cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z270G + i7 7700k insane temp jumps

Mallinea
Level 7
Hello there folks!

As some of you probably have heard, there are a lot of people experiencing high temps on their I7-7700k. Even on stock it'll reach 80 degrees.
For those of you who havent heard, take a look here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728
It's already 67 pages long with replies from people experiencing these issues.

However, someone mentioned that there might be a way to get rid of the high temps + the horrible temp spikes. A lot of people have successfully resolved it by manually setting the voltage on the CPU PLL setting in the bios, as the bios auto setting overvoltage it alot. There is just one little problem.. I cant, for the love of god, seem to find this CPU PLL OC voltage setting on my ASUS Z270G mobo anywhere..

Atm Im running at max temp of 81,25 degrees testing AIDA64 for 30 minutes. That is on a watercooler NZXT Kraken X62. The CPU has even been delidded.
Normal usage is around 40-50 degrees.

I find this to be very troubling!

Please help me out! Im pulling my hair on this problem 😕
7 REPLIES 7

I_G_SYME
Level 7
Successive BIOS iterations seem to give a more stable and hopefully accurate set of readings. My 7700K still seems to show insane jumps on various cores for no reason which settle down almost as quickly. Currently sitting at mid 30's on idle with a custom water cooled loop using CPU temp but AI suite always shows different temps. Which one to believe? I don't fret about it too much, just use as a general guide.

Nate152
Have you guys tried setting the cpu core/cache voltage manually to around 1.15v for stock settings?

I delidded my i7-7700k and got good results. Your temps do seem high after delidding.

How are gaming temps? Here is mine at 5.2GHz with 1.440v.

Korth
Level 14
The issue seems to be internal to the Intel processor (or Intel microcode, Intel firmware, Intel whatever). So it won't go away until Intel fixes it.

The Intel discussion seems to focus entirely on processors shipped with Intel stock coolers.

I suspect that better coolers (lol any half-decent huge air or AIO cooler) would still see temp spikes but probably less than the reported 15C~30C. In fact, I doubt that a CPU could heat up +30C in a fraction of a second then cool down 30C in another fraction of a second - it's just not enough time for thermal energy to diffuse through the material bulk of the part. It's either a very trivial problem (the DTS/PECI part placement or circuit implementation or sensitivity or control code is flawed) or it's a very serious problem (uncontrolled voltage spikes instantly heat the entire silicon substrate as they surge with wild and reckless abandon throughout the part ... then somehow dissipate the heat wave into nothing just as instantly) - I'm guessing the former, but the only way to confirm would be to take very accurate measures of thermal energy escaping the processor package.

And I imagine that ASUS could implement software/firmware automation (or user settings) to briefly delay fan response so that momentary temp surges of +30C wouldn't ramp up cooling - if they haven't already. Until then, you might be able to mitigate the problem (and not have your fans surge up and down every time you click an icon) by assigning whatever fan controlling hardware monitor program you run at a lower priority so it doesn't poll the system as quickly and thus doesn't respond to (doesn't even have a chance to notice) millisecond fluctuations. This isn't as bad as it sounds, processors generally take quite a few seconds of sustained overheating before they reach alarm/shutdown/explosion levels, even when aggressively overclocked.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Strange. Maybe something went wrong while applying TIM and relidding. What stuff did you use?

Cant see what should have gone wrong with the TIM. Used Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and ohh boy was it sticky..
Max temps in games at stock settings with SVID turned off is around 75 degrees. Still a bit high if you ask me but better.