cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting to POST

PinoyBoy120
Level 7
Right now, I've only got the essentially things I need to boot up the system: RAM the CPU and the HSF and of course then PSU. The RGB lights on the mobo come up when I hit the switch on the power supply but when I press the START button on the mobo it doesn't do anything. No fans spinning and no codes at the top right. I called support almost a week ago and they suggested I replace the motherboard. Well I did just that and got the results I've written above which is the same thing I experienced with the first motherboard. Is it safe to assume that maybe the PSU is the cause of it? I can't really test the power supply on other rigs and I don't have a reader to check its voltages. I've also yet to try breadboarding it, I'll probably get to that later today.
35 REPLIES 35

davemon50
Level 11
Are you sure your 20-pin and 12 volt power connectors are fully seated into the PSU and motherboard and also in the correct orientations?

Does that PSU have a voltage selector, and if so are you on the correct voltage?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Are you sure your 20-pin and 12 volt power connectors are fully seated into the PSU and motherboard and also in the correct orientations?

Does that PSU have a voltage selector, and if so are you on the correct voltage?

they're in all the way I'm sure. I heard the clips snap on both the 24 pin and 8 pin. I even gave an extra an extra push to the pins themselves after the snap and still nothing. My psu doesn't have a red voltage switch, I've checked.*

Chino
Level 15
Does sound like a PSU issue. Would be great if you could test your PSU in another system or borrow a PSU to test your system.

davemon50
Level 11
Sounds like you might need to try next what Chino suggests above.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Sounds like you might need to try next what Chino suggests above.

so I was able to find another power supply from a rig that I'm able to turn on and use and tried using that to power the motherboard. However I'm getting similar results. Nothing spins but this time when I press the power button, I think I can faintly hear a little click coming from I think is the HSF. it sounds like it's about to spin but immeadiately stops. The second *power supply that I used this time is another 750W that again, I know works for sure but it's still not working and thus, still no POST.

nmdelrio
Level 7
Does the fan PSU fan spin up? If not, check your power wall outlet. Sometimes you have to check the obvious.

davemon50
Level 11
Can you power another loaded computer, or a hair dryer, from that wall outlet? Power source is never without question.

I suspect the wiring from your PSU to the board. Move them around, replug them, make sure they are going in the correct direction. Switch them for a different set of wires.

Extreme followup steps, remove all but one RAM stick, reseat your CPU, and detach your motherboard and reattach to ensure you didn't get a short somewhere with a piece of metal or a loose wire or something very strange.

It couldn't be two boards from different batches with the exact same odd manufacturing fault. You'd have better chances of winning the lotto.
Davemon50

I had the exact same thing once.

It turned out i was dumb enough to forget the MB spacings in my rig, so everytime i put a current on it, it was shorting. I tried reseating memory, CPU, GPU and tried 3 different PSU's. Only after trying to get it to work outside the case, i noticed my stupid mistake.

I know, i know.. pretty stupid but hey, i was in a hurry 🙂

Lightbringer wrote:
I had the exact same thing once.

It turned out i was dumb enough to forget the MB spacings in my rig, so everytime i put a current on it, it was shorting. I tried reseating memory, CPU, GPU and tried 3 different PSU's. Only after trying to get it to work outside the case, i noticed my stupid mistake.

I know, i know.. pretty stupid but hey, i was in a hurry 🙂

I kind of got the feeling that something may be shorting it. What was shorting yours?