cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fans always 1000 RPM at idle

cfran
Level 7
Hi. I've bought a Asus Dual GTX 1060 OC 6GB a week ago and my issue is that the fans is always running at 1000 rpm at idle. I've read about a 0db function but I can't find it anywhere. This is a screenshot of my Asus GPU Tweak II:

I must say it's my first experience with a PC GTX build. Any tip is welcome. Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Unfortunately, the Asus Dual GTX 1060 OC 6GB doesn't have the 0db function.

This is from Dual gtx1060 support page

cfran wrote:
This is from Dual gtx1060 support page

have you then flashed that thing into your card?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
have you then flashed that thing into your card?

Yes, i downloaded it and when i run the dual1060updatebios file I got this message: "Your graphic card no need to update VBIOS!". I guess my VBIOS is updated then. Where I find the 0db function? or Is there another way to flash the bios properly?

cfran wrote:
Where I find the 0db function?

it should self activate below certain temp.

what about your power settings? is it setup on balanced mode?
and did you clean uninstall your previous nvidia drivers? failure in doing so might cause things to act funny.

or Is there another way to flash the bios properly?

i wouldn't recommend this under normal circumstances, but techpowerup has this tool called NVFlash.

detailed guide, clicky here.

i can show you the means, but updating vbios manually has its own risks. don't blame me if your card bricks. do this as last resort.

or wait for someone who owns the same card as you do to tell you what's wrong.

haihane wrote:
it should self activate below certain temp.

what about your power settings? is it setup on balanced mode?
and did you clean uninstall your previous nvidia drivers? failure in doing so might cause things to act funny.

i wouldn't recommend this under normal circumstances, but techpowerup has this tool called NVFlash.

detailed guide, clicky here.

i can show you the means, but updating vbios manually has its own risks. don't blame me if your card bricks. do this as last resort.

or wait for someone who owns the same card as you do to tell you what's wrong.

As you can see on my first screenshot It's setup on gaming mode, I guess that's the balanced mode. I didnt need update my drivers because I installed the latest drivers. I will try deleting my drivers and install again.

Since this is my first experience with a GTX build I dont want do workarounds those could brick my card. I will wait the Asus reply on the support mail I sent them or until someone with the same problem has found a solution. Thanks for your time!

haihane wrote:
actually! now that i think about it, before you do the ones above; (i have a hunch, and i trust my hunch)

i'd hope that you can clean uninstall the graphics driver, AND that ASUS gputweak II too.
use Display Driver Uninstaller.
use the reboot to mode option.
finish the uninstall and restart.
you're back to clean-ish Windows.
get your 1060 Drivers straight from Nvidia. as of today, the current drivers is:
GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Version: 384.94 WHQL
Release Date: 2017.7.24
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 432.05 MB <-

^ get that one.

Install it.
then restart (might as well do it properly, right?)
back to windows. use this thing called GPUz to make sure whether your fans spin or no spin.

i have my suspicion towards ASUS GPU tweak II, but i will swear by GPUz's accuracy.
edit: and run absolutely no graphic demanding games. you want to see whether 0db works, don't put any load to the graphics card.

Ok, man. i will try that and then I will report my results. Thanks!

haihane
Level 13
actually! now that i think about it, before you do the ones above; (i have a hunch, and i trust my hunch)

i'd hope that you can clean uninstall the graphics driver, AND that ASUS gputweak II too.
get your 1060 Drivers straight from Nvidia. as of today, the current drivers is:

^ get that one.

Install it.
back to windows. use this thing called GPUz to make sure whether your fans spin or no spin.

i have my suspicion towards ASUS GPU tweak II, but i will swear by GPUz's accuracy.
edit: and run absolutely no graphic demanding games. you want to see whether 0db works, don't put any load to the graphics card.

haihane wrote:

^ get that one.

Install it.

I reinstall the drivers using DDU for uninstall but I still cant find the 0db function. Well, I will return the product. Thanks for your help anyway.

haihane
Level 13
As you can see on my first screenshot It's setup on gaming mode,

oh dear! i didn't notice that.
press that owl! (silent mode)
and expand the left graph, the GPU clock.