cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7700K, Maximus IX, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 4000MHz KIT + XMP Mode

X_Man
Level 7
Guys I need your help. I purchased the F4-4000C18Q-32GTZKW version but was not able to run at XMP rated speed of 40000MHz on the Hero IX & 7700K processor. Each stick only maxed out at 3200MHz manually during my testing after updating the BIOS and clearing the CMOS.

Would it be safe to stay I have a bad batch of RAM sticks and replaced them would resolve the issue , or could there be another possible issue with the board/processor or anything else?
17 REPLIES 17

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Have you tried tuning the SA and VCCIO voltages? DDR4 4000 would definately require some manual tuning. 🙂

Thanks for your response Chino!
Do you mean that any speed higher than 3200MHz would require this adjustment to the SA and VCCIO or just to reach 4000MHz? It didn't boot at 3600MHz.
[edit]
I found the Kaby Lake OC Guide. I upped the settings accordingly but no dice, can't even boot at 3600MHz. I found another post were swapping the processor solved the issue - I will try that and report back.

OK - with the new processor, I booted to 3600MHz with VCCIO and SA of 1.15. Since my initial processor could not, I can assume that the processor was the issue. I will use the OC Guide to see if I can get to 4000MHz. I could not boot with the XMP profile, not sure why - is this normal that the XMP profile not work in some cases and not in others? Any other suggestions?

X_Man wrote:
Thanks for your response Chino!
Do you mean that any speed higher than 3200MHz would require this adjustment to the SA and VCCIO or just to reach 4000MHz? It didn't boot at 3600MHz.
[edit]
I found the Kaby Lake OC Guide. I upped the settings accordingly but no dice, can't even boot at 3600MHz. I found another post were swapping the processor solved the issue - I will try that and report back.

The further you stray from 2133MHz/2400MHz, the higher the chances that your system will require manual tweaking to get the memory stable.

I assume you've read the guidelines for SA & VCCIO tuning from Raja's guide.

Chino - Yes I read the OC Guide.

I tried what Nate said and upped the SA & VCCIO max making the changes he recommend and still do dice. I cannot boot above 38000MHz. My timings are 15-15-15-36 2T at 1.30v. I would rather have gone with a 2X16GB vs 4x8GB sticks. I bought from NewEgg which I am kinda not please with right now do to some shady pricing with the Strix 1080 GTX they tried to pull.

Should I RMA the RAM sticks or keep them?

X_Man wrote:
Chino - Yes I read the OC Guide.

I tried what Nate said and upped the SA & VCCIO max making the changes he recommend and still do dice. I cannot boot above 38000MHz. My timings are 15-15-15-36 2T at 1.30v. I would rather have gone with a 2X16GB vs 4x8GB sticks. I bought from NewEgg which I am kinda not please with right now do to some shady pricing with the Strix 1080 GTX they tried to pull.

Should I RMA the RAM sticks or keep them?

And have you tried using Maximus Tweak Mode 2 along with SA & VCCIO tuning? Also those voltages are quite sensitive so more is not always good.

I am at work right now - but I will try relaxing the timings to see if that helps.

Chino - Nate gave me that instruction yesterday - that didn't work either

This isn't the 1st XMP RAM I have used but the 1st one that I am having this much issue getting it to speed, so that you guys for your help.

Nate152
Hi X_Man

Whew 32GB of 4000MHz is asking alot, should have maybe gone with 16GB or a lower speed with 32GB but you still could get it there.

i'd reset to defaults and set the ram manually, if you're not sure how it's easy....

Set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual.
Scroll down to Dram Frequency and select 4000MHz.
Scroll down to Dram voltage and enter in 1.40v.

CPU VCCIO voltage: 1.25v - 1.30v
CPU System Agent voltage: 1.25 - 1.30v - 1.35v
Dram Voltage: 1.40v - 1.45v

Start with the lowest voltage then add more if needed, the last voltage of each is the max you'd want to go.

Go to Dram Timing Control - Enter the primary timings at the very top with command rate 2N.

If the voltages don't help, try Maximus Tweak Mode 1 and 2 at the top of the Dram Timing Control page.

Maximus Tweak Mode 1 - Helps with compatibility
Maximus Tweak mode 2 - Helps with overclocking, I think this one could help.

Fingers crossed you get it stable, let us know how it goes and what voltages you needed. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Hi X_Man

Whew 32GB of 4000MHz is asking alot, should have maybe gone with 16GB or a lower speed with 32GB but you still could get it there.

Yeah I hear you - I just saw mobo can handle 4133+ and that was about the extent of my research 😮 LOL

I will give this a shot and report back. Thank you for your help NateDOG! 🙂