawn from your thread.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Eleiyas
Level 10
So, I trawled through hundreds of FireStrike test results and came up with this:

- Keep in mind, I made sure the processors were the same and had the same clock speed (3.2Ghz) -

SCORE
8 430 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590(4x) and Intel Core i7-960 Processor
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3502054

SCORE
10 248 with AMD Radeon HD 7950(2x) and Intel Core i7-960 Processor
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10099447

As you can see, 4 GTX590s can't compete with only 2 HD7950s.

Also: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7950-vs-GeForce-GTX-590

Quite simply, I think you believe that they should be the same performance, but the honest truth is that they do not have the same performance.

Your GTX590s are probably performing as they should and always have been.