cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix X370 F Gaming Overclocking Bugs

Akhlut
Level 7
I'd like to share some bugs I've found with this motherboard and hopefully they can be fixed.

M.2 Slot stops detecting any drive when overclocking Base Clock (APU Frequency)
If the APU Frequency is overclocked to a value over 101Mhz, you will not be able to utilize a M.2 drive.

CPU ratio locking at 15.5
When using the default APU Frequency of 100 (never tried with other values) and use a ratio higher than 38 (haven't tried lower values), when loading into your system the CPU ratio will show as 15.5 in any asus monitoring software (1.55Ghz), Windows Task Manager will show the correct speed expected from the ratio set in the BIOS, but benchmarking proves the CPU ratio has gone down to the value of 15.5

Motherboard supplying more or less CPU voltage when using an offset depending on the CPU ratio
I had to compensate for this. In my system I'm using a APU Frequency of 125Mhz, Performance Core Boost disabled, C States enabled, a CPU Load Line Calibration of Level 3, Optimized CPU Power Phase Control & 100% CPU Current Capability.
Depending on the CPU ratio I set I will get voltage readings that are way over or way less than the max CPU voltage set. For example with a CPU ratio of over 30 and a CPU Voltage of 1.3875V, I get a voltage reading of 1.426V on idle and a voltage of 1.442V on full load. With a CPU ratio of 28 and a CPU Voltage of 1.3875, I get a voltage reading of 1.345V and a voltage of 1.365 on full load.
28 REPLIES 28

marblesrx7
Level 7
Might wanna check out my thread, seen similar behavior. File a bug report for the 15.5 multiplier lock. @ASUS will work it out it just might take time. Welcome to the forums!!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94301-Ryzen-1600X-Owners-Overclocking-(The-2-2Ghz-Problem)

marblesrx7 wrote:
Might wanna check out my thread, seen similar behavior. File a bug report for the 15.5 multiplier lock. @ASUS will work it out it just might take time. Welcome to the forums!!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94301-Ryzen-1600X-Owners-Overclocking-(The-2-2Ghz-Problem)

Where do I file bug reports for this motherboard model? Thanks.

Akhlut wrote:
Where do I file bug reports for this motherboard model? Thanks.

In the bios release sticky at the top of the discussion page.

syldon wrote:
In the bios release sticky at the top of the discussion page.

Isn't that only for C6H motherboards?

Raja
Level 13
Akhlut wrote:
I'd like to share some bugs I've found with this motherboard and hopefully they can be fixed.

M.2 Slot stops detecting any drive when overclocking Base Clock (APU Frequency)
If the APU Frequency is overclocked to a value over 101Mhz, you will not be able to utilize a M.2 drive.

Not a bug. You're overclocking the PCIe bus and the drive doesnt like it. Many high-perf M.2 drives don't like operating beyond base PCIe freq.

Akhlut wrote:

CPU ratio locking at 15.5
When using the default APU Frequency of 100 (never tried with other values) and use a ratio higher than 38 (haven't tried lower values), when loading into your system the CPU ratio will show as 15.5 in any asus monitoring software (1.55Ghz), Windows Task Manager will show the correct speed expected from the ratio set in the BIOS, but benchmarking proves the CPU ratio has gone down to the value of 15.5

This has been patched for the C6H. It's a matter of time before it gets patched for other boards.

Akhlut wrote:

Motherboard supplying more or less CPU voltage when using an offset depending on the CPU ratio
I had to compensate for this. In my system I'm using a APU Frequency of 125Mhz, Performance Core Boost disabled, C States enabled, a CPU Load Line Calibration of Level 3, Optimized CPU Power Phase Control & 100% CPU Current Capability.
Depending on the CPU ratio I set I will get voltage readings that are way over or way less than the max CPU voltage set. For example with a CPU ratio of over 30 and a CPU Voltage of 1.3875V, I get a voltage reading of 1.426V on idle and a voltage of 1.442V on full load. With a CPU ratio of 28 and a CPU Voltage of 1.3875, I get a voltage reading of 1.345V and a voltage of 1.365 on full load.

With offset modes, the base voltage changes according to the ratio (thats how offset VID stacks are set up). This is normal.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Not a bug. You're overclocking the PCIe bus and the drive doesnt like it. Many high-perf M.2 drives don't like operating beyond base PCIe freq.

This has been patched for the C6H. It's a matter of time before it gets patched for other boards.

With offset modes, the base voltage changes according to the ratio (thats how offset VID stacks are set up). This is normal.

-Raja

So it depends on the M.2 drive?

The update just got released to fix the locked ratio.

I noticed the CPU voltage behaves differently depending on many configurations, I need to compensate and use the DIGI+ VRM settings accordingly to get consistent voltages, but the higher the ratio, the harder it is to keep a consistent voltage where it doesn't drop during full load, using Level 5 isn't great because sometimes it will go +.066V more than desired.

Thank you for clarifying.

Akhlut wrote:

Drive and platform, but for the most part, PCIe drives don't have much margin past default PCIe frequency.

Akhlut wrote:
I noticed the CPU voltage behaves differently depending on many configurations, I need to compensate and use the DIGI+ VRM settings accordingly to get consistent voltages, but the higher the ratio, the harder it is to keep a consistent voltage where it doesn't drop during full load, using Level 5 isn't great because sometimes it will go +.066V more than desired.

Thank you for clarifying.

No problem. As I said, the base VID will change, so you've got to compensate - typically one would compensate by adjusting VID. Compensating via LLC is not advised, as what you're seeing reported is only a crude representation of what's actually happening (one needs an oscilloscope to see it). On these boards LLC 1 or 2 are best.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
No problem. As I said, the base VID will change, so you've got to compensate - typically one would compensate by adjusting VID. Compensating via LLC is not advised, as what you're seeing reported is only a crude representation of what's actually happening (one needs an oscilloscope to see it). On these boards LLC 1 or 2 are best.

The locked CPU ratio at 15.5 continues! This time it's caused by the CPU voltage. Everything was working fine util I decided to go over my current overclock of CPU ratio of 38 (with base clock of 100Mhz) and a voltage of 1.3875V (using offset not fixed), if the voltage is over 1.42V (maybe even over 1.41V) the CPU ratio locks down again, so I can't try higher overclocks.

Hello,

I have tested the new bios release 0809, and still have this issue. if I change the multiplier, cpu locks at 2.2.