Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Wasn't the black one supposed to be the original one (with Skylake CPU)?

With GL502VMK being light gray (I have that one, and bought it in Europe).

Or is GL502VMK sold now in both chassis?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by player1_fanatic View Post
    Wasn't the black one supposed to be the original one (with Skylake CPU)?

With GL502VMK being light gray (I have that one, and bought it in Europe).

Or is GL502VMK sold now in both chassis?
    Yeah it is sold in both. My GL502VMK is the black one with the orange key caps, and I bought it in the USA.

ROG Member Array

Seriously, what's with all the aggressiveness inside this post? Absolutely unnecessary. Don't forgot what we are trying to achieve/conclude is the ambiguous specification of the GL502VM Thunderbolt 3. Link626 has made a point, but written in a rather aggressive style, and I absolutely hate any type of drama involving this. I am taking my own time to type up these posts, and I am sure, to a certain degree, that there are not many people who own an XG Station 2, a GL502VM, and a GTX 1080TI, I am walking alone doing these tests and completing the benchmarks at my own leisure.

There are no official Asus Representatives that can help (those Asus people I can get my hands on are the ones who read off their own website written by their marketing department (or written by undergraduate interns even)).

There are no official Asus engineers that are able to help resolve this ambiguous issue, and this is what we need the most.

Link626, if you are so sure of the Thunderbolt 3 IC inside the GL502VM, would you take the time to write a step by step instruction on how to properly benchmark the equipment I have, rather than taking the time to type up arguments with other members of the forum? I am not so well versed with computers, maybe 10x lesser than you are, so I greatly appreciate your help if you are willing to. And please, do not link me google searched websites, what I require, is a legible step-by-step instruction from your own knowledge on how to verify what you are trying to prove, since I believe I am the only person on this forum with the said equipment. Spread the knowledge for the greater good, perhaps? : )

You provide the instructions, I provide the equipment, I display the data.
    Or unless your ego with your engineering knowledge has swallowed you whole, you won't provide the instructions?

Some notes to help with the diagnosis:
    My laptop was bought in Taiwan.
    Model: GL502VM (Kaby-Lake CPU)
    Cover: Light Gray.
    No orange keycaps on my keyboard like the one sold in USA.
    XG Station 2 purchased in Taiwan.
    GPU: Gigabyte N1080AORUS X-11GD (AORUS GTX 1080Ti X.E.11G)

And just to add, I am NOT disassembling my laptop. This will void the warranty I have with Asus, and their warranty after-service is why I put my entire trust in Asus products.

Much appreciated!
    Last edited by Jellyfish; 08-16-2017 at 01:44 AM.

ASUS HQ Service Rep Array Bill@ROG's Avatar

Hello Jellyfish
    I've received reply from our team about your initial question:
    The Onboard Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 technology enables a total of up to 40Gbps bandwidth for data and display-signal streams, combined.
    Which mean that the max channel bandwidth is 40Gbps (data+display).
    Thank you

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@ASUS View Post
    Hello Jellyfish
    The Onboard Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 technology enables a total of up to 40Gbps bandwidth for data and display-signal streams, combined.
    Thank you
    Thank you Bill.

I apologize to other members for engaging in an unhelpful way but I just couldn't help it with that guy.

StarJack
    Last edited by StarJack; 08-16-2017 at 01:20 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

That's a copy/paste probably taken from the website. And these themselves are contradictory and can be inaccurate. It's still as clear as mud in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@ASUS View Post
    Hello Jellyfish
    Thank you
    Thank you very much for the confirmation Bill! Even though the answer was 30 days late (probably knew you had to continuously knock on the doors of the Asus engineers to get this confirmation).

However, I have one more request to ask of you.

These specifications on the Asus Global website need to be updated, and it is imperative to do so:
    GL502VM-7th-Gen-Intel-Core
    GL702VM-7th-Gen-Intel-Core

Do you see the problem with the specifications?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snip1.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	66693

Name:	snip2.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	66694

Your customers are paying upwards of $1300 USD for these high-end laptops. XG Station 2 itself is $790 USD. I think all of us deserve clear and unambiguous information regarding the USB 3.1 port for the price we are paying. Having "1 x Type C USB3.1 (GEN2) Thunderbolt" doesn't really justify your techie customers (and we, the techie customers are likely the only group interested in purchasing your high end accessories), does it?

If you do a search on Google about USB 3.1 Gen2 Thunderbolt, you get information displaying these, it's what we consumers can see anyway, but probably not for representatives like you or for Asus engineers working internally inside the department.

Name:	snip3.JPG 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	66695
    Source: http://www.usb.org/developers/ssusb

Name:	snip4.JPG 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	66696
    Source: https://www.msi.com/blog/usb-3-1-gen1-gen2-explained

Confusing, isn't it?
    Bill, I appreciate you for the response since you are still lurking around in this post. One last request I have is that I strongly suggest contacting the corresponding Asus department about making these changes on your website, and please, try not take 30 days for an answer.

Still (somewhat?) an Asus fan.
    Last edited by Jellyfish; 08-17-2017 at 01:42 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

You think that's bad? Look at these two contradictory sites for the G752VT. I pointed this out months ago whilst running round in circles like you trying to find out the true speed of my Thunderbolt 3 port.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-G752VT/

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic...rs/ROG-G752VT/

An Asus representative eventually confirmed that the TB3 port on the G752VT was 40 Gbit/s and the website would be updated. As you can see it hasn't been. So I still have my doubts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

New ROGer Array

GL502VM-FY185T aka GL502VMK

Hello

Good day.

I bought a new laptop last July 22, 2017 here in Dubai. To my surprise, I encountered very concerning events as below:

1. When I used my newly bought laptop, it prompted me to register the unit. So when I tried to register it, an error popped up saying something like "..the serial number is already registered" where in fact I have just tried for the first time to register it. Further, when I browse my newly made asus account, i found out under the "my product menu" that the serial number was already there listed but the model number is FX502VM and the date of purchased is on July 21, 2017. I complained it with the store where I bought it and they advised me to contact the service center here. Accordingly, the service center is telling me that there must be some sort of a server error. And they even said that I might entered the wrong date of which I was sure that the system date of the laptop plus the encoded date during my first time registering attempt is July 22, 2017. So, the service center just told me to visit the center in order to check the laptop and assure me that it is not a refurbished one by just scanning the barcode and checking few of the connected parts like hard disk, etc. and comparing it in the actual laptop. So that time I just accepted it but telling them to resolve the issue why it happened that my serial number was already registered and the wrong model number and date of purchased.

2. After a few weeks, my roommate commented that my touchpad is noisy, especially when tapping it (observed August 11, 2017). I have not observed it since I am using always a headset plus I'm frequently using mouse instead of touchpad. So I brought again to the service center for them to check last August 13, 2017. By August 16, 2017, the service center technician called me and informed that he tried to replace the pad but it is still having clunky noise. He even told me that he tried to replace the keyboard as he suspect it might be the cause of the clunky noise/sound but still the issue persists. So I told him that I will just take back the unit. When I reach the center, he showed me two other laptops of the same model to demonstrate that they have quite similar issue. So they told me that if I want, I can choose from the other two laptops which has a minimal noise. But since that is not my goal, I decline. My point here is that, by today, I went to some other malls to check and found out in JUMBO store a similar model to my laptop and have no clunky sound. I have a video of that however, I don't know how to upload.

In view of the above, I would like to know if somebody has similar issues and how you can help me. I invested on this machine because by specs it is very good. however, because of the above issues, it seems that the service center of ASUS is not even that technical competent to solve the problem even the no. 2 issue which only needs to be solved by actually checking a new touchpad not connected yet in a laptop if it has a clunky sound. Plus they are only showing another laptop of which I don't know if it is a brand new since it is already out of the box when they compared it. My point only here is justice for my money. They will not even want to replace me with new unit since the second complaint is already past 7days from the date of purchase. And for the first issue, they are also hesitant to replace that time. They even said that what if I want replacement, but the same thing happened that the serial number is already registered what will I do.

Any help on the above would be highly appreciated.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm think more and more that the port that GL502VMK has is regular USB-C 3.1 (gen 2) only (10Mbit/s).

Why?

Several clues:

1) There is Thunderbolt config section in BIOS, but Thunderbolt configuration option is grayed out. Security level option is still visible (why?).

Name:	gl502vmk-thunderbolt.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	66764

2) There is download from ASUS side that installs Thunderbolt app and driver, but what it actually does is install only the app, not the drivers (for GL502VMK at least).

3) Looking into Thunderbolt download, it does include the driver for those components (various sys and inf files): Thunderbolt network and Thunderbolt controller driver. Neither of which is installed when app is installed.

4) If you run Thunderbolt app and go to its system menu, then details, it will list app, package and service versions, but section for network and controller driver will be "Unknown".

Name:	gl502vmk-thunderbolt-app.png 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	66765

5) There are no unknown devices Device manager, but there are also no devices called Thunderbolt network and Thunderbolt controller neither.

Name:	gl502vmk-devices.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	66763

What I gather from this info is that Asus BIOS and Thunderbolt software for GL502VMK was created in order to support Thunderbolt, but there is no actually thunderbolt device detected in Windows, thus device is probably not physically present in GL502VMK. Maybe idea was to have several tiers of GL502 model with some having and other don't Thunderbolt. I do not know.

Can anyone with GL502VMK (Kabylake) and GL502VM (Skylake) check on their end each of these things and confirm/disprove what I got?

Same for GL702VMK/GL702VM users.

Even info from GL502VS/GL702VS users would be good to gather.

EDIT:
    I'm using latest 305 BIOS if that matter. But same situation was with 302 BIOS too.
    Last edited by player1_fanatic; 08-20-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast