cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VMK Overheating / Throttling

Nevortic
Level 8
Hi guys, I bought GL502VMK and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 94 jump (Rainbow Six) and throttling / frame drops in games. Recently, a bios update (302) has emerged. But the problem of overheating has not been solved. I noticed that the fan speed is low at high temperatures. I did not make any undervolt or removed the turbo boost, because this pc is made by Asus and Asus is responsible for solving that problem.
Obviously I do not want to cut holes to get more air and help the cooling system. Otherwise it would mean that Asus does not make good PCs. When I start programming java or c sharp (and many others) , using programs like eclipse or visual study code or visual study 2017, temperatures also reach 77/80. Seeing the pc warming up just by writing is a disappointment. (it's incredible)
I've read all the posts in this forum about it. (ALL)
In idle there are peaks of 77 degrees at times, but the temperature seems to be 40/55. I also use a coolermaster cooling pad. Room TEMP : 26
I contacted the support but they tell me to format the pc or update the bios (LOL). I just wonder if this is solved. Who like me has this problem? Please write below! Let's hear!
5 REPLIES 5

Bran187
Level 9
As much as I agree that Asus should fix the problem, if that is what you are waiting for you had best return it (if still an option). Asus has yet to even acknowledge the issue (as far as I'm aware) and I doubt they will do anything to remedy the situation.

If you want it to run cooler, you are going to have to take matters into your own hands.

Bill
Level 7
Hello Nevortic
It sounds abnormal with that temperature
I would suggest to ask for a replacement with your retailer if you can(policy may vary due to country and retailer)
Or try voltage down your GPU, thank you

Thank you.
I am designing a metal perforated bottom cover that will be part of the central heatsink through a thermal pad between the grill and the heatsink. The grill will get more air into the fans and will help to cool the heat better with the thermal pad that I will put in the central part. Additionally, I am preparing the heat sinks to help the various chips close to the cpu and gpu to dissipate their heat. In addition, with a group of friends we are preparing software to apply the undervolt on cpu and gpu together and we are thinking of adding the ability to change the speed of the fans according to the heat. (In theory once installed and configured the program will start when Windows starts)

Before doing something that will permanently void your warranty, please see this two threads:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92988-GL502VM-GL502VMK-Fan-noise-and-throttling-solution
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

Undervolting your CPU, GPU or both can help reducing the heat.
This is my advice.

Changing the thermal paste on both processors will improve the temperatures marginally, as it is proven that Asus uses very good quality paste.
I would only recommend applying new paste after two years, ehen the warranty is gone and plenty of gaming hours were made.

MikeVonGI
Level 7
Nevortic wrote:
Hi guys, I bought GL502VMK and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 94 jump (Rainbow Six) and throttling / frame drops in games. Recently, a bios update (302) has emerged. But the problem of overheating has not been solved. I noticed that the fan speed is low at high temperatures. I did not make any undervolt or removed the turbo boost, because this pc is made by Asus and Asus is responsible for solving that problem.
Obviously I do not want to cut holes to get more air and help the cooling system. Otherwise it would mean that Asus does not make good PCs. When I start programming java or c sharp (and many others) , using programs like eclipse or visual study code or visual study 2017, temperatures also reach 77/80. Seeing the pc warming up just by writing is a disappointment. (it's incredible)
I've read all the posts in this forum about it. (ALL)
In idle there are peaks of 77 degrees at times, but the temperature seems to be 40/55. I also use a coolermaster cooling pad. Room TEMP : 26
I contacted the support but they tell me to format the pc or update the bios (LOL). I just wonder if this is solved. Who like me has this problem? Please write below! Let's hear!

hi all, i have the Asus GL502VMK and also suffer from thermal throttle.
and since 2017 when i bought this pc i have trying to reach asus for a support and to see what is wrong with it.
now with to many tests i finnaly reach the maine problem.
and beyond the CPU is getting to mutch Voltage (1.175v) the maine problem is the graffic card (GTX1060 6GB).
from factory the laptop grafic card is making 2005mhz, this means that is pulling 1.2v ( overclock voltage)... this makes the laptop starting to overheat since the heatsink of the GPU is the same of the CPU.

i have underclock the grafic card, -400mhz ( set to GTX1060 - 6GB sotck clock 1404mhz-1670mhz ) now i can play with G-Sync on and i can reach 120FPS with max temp of 72ºC.

you can underclock the grafic card with MSI afterburner, but befor do that use rivatunner to see what are the clocks that the GPU is making, under normal load and heavy load.