Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Hi :-)

I had a masterkeys keyboard and a SanDisk USB stick plugged in at the time. Evo 960 and an optane stick in the m.2 slots, gtx 1080, and 32Gb gskill trident z rgb 3600, that's everything.

I was using 0209, I hadn't updated it from factory yet.

The memory was set to the XMP timings. Nothing overclocked yet.

I haven't tried flashback yet, as I didn't want the supplier to claim I killed the board by doing that. I have an RMA for 'no post' with the supplier in case I can't get it working. Do you think flashback is likely to help?

Thanks for your help with this :-)

M.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by Marryad View Post
    Activating XMP is overclocking the memory. Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock default.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Hi :-)

I had a masterkeys keyboard and a SanDisk USB stick plugged in at the time. Evo 960 and an optane stick in the m.2 slots, gtx 1080, and 32Gb gskill trident z rgb 3600, that's everything.

I was using 0209, I hadn't updated it from factory yet.

I haven't tried flashback yet, as I didn't want the supplier to claim I killed the board by doing that. I have an RMA for 'no post' with the supplier in case I can't get it working. Do you think flashback is likely to help?

Thanks for your help with this :-)

M.
    As you've already tried clearing Cmos, I'd try flashback. Once the process is complete, remove all attached drives and devices, then see if the board will post.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Activating XMP is overclocking the memory. Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock default.
    Fair point.

I've cleared the cmos, pulled the battery, still just 4f. I tried removing everything to make the bios notice a change, but when I put even one stick back (into slot C1), 4f again.

It seems pretty dead to me, I'm not sure what to make of it. My main worry is trying to avoid it happening again with a replacement board, if I can't figure out what did it, it might happen again.

Thanks for the help :-)

Fair point.

I've cleared the cmos, pulled the battery, still just 4f. I tried removing everything to make the bios notice a change, but when I put even one stick back (into slot C1), 4f again.

It seems pretty dead to me, I'm not sure what to make of it. My main worry is trying to avoid it happening again with a replacement board, if I can't figure out what did it, it might happen again.

Try USB BIOS flashback and unplugging the drives/peripherals before you return the board, please.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Fair point.

Try removing everything from your case and use the motherboard cardboard box as a testbench. Reseat your CPU and take the opportunity to examine the socket for any bent pins. When installing your heatsink, make sure you don't overtighten the screws.

New ROGer Array

I have identical issue as TheDexter and Marryad. Almost identical specs as TheDexter.

New board, install windows 10, OS reset, 4F Q Code. No video, no way to get into BIOS. Tried to reflash BIOS. Removed battery. Tried 1 stick of RAM. Still only get 4F. ASUS Tech support told me to get a replacement from vendor, which I did, however I am afraid I will run into the same issue with the replacement after seeing identical cases here.

Asus Strix X299-E Gaming 0402 BIOS
    i9-7900X
    4x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 RAM
    Asus Strix 1080Ti
    2x 512GB M.2 Samsung 950 Pro
    Corsair 860i PSU
    Corsair H100i v2
    Corsair 570X

Wanted to post my issue as well as this doesn't seem to be an isolated issue.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Try USB BIOS flashback and unplugging the drives/peripherals before you return the board, please.
    Tech support had me do BIOS flashback. It did not work. The USB port was not able to read the BIOS.

Raja, if you want to look up my case to see all that I did for tech support, it is Asus Case # N1707114430.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecks View Post
    Tech support had me do BIOS flashback. It did not work. The USB port was not able to read the BIOS.

Raja, if you want to look up my case to see all that I did for tech support, it is Asus Case # N1707114430.

Did you go by the port shown in the manual or the one shown on the rear I/O panel? The one shown in the manual is not correct. The manual is being updated, but the first batch of boards were shipped with the early revision. I don't work in service so don't have access to the records. If you drop me a PM, I'll send you a UEFI build to try.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Did you go by the port shown in the manual or the one shown on the rear I/O panel? The one shown in the manual is not correct. The manual is being updated, but the first batch of boards were shipped with the early revision. I don't work in service so don't have access to the records. If you drop me a PM, I'll send you a UEFI build to try.
    Actually tried both because the backplate and manual were inconsistent LOL. But I understood the one directly below the button was the correct USB port. Neither worked. I should be receiving a new board tomorrow. I will keep it simple and install CPU, RAM, GPU, and M.2 and see how far I get. I will post here on the forums the BIOS rev and results. I'll PM you for the UEFI build.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast