cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Certs

Mesphita
Level 7
I am looking to use a 3rd party SSL cert on the router (GT-AC5300). I see it has the capability to use certs, though I am not sure about 3rd party ones. I did find some articles for using self signed ones, but that was not my goal. I already have a cert with a few more years on it, and was hoping to use that instead. It does need a CSR generated, and the only time I have done this is in the application itself, which I don't see an option for in ASUS AiCloud.

I was not able to find any info directly from ASUS, and the chat support was beyond terrible.

Anyone know if this is possible? Appreciate any input that can be offered!
3 REPLIES 3

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Mesphita,

It will be possible with a firmware update later this year 🙂

This thread looks like what I am having trouble with. If not please advise and I will create a new thread.

GT-AC5300 with the latest released firmware installed as of 11/22/2017. Missing an option for HTTPS/SSL Certificate, specifically I am looking for the Let's Encrypt feature talked about in this faq page: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294. Not seeing it. When I first read this thread it did say something about 3rd party certs coming later on this year in a firmware update. Does this further extend to all certs or am I missing something? Is Let's Encrypt a 3rd party? I am using the asuscomm.com domain for my wan connection so I didn't think that would be 3rd party but I might be in over my head since web certs and webpages aren't normally my thing. I am trying to clean up the privacy warning messages in my browser when logging into the router via SSL and so far until I get that encrypted sight cert I am not able to fix that problem. I opened up a Service Call to Asus Support before coming over here and noticing this thread. Support No. N1711110965

ShivaNaidu
Level 7

< Note: If I made any mistake please make me correct.>

Unfortunately, the ASUS GT-AC5300 router does not provide a direct interface for generating Certificate Signing Requests (CSRs) or importing third-party SSL certificates.  The router typically supports self-signed certificates for its own services. To use your existing third-party SSL certificate, you might need to consider placing a dedicated device, like a web server or a reverse proxy, in front of the router that handles SSL termination and forwards traffic to the router. This way, you can use your SSL certificate on the dedicated device while still utilizing the ASUS router for routing and other functionalities.

To know more about SSL Certificate check the "Cheap SSL Shop's Blog".