cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Request] Vega Poseidon

Speaker1264
Level 7
Don't know where to post this. It will probably be ignored anyway, but I would very much be interested in a Poseidon version of Vega. Unfortunately, the 1080 Ti Poseidon has 2 major drawbacks. For one it is too long, at 298mm. The reference 1080 Ti is only 267mm. I don't see why the Poseidon has to be so much longer. It's supposedly made for liquid cooled systems, but won't fit in many cases if you are using a front-mounted radiator, or interferes with the mounting of a reservoir. Seems like bad design in my opinion. My second gripe is only 2 display ports. What about the people who use 3 monitors? Also seems like bad design. If these two things were fixed for the Vega Poseidon then I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Hopefully someone can send this feedback to the engineers. Like I said, it probably won't matter, but I figured it was worth a shot.
12 REPLIES 12

Eleiyas
Level 10
It's a nice idea - there probably will be something for the Vega when it rolls around

Bahz
Level 12
Speaker1264 wrote:
Don't know where to post this. It will probably be ignored anyway, but I would very much be interested in a Poseidon version of Vega. Unfortunately, the 1080 Ti Poseidon has 2 major drawbacks. For one it is too long, at 298mm. The reference 1080 Ti is only 267mm. I don't see why the Poseidon has to be so much longer. It's supposedly made for liquid cooled systems, but won't fit in many cases if you are using a front-mounted radiator, or interferes with the mounting of a reservoir. Seems like bad design in my opinion. My second gripe is only 2 display ports. What about the people who use 3 monitors? Also seems like bad design. If these two things were fixed for the Vega Poseidon then I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Hopefully someone can send this feedback to the engineers. Like I said, it probably won't matter, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I thought this was a new thing when you put [Request]. We appreciate your feedback, we do like to hear what our customers are interested in. Normally these kind of suggestions don't materialize into something unless of course what you suggested was already in the plans. Since plans for models with Vega products are likely finalized with all manufacturers, the chance of a new model being offered that was not originally in the plans is usually very low.

Have my fingers crossed for you, hopefully something similar will come out.

Almost forgot about your other questions. The reason for the length of the GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon is likely due to keeping similar PCB design of another similar model. Redesigning the PCB completely and creating a shortened version is not an easy feat and likely could have been tried but likely there were problems, otherwise it is logical that most people want much shorter version cards for a completely liquid cooled build. Regarding the number of ports, this is based on each person's requirement, they likely did their research on this and decided that 2 was sufficient.

I appreciate the replies guys, thanks.

Korth
Level 14
So the ROG Strix Vega would basically be a red version of this bad boy?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105073

And the ROG Poseidon Vega would basically be a red version of this badder boy?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105074&cm_re=vega-_-14-105-074-_-Product

(I like both, btw, but the new AMD GPU toy that really interests me the most is SSG.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Zatarot
Level 7
My wallet would welcome a Vega Poseidon with open arms. If cards have already been finalized can we get any sort of confirmation that such a card is in the works? I'd rather not deal with the hassle of buying a Vega and finding a compatible block only to have what I actually wanted released a sort time afterwards.

I dont think we will see a vega poseidon. Poseidon seems to be a nvidia only sollution which possible includes some evil contracts.
And since there is a ref watercooling version it could be that Amd don't want it to exist too.

In the end it could even be this reason: market share of vega 64 isnt expexted to be so high in the gaming part. So the amount of people like us who want this poseidon is to low for asus to even think about for more than a minute between 2 coffee.

Korth
Level 14
Vega-based cards have already been (sort of) available through (some) enterprise channels for months.
Consumer Vega cards are already out. AMD, MSI, Gigabyte, PowerColor, Sapphire, XFX. (And wtf, all of these - except AMD itself - apparently use identical coolers/shrouds made by the same manufacturer or made to conform to the same cosmetic specs? None of the usual brand variations in colour, theme, and style?)

ASUS conspicuously lacks any Vega offerings. They're usually among the first OEMs to launch reference (then non-reference) GPU products, AMD and NVIDIA alike. But they just didn't get onboard this time around. I suspect a lack of ASUS Vega now indicates a lack of ASUS Vega forever.

Vega-based RX56, RX64, and RX64 Liquid have benchmarked rather unfavourably vs top-end NVIDIA consumer cards. And they're dismally blown away by NVIDIA workstation cards. If AMD doesn't give us something better (like that SSG card!) then they'll just continue to languish far behind the GPU race. It's pretty sad when you can get more raw GPU performance *and* more GPU bang for the buck while paying NVIDIA's utterly ridiculous prices, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Vega-based cards have already been (sort of) available through (some) enterprise channels for months.
Consumer Vega cards are already out. AMD, MSI, Gigabyte, PowerColor, Sapphire, XFX. (And wtf, all of these - except AMD itself - apparently use identical coolers/shrouds made by the same manufacturer or made to conform to the same cosmetic specs? None of the usual brand variations in colour, theme, and style?)

ASUS conspicuously lacks any Vega offerings. They're usually among the first OEMs to launch reference (then non-reference) GPU products, AMD and NVIDIA alike. But they just didn't get onboard this time around. I suspect a lack of ASUS Vega now indicates a lack of ASUS Vega forever.

Vega-based RX56, RX64, and RX64 Liquid have benchmarked rather unfavourably vs top-end NVIDIA consumer cards. And they're dismally blown away by NVIDIA workstation cards. If AMD doesn't give us something better (like that SSG card!) then they'll just continue to languish far behind the GPU race. It's pretty sad when you can get more raw GPU performance *and* more GPU bang for the buck while paying NVIDIA's utterly ridiculous prices, lol.

vega64 is available even for the 500$/€ price if you search. In Germany mindfactory is throwing 50-100 every week (including the gamepack).
Asus will release thei vega64 rog strix possible in october, since the gamepacks will end on 30.september. so the reference will drop back to 500 officially and they can replace the more expensive spot. And there were some minor BIOS problems in their Strix versions send to reviewers.

AMD has its eyes on their 7nm release end 2018 - mid 2019.
With this they hope for better Performance/watt ratio. possible we will see the new module system in GPU markets then in 2019 like they are doing with their ryzen CPUs.

Korth
Level 14
Releasing products in late 2018 doesn't make money in late 2017, lol. I was surprised by AMD's comeback with Ryzen over the last year but I can't say I think they know what they're doing with Vega (or Navi, or the other half dozen new GPU technologies they've announced). Unless they're a new player in the old game (mastered by Apple, Intel, and others) of teasing their market just barely enough to let the customers hype and advertise (and prepare to buy) the products years before real scheduled product release. Maybe AMD's reasserted presence will jumpstart competition back to the pattern of "the good old days" when AMD's two-front war vs NVIDIA and Intel prompted new generations of products every year, so I expect long-term roadmaps/schedules could be bumped forward or backward often to adapt to perceived opportunities.

(More competition, more innovation, more products, lower prices, yay! But also rushed products, buggy products, cheap products, limited supplies, limited lifetime/support, flawed hardware/firmware, boo! And, oddly, I think the real driving force isn't really going to be whatever kind of next-gen hardware the competition is currently trying to rush out the door - I think it will be based on the software, the games, how quickly and how well the coders and devs can actually make use of all the powerful wonderful new tech toys - because fewer people will buy $3500 hardware if can't actually run their chosen software/games better than $1200 hardware.)

AMD just released Vega, such as it is. Refinements and improved yields usually produce "refresh" versions to occupy the top-tier slots, we can hope that early Vega is somehow being "held back" so that late Vega can dramatically scale performances upward ... but I'm not really holding my breath on this.

If AMD had any real brains, they'd construct their own GPU-based Etherium-like cryptocurrency. And offer discounts on AMD products paid for in that currency, lol.

[/Korth]