cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get new vegas or Fall Out3 to run successfully with maximus 9 formula MB

Pillsrgood2
Level 7
Hello, I am new to this. Just built my first system, and I am having extreme difficulties to get fallout 3 and new vegas to run without crashing, anyone using the maximus IX Formula motherboard, I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you have to make it happen? I am running windows 10, I have narrowed it down to the motherboard and I am guessing that it something to do with some specific driver that is causing the issue, although I couldn't begin to say as to which one? My system is otherwise running perfectly stable for everything else just those titles. I have even tried 6 different video drivers with clean installs current and past with zero change. I know it works, because my previous motherboard ran it just fine, with the same hardware and uefi install.
9 REPLIES 9

Korth
Level 14
You've narrowed game crashes down to motherboard fault/incompatibility by guessing it's a driver issue?

Is it a clean Win10 install?
Have you changed any BIOS settings?
Have you overclocked anything?

You say your "system is otherwise running perfectly stable for everything else" ... have you run any benchmarks or stress/burn-in tests?

I'm guessing you have an unstable overclock or misconfigured memory clock. You could have bad hardware, but that's far less likely than misconfigured hardware (or software).

Please list GPU brand/model, PSU brand/model, and exact memory part/model in your system specs. Describe your cooling for chassis, CPU, and GPU card(s). Need this sort of info to properly troubleshoot your games, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Eleiyas
Level 10
I wouldn't say it is the board that is causing the issues, especially if it's drivers;

I agree with Korth saying some of your settings might be what's causing your issues.

Alright, that is some fair questions, that is fresh install, I had also tried a fresh install with and without .net framework 2and 3 with no change, absolutely zero overclocking is involved, and no game mods, only using basic parameters. I have updated bios to 901, and have done some driver updates, and utility updates, as to which I was crashing before driver updates and utility updates, I don't remember what revs they are, and I'm not exactly sure where to find that info.
I am running zotac gtx 1080 which is air cooled, using the i7-7700k with trident z 360017Q-32gtz, and a samsung 960 pro 512g with liquid cooling for chipset and motherboard.
I haven't noticed any wild heat fluctations. I also am not certain what stress programs would be best? I get the same results with matching specs for ram config or base 2133. Thanks for some more intel.

All that I can do is pose a challenge to some asus techs and see if they can get it to run without crashing? I could certainly be wrong about my presumption, however I do believe that this motherboard may be lacking some unique script, as for which drivers is beyond me? It is well known that bathesda games have some bugs. It would be nice to be able to play through them again. Any help would be appreciated, on a side note I did run a stress program that resulted in no errors and passed without a problem...

Alright, I take that as a no?

Korth
Level 14
I doubt anyone will accept the "challenge" unless you can provide specific information or compelling proof that this game won't run on this mobo. I see people running Fallout 3 (and 4) successfully on M9F, on i7-7700K, on GTX 1080, on Win10 ... it seems that none of your hardware is incompatible so your configuration must be.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

You may be correct on that korth, all I am looking for is any potential new leads or direction to be looking in, as this is completely frustrating.

First off, I would like to thank asus's developers for the latest bios update (1006) I believe for the Maximus 9 formula board. I am unclear if you were actually paying attention to forum posts, or you just happen to stumble across some valuable code changes? Either way it was a great improvement!

Now, this is my current situation. I can finally get fallout 3, and new vegas to a playable state, however, there is still some occasional crashing during game play, and game exiting lockouts that require a reboot to get out of the dead black screen. So, if anyone is paying attention to this particular post, I am quite grateful that you might be helping in some sort of fashion. Now to mention that these titles were previously crashing before you could even initialize a game at all. so you couldn't even attempt to start a game.

I am not stating that the overall system performance is at issue here, it is just these particular titles that are causing issues. Also, I would like to add for informational data notes, that I am running games in a base config, no mods, and an interesting thing to note, when I try using some bethesda patches or recommended fixes, the game can behave even worse. same thing with crash mods. Thank you again for your work..

no, i do not get it.