Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Congratulations!

I hope you have great sessions of gaming and your laptop runs cooler, especially considering your laptop GPU (GTX 1060) will be at idle.
    Do not forget to undervolt your CPU, to reach even better temperatures and get a better gaming experience.

Cheers.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    The ambiguity on this issue is just unnecessary.
    Agreed. It's unnecessarily frustrating. Lol

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by marceloh View Post
    Congratulations!

I hope you have great sessions of gaming and your laptop runs cooler, especially considering your laptop GPU (GTX 1060) will be at idle.
    Do not forget to undervolt your CPU, to reach even better temperatures and get a better gaming experience.

Cheers.
    Thank you for the tips, cheers!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

I look forward to following your eGPU experience if we're lucky enough to have you keep us updated, Jelly.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

I look forward to following your eGPU experience if we're lucky enough to have you keep us updated, Jelly.
    This.

If you are willing to have us along for the ride Jelly, we would love to know how things go.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Me too!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by People in this post

If you are willing to have us along for the ride Jelly, we would love to know how things go.
    I will be working overseas from September and I will not have access to the desktop that I normally use at home. It will be just my laptop and the XG Station 2. Am expecting to utilise the full potential of the GTX 1080 TI.

Any problems, questions, and successes I come across I will take the time to follow up on this post.

Cheers everyone!

ROG Member Array

Longer Cables!

For XG Station 2 owners, the box comes with a really short Active Thunderbolt 3 cable, length approximately 30cm, meaning your XG Station will have to be placed side by side to your laptop.

To avoid the situation of heated winds blasting at me during my gaming sessions (unless it's winter then I don't have to turn on my heater), I have attempted to purchase longer cables. I have selected these for testing:
    [Certified] Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) Cable in Black 6.6 ft / 2m (Thunderbolt 3 device compatible only)
    Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to B Cable in Black 6 Feet
    These cables will allow my XG Station 2 to be placed up to 2 meters from my laptop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170812_225157.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	623.2 KB 
ID:	66597

Name:	P_20170812_225536.jpg 
Size:	664.5 KB 
ID:	66598

Tests and benchmarks:
    Conclusion? It works like a charm!
    XG Station 2 and GTX 1080TI were recognised instantly upon plugging the cables in.

Name:	cap1.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	66591

Name:	cap2.JPG 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	66592

Name:	cap3.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	66593

Furmark Test: (this program is able to detect the GTX 1080TI inside the eGPU, unlike 3DMark which doesn't)

Name:	cap5.JPG 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	66594

Name:	cap6.JPG 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	66595
    Scores well above expectations Looks like the 2M Thunderbolt 3 cable is Active and supports up to 40Gbps transfers.

Have been doing a stress test for 12 hours as of now, and no disconnections have been observed, this is awesome news.

Persisting problems:
    Remember when I mention if I disable the internal GPU (GTX 1060) and leave only the eGPU (GTX 1080TI) to output to my laptop monitor, I am unable to access Nvidia Control Panel.

Name:	cap4.JPG 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	66596

I peered at a forum that has done 3D Mark testing with the XG Station 2, and they mentioned that to get the full functionality of the eGPU, one must connect the GPU to an external display (not feed the visuals back to my laptop monitor like what I am currently doing). Might do a test for that in the future to confirm it.
    Last edited by Jellyfish; 08-12-2017 at 11:58 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    For XG Station 2 owners, the box comes with a really short Active Thunderbolt 3 cable, length approximately 30cm, meaning your XG Station will have to be placed side by side to your laptop..
    Thanks for all this Jelly, it's very much appreciated. ASUS obviously got things right with the VMK even though it can be a bit hot. I was probably too critical in the past with regards to the TB3 issue but I just didn't have the information and could not really find it anywhere. It's nice to know I can squeeze some more life out of the laptop down the road.

Overall, for me, I am very pleased with my GL702VMK. Love it. I have had no issues with it whatsoever other than the well known heat issues but I've learned to deal with that and can keep my rig in the low to mid 70's C in most gaming situations now. I travel with the laptop in a backpack everyday and it's been nothing but a pleasure to use and not one problem since I received it.

Still an ASUS fan,
    StarJack

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

So this could mean the JHL6240 TB3 controllers which are said to be 20Gbps might only be in the skylake models of the GL502VM and GL702VM whereas the kaby lake GL502VMK and GL702VMK actually have the 40 Gbps controllers. Just guessing. This is great news for the VMK owners.

No. I disassembled a gl502vmk, and it too has the x2 JHL6240 controller.

I don't care what one benchmark might tell you.
    JHL6240 IS BOTTLENECKED AT 2x PCIE LANES. You're not squeezing out 40gbps from a 20gbps chip.

I didn't have to disassemble it though, since the v4 TB firmware listed in the TB software only works with the 6240 controller, so that alone tells you the 502vmk has the 2-lane 6240 chip.

Name:	UOnXG48.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	436.2 KB 
ID:	66614

You might get a high score in some tests, but that doesn't change the fact that this controller is the gimped 20gbps version JHL6240 with only 2 pcie lanes.
    some tests won't show the effects much. Especially an openGL furmark test, which might not even use 20gbps bandwidth.
    Most games don't use openGL, so your excitement at a furmark score would be premature.

I'd like to see some apples to apples standard game benchmarks compared between the 1060 and 1080ti/egpu.

This will tell people whether an egpu is even worth purchasing.

Run the GTA V benchmark test and a few other games that have built-in benchmarks.

If you can do that, it would be much more meaningful.

This youtube video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5f1MwfugA
    shows a full 40gbps TB controller with egpu gtx1080 vs internal gtx1060.

A 2-lane GL502/702 should get equal or worse results.
    Last edited by link626; 08-13-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast