ROG Enthusiast Array

GL502VMK Overheating / Throttling

Hi guys, I bought GL502VMK and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 94 jump (Rainbow Six) and throttling / frame drops in games. Recently, a bios update (302) has emerged. But the problem of overheating has not been solved. I noticed that the fan speed is low at high temperatures. I did not make any undervolt or removed the turbo boost, because this pc is made by Asus and Asus is responsible for solving that problem.
    Obviously I do not want to cut holes to get more air and help the cooling system. Otherwise it would mean that Asus does not make good PCs. When I start programming java or c sharp (and many others) , using programs like eclipse or visual study code or visual study 2017, temperatures also reach 77/80. Seeing the pc warming up just by writing is a disappointment. (it's incredible)
    I've read all the posts in this forum about it. (ALL)
    In idle there are peaks of 77 degrees at times, but the temperature seems to be 40/55. I also use a coolermaster cooling pad. Room TEMP : 26
    I contacted the support but they tell me to format the pc or update the bios (LOL). I just wonder if this is solved. Who like me has this problem? Please write below! Let's hear!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

As much as I agree that Asus should fix the problem, if that is what you are waiting for you had best return it (if still an option). Asus has yet to even acknowledge the issue (as far as I'm aware) and I doubt they will do anything to remedy the situation.

If you want it to run cooler, you are going to have to take matters into your own hands.

ASUS HQ Service Rep Array Bill@ASUS's Avatar

Hello Nevortic
    It sounds abnormal with that temperature
    I would suggest to ask for a replacement with your retailer if you can(policy may vary due to country and retailer)
    Or try voltage down your GPU, thank you

ROG Enthusiast Array

Lightbulb The solution

Thank you.
    I am designing a metal perforated bottom cover that will be part of the central heatsink through a thermal pad between the grill and the heatsink. The grill will get more air into the fans and will help to cool the heat better with the thermal pad that I will put in the central part. Additionally, I am preparing the heat sinks to help the various chips close to the cpu and gpu to dissipate their heat. In addition, with a group of friends we are preparing software to apply the undervolt on cpu and gpu together and we are thinking of adding the ability to change the speed of the fans according to the heat. (In theory once installed and configured the program will start when Windows starts)

ROG Member Array

Before doing something that will permanently void your warranty, please see this two threads:
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...tling-solution
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ing-Throttling

Undervolting your CPU, GPU or both can help reducing the heat.
    This is my advice.

Changing the thermal paste on both processors will improve the temperatures marginally, as it is proven that Asus uses very good quality paste.
    I would only recommend applying new paste after two years, ehen the warranty is gone and plenty of gaming hours were made.