Hybrid View

ROG Enthusiast Array

MVIII Formula and random post code 55 and now also 40

For a while now I've had a random issue with my computer hanging on post code 55 (memory) on boot. The Ripjaws Z 3200mhz 32GB (4x8gb) kit I have is on the list and each stick has been tested with memtest in two different computers. I'm not overclocking but have XMP set for the ram. It doesn't always do this and is very random.

Recently it has started to hang on post code 40 (unknown as it isn't in the manual) The most recent time was last night when I shut it down or I should say attempted to.

Not that it matters but running win 10 Pro X64 fully updated and a 6700K. Board and chip are under water.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi scgt1

Try increasing the cpu vccio and cpu system agent voltages to 1.20v - 1.25v.

ROG Member Array Brigman PC Specs
    Brigman PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorCore i7 6700K
    Memory (part number)2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator 3200C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX970 FTW+
    Sound CardSoundBlaster ZxR
    MonitorROG Swift PG279Q, Sony 46W905 HDTV
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 512GB
    Storage #22x 1TB Velociraptor RAID0, 3 x 4TB WD 7200rpm
    CPU CoolerModded CoolerMaster Hyper6
    CaseCustom open frame
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Keytronic KT2000
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Headset/Speakers Altec Lansing ACS52
    OS Win7 Pro x64
    Accessory #1 Modded Logitech G27
    Accessory #2 Contour ShuttlePro

I've experienced this same pair of errors with Corsair Dominator 3200 on a Maximus VIII Hero scgt1, also with a 6700K. As per your situation they occur randomly and unpredictably - and no amount of tweaking in the UEFI has so-far cured it (this tweaking includes raising the SA and VCCIO voltages unfortunately). The memory runs rock stable (and overclocks significantly) once in Windows and doesn't cause any problems on another board.

One workaround I found that brought reliable booting (at the expense of performance) was to drop the RAM speed to 2400MHz. The only fix I have found for this that maintains RAM performance is to downgrade to the 2202 UEFI. I then get 100% reliable booting - with full memory perf - but lose out on disk subsystem performance thanks to the older Intel RAID ROM revision. Not ideal either...

I spent some time comparing and contrasting the subsettings defined automatically by the 2202 and 3401 UEFIs to see if I could find some settings in the former that, if manually set in the latter, would give reliable booting. While I found a couple of minor timing changes, setting these manually in 3401 to the values set automatically in the older UEFI improved, but didn't solve, the POST unreliability. I reported this to ASUS about three months ago but haven't received a reply. Any chance you could try downgrading your UEFI to 2202 and seeing if that solves your problem? If it does I'll send another support request to ASUS .

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brigman View Post
    I've experienced this same pair of errors with Corsair Dominator 3200 on a Maximus VIII Hero scgt1, also with a 6700K. As per your situation they occur randomly and unpredictably - and no amount of tweaking in the UEFI has so-far cured it (this tweaking includes raising the SA and VCCIO voltages unfortunately). The memory runs rock stable (and overclocks significantly) once in Windows and doesn't cause any problems on another board.

One workaround I found that brought reliable booting (at the expense of performance) was to drop the RAM speed to 2400MHz. The only fix I have found for this that maintains RAM performance is to downgrade to the 2202 UEFI. I then get 100% reliable booting - with full memory perf - but lose out on disk subsystem performance thanks to the older Intel RAID ROM revision. Not ideal either...

I spent some time comparing and contrasting the subsettings defined automatically by the 2202 and 3401 UEFIs to see if I could find some settings in the former that, if manually set in the latter, would give reliable booting. While I found a couple of minor timing changes, setting these manually in 3401 to the values set automatically in the older UEFI improved, but didn't solve, the POST unreliability. I reported this to ASUS about three months ago but haven't received a reply. Any chance you could try downgrading your UEFI to 2202 and seeing if that solves your problem? If it does I'll send another support request to ASUS .
    Honestly I haven't been having the problem anymore. Nothing has changed other then yet again going into the bios and making sure it's on XMP profile then saving the bios. I haven't had the boot hang on code 55 or the shutdown hang on 40 (which doesn't even come up in the code listing for this board)

ROG Enthusiast Array nightstrike PC Specs
    nightstrike PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Samsung NP-R580-JSB1US
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3866C18Q-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING
    Graphics Card #2Intel HD 530
    MonitorAsus PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro MZ-V6P512
    Storage #2Western Digital WD6001FZWX
    CPU CoolerPhantek PH-TC12DX
    CaseCM Storm Trooper
    Power SupplySeasonic SSR-850TD
    OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC88U

I have this problem, too, on an M8E, 16G 3866 MHz GSkill TridentZ, 6700K. It's error code 55 if I soft-reboot, I have to cut power, wait a bit, then I can boot normally. Every time.