cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVIII Formula and random post code 55 and now also 40

scgt1
Level 8
For a while now I've had a random issue with my computer hanging on post code 55 (memory) on boot. The Ripjaws Z 3200mhz 32GB (4x8gb) kit I have is on the list and each stick has been tested with memtest in two different computers. I'm not overclocking but have XMP set for the ram. It doesn't always do this and is very random.

Recently it has started to hang on post code 40 (unknown as it isn't in the manual) The most recent time was last night when I shut it down or I should say attempted to.

Not that it matters but running win 10 Pro X64 fully updated and a 6700K. Board and chip are under water.
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi scgt1

Try increasing the cpu vccio and cpu system agent voltages to 1.20v - 1.25v.

Brigman
Level 9
I've experienced this same pair of errors with Corsair Dominator 3200 on a Maximus VIII Hero scgt1, also with a 6700K. As per your situation they occur randomly and unpredictably - and no amount of tweaking in the UEFI has so-far cured it (this tweaking includes raising the SA and VCCIO voltages unfortunately). The memory runs rock stable (and overclocks significantly) once in Windows and doesn't cause any problems on another board.

One workaround I found that brought reliable booting (at the expense of performance) was to drop the RAM speed to 2400MHz. The only fix I have found for this that maintains RAM performance is to downgrade to the 2202 UEFI. I then get 100% reliable booting - with full memory perf - but lose out on disk subsystem performance thanks to the older Intel RAID ROM revision. Not ideal either...

I spent some time comparing and contrasting the subsettings defined automatically by the 2202 and 3401 UEFIs to see if I could find some settings in the former that, if manually set in the latter, would give reliable booting. While I found a couple of minor timing changes, setting these manually in 3401 to the values set automatically in the older UEFI improved, but didn't solve, the POST unreliability. I reported this to ASUS about three months ago but haven't received a reply. Any chance you could try downgrading your UEFI to 2202 and seeing if that solves your problem? If it does I'll send another support request to ASUS .

Brigman wrote:
I've experienced this same pair of errors with Corsair Dominator 3200 on a Maximus VIII Hero scgt1, also with a 6700K. As per your situation they occur randomly and unpredictably - and no amount of tweaking in the UEFI has so-far cured it (this tweaking includes raising the SA and VCCIO voltages unfortunately). The memory runs rock stable (and overclocks significantly) once in Windows and doesn't cause any problems on another board.

One workaround I found that brought reliable booting (at the expense of performance) was to drop the RAM speed to 2400MHz. The only fix I have found for this that maintains RAM performance is to downgrade to the 2202 UEFI. I then get 100% reliable booting - with full memory perf - but lose out on disk subsystem performance thanks to the older Intel RAID ROM revision. Not ideal either...

I spent some time comparing and contrasting the subsettings defined automatically by the 2202 and 3401 UEFIs to see if I could find some settings in the former that, if manually set in the latter, would give reliable booting. While I found a couple of minor timing changes, setting these manually in 3401 to the values set automatically in the older UEFI improved, but didn't solve, the POST unreliability. I reported this to ASUS about three months ago but haven't received a reply. Any chance you could try downgrading your UEFI to 2202 and seeing if that solves your problem? If it does I'll send another support request to ASUS .

Honestly I haven't been having the problem anymore. Nothing has changed other then yet again going into the bios and making sure it's on XMP profile then saving the bios. I haven't had the boot hang on code 55 or the shutdown hang on 40 (which doesn't even come up in the code listing for this board)

nightstrike
Level 7
I have this problem, too, on an M8E, 16G 3866 MHz GSkill TridentZ, 6700K. It's error code 55 if I soft-reboot, I have to cut power, wait a bit, then I can boot normally. Every time.