cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with GPU Tweak 2 presets

MxFragz
Level 7
Hi,

I've been using my GTX 1080 Ti with no issue for months using the "Gaming" preset in GPU Tweak 2.
Actually, not exactly the "Gaming" preset. I created on myself with the same settings, but I tweaked the fan curve for it to be a bit more aggressive as I'm not concerned by the noise.

My problem is that when I try to use the "Overclock" preset, without changing anything (with or without my custom fan curves), games suddenly crash within 10 minutes. Never had the problem with normal preset.

The Overclock preset has +25 on GPU Boost Clock (from 1683 to 1708 MHz) and +90 on the memory clock (from 11010 to 11100 MHz).
While the "GPU Boost Clock" is set at 1708 MHz, my GPU actually goes all the way to 1960~, so I'm assuming the slider that says "GPU Boost Clock" is actually the "Core clock". Otherwise it wouldn't go higher than what I set it to.

I ran multiple GPU stress tests for 15 minutes each + some 3D mark benchmarks. With full load, the GPU reaches a maximum of 70C with both "Gaming" and "Overclock" preset. I do not get any problem during those stress tests. I get the same temperatures in game.

Can anyone help me understand why my games crash even though stress tests are passed so easy ?
Also, since I'm not manually overclocking, but just using a factory preset, isn't it supposed to run perfectly fine unless the GPU gets too hot ?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Link to my settings in GPU Tweak 2 : http://imgur.com/a/ylFIr
11 REPLIES 11

MxFragz
Level 7
Anyone please ?

For tab fans set user define

I posted the screenshot with the Overclock preset, but I used mine which has a curved I defined myself. As I'm not bothered by the noise, fans are around 80% when GPU is at 70C. It never got hotter than this. So I don't think that's an issue.

But thank you for your reply.

Just wondering if you have the OC version, normal version or the Asus FE 1080Ti?

I run my 1080ti Strix OC on my daily profile @ 2012 (which does down clock to 2000Mhz sometimes) with fans at 52% peak (normally around 47%-50%) at 62C peak (Normally 56-60c) in most of the latest games. I've not really bothered to overclock mine to the max yet.

This is my own custom fan curve tho 😃

Air flow is deffo going to matter with this card.

OC presets should work i believe. I have to be honest I cannot remember the OC preset as I'm at work but I can take a look when I get back home to see if something is different. I suspect if you don't have the same card as me then it will be.

-Yoda
Your ass is grass, smoke it I will!

Lightbringer
Level 7
MxFragz wrote:
Hi,

I've been using my GTX 1080 Ti with no issue for months using the "Gaming" preset in GPU Tweak 2.
Actually, not exactly the "Gaming" preset. I created on myself with the same settings, but I tweaked the fan curve for it to be a bit more aggressive as I'm not concerned by the noise.

My problem is that when I try to use the "Overclock" preset, without changing anything (with or without my custom fan curves), games suddenly crash within 10 minutes. Never had the problem with normal preset.

The Overclock preset has +25 on GPU Boost Clock (from 1683 to 1708 MHz) and +90 on the memory clock (from 11010 to 11100 MHz).
While the "GPU Boost Clock" is set at 1708 MHz, my GPU actually goes all the way to 1960~, so I'm assuming the slider that says "GPU Boost Clock" is actually the "Core clock". Otherwise it wouldn't go higher than what I set it to.

I ran multiple GPU stress tests for 15 minutes each + some 3D mark benchmarks. With full load, the GPU reaches a maximum of 70C with both "Gaming" and "Overclock" preset. I do not get any problem during those stress tests. I get the same temperatures in game.

Can anyone help me understand why my games crash even though stress tests are passed so easy ?
Also, since I'm not manually overclocking, but just using a factory preset, isn't it supposed to run perfectly fine unless the GPU gets too hot ?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Link to my settings in GPU Tweak 2 : http://imgur.com/a/ylFIr

i have the Asus Strix gtx 1080ti OC myself and i have the exact same problem.
Gaming mode works like a charm, but as soon as OC mode is selected, the card is causing random crashes in games like PUBG, Battlefield 1 and even Diablo 3 (wich just cannot be so demanding)
I have reproduced the crashes just once during Time Spy stress test, but only once.
The crashes are random, from "only" reverting to desktop up until a full system freeze.

I do not use GPU tweak, but i copied the OC mode settings from GPU tweak and didi the exact same overclock using Afterburner. Furthermore i set my own fancurve, with wich the card never touches 70c degrees, even under heaps of load.

Can it be a problem with the Asus card itself? Thinking the VRAM cannot handle the +90 mhz?

Same presets as yours MXFragz.

Played in OC mode on BF1, no crash so far.

Temps hit 65c Peak and stayed around that tbh. Clock went down to 1949Mhz tho eek. Fan profile was not altered (fan speed 32 %)

Not played PUBG. Gotta head out to a friends place. Maybe later!

-Yoda
Your ass is grass, smoke it I will!

Lightbringer wrote:
i have the Asus Strix gtx 1080ti OC myself and i have the exact same problem.
Gaming mode works like a charm, but as soon as OC mode is selected, the card is causing random crashes in games like PUBG, Battlefield 1 and even Diablo 3 (wich just cannot be so demanding)
I have reproduced the crashes just once during Time Spy stress test, but only once.
The crashes are random, from "only" reverting to desktop up until a full system freeze.

I do not use GPU tweak, but i copied the OC mode settings from GPU tweak and didi the exact same overclock using Afterburner. Furthermore i set my own fancurve, with wich the card never touches 70c degrees, even under heaps of load.

Can it be a problem with the Asus card itself? Thinking the VRAM cannot handle the +90 mhz?

Perhaps the profile OCs the GPU too far. See what the core clock boosts to. Then manually decrease it until you find a stable frequency and save it as a manual profile.

I really don't get it.
Any slight overclock makes the games crash. But not the stress tests.

I did try the same settings on MSI Afterburner as well, thinking it could be a software issue. But I had the same results.

I tried to increase voltage, with the pre defined overclock settings. Same thing happens, even though the GPU is not over heating at all.

I mean, isn't heat the only problem when it comes to overclock ?
You increase core speed as much as you can. When it crashes, you increase voltage until it doesn't anymore. Repeat. At some point you can't increase voltage anymore because temperature issues ?
Isn't it how it's supposed to work ?

I would understand that my personal overclocks are not stable. But the overclock preset that comes from factory ? I mean, why wouldn't that work when I have no temperature issue whatsoever ? And again, 30 minutes full load stress tests are passed just fine.

Thank you all for you answers.
Any Asus staff that could assist me and the users having this issue ?

MxFragz wrote:
I really don't get it.
Any slight overclock makes the games crash. But not the stress tests.

I did try the same settings on MSI Afterburner as well, thinking it could be a software issue. But I had the same results.

I tried to increase voltage, with the pre defined overclock settings. Same thing happens, even though the GPU is not over heating at all.

I mean, isn't heat the only problem when it comes to overclock ?
You increase core speed as much as you can. When it crashes, you increase voltage until it doesn't anymore. Repeat. At some point you can't increase voltage anymore because temperature issues ?
Isn't it how it's supposed to work ?

I would understand that my personal overclocks are not stable. But the overclock preset that comes from factory ? I mean, why wouldn't that work when I have no temperature issue whatsoever ? And again, 30 minutes full load stress tests are passed just fine.

Thank you all for you answers.
Any Asus staff that could assist me and the users having this issue ?

This is why i think it is a VRAM issue. try keeping the GPU clock on OC, but don't OC the VRAM.
Does it still crash?