Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

ASUS GL502VS/VSK BIOS update procedure?

I updated BIOS forever ago on an Asus N71JQ and I'm again afraid of bricking my machine in the process for the new computer. Can someone outline the steps? I may need to do this as the BIOS apparently "optimizes system performance" but I don't want to risk bricking a relatively high end expensive machine for a little performance.

Also I am having trouble finding the right files due to lack of proper model. The machine I have was marketed as GL502VS(-FY281T, Slovenian) but dxdiag.exe shows it as GL502VSK. Which is accurate?

Also, FYI, the BIOS in DXDIAG shows up as GL502VSK.301. I am assuming that means that my computer is some derivative of the GL502VSK series and has version 301 of the BIOS for it but again I am asking just to be sure; is that all correct?

Super Moderator Array

Hi random_soldier1337

Please provide your NB's serial number, I will confirm the correct model for you.

Edit by cl-Albert 7/28/17: Customer's serial number has been soft deleted in the next post for their protection, but can still be accessed by the admins. Please send a private message in the future for personal information. Thanks.
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 07-28-2017 at 04:04 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by random_soldier1337 View Post
    <CENSURED>
    Please, erase your serial number from here!
    It can cause your problems in the future.

The difference in the model lays on the CPU installed:
    If you have a Skylake CPU, e.g. i7-6700HQ, your model is the GL502VS.
    If you have a Kaby-lake CPU, e.g. i7-7700HQ, your model is the GL502VSK, with a "K" from Kaby-Lake.

You should always trust what is flashed on your BIOS, especially if it is the factory one.

This small difference is because:
    1) Asus kept the design of the laptop;
    2) Asus spent so much money on marketing, that a change in the initial model name would cost a fortune to advert all over again.

Nevertheless, you should trust, above all, in the Asus's own WinFlash application.
    You can find it under "BIOS Utility" on your model's support page.

Procedure:
    1) First download the BIOS update file (today, the latest version it is the 303);
    2) Extract it and place it on the root folder of your main disk, usually C:\ ;
    3) The name should be something like "GL502VSK-AS.303";
    4) Install the program WinFlash, available under the BIOS Utility tab on Asus's support page of your model;
    5) Open it and select manual selection of BIOS file (do not select via internet, because I simply do not trust it);
    6) Follow the instructions and wait for the reboot and flash;
    7) The procedure takes some time, so be patient and do not touch any button until Windows boots up again.
    8) Done.

Enjoy your - supposedly - more stable system
    Last edited by marceloh; 07-28-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Clarify model name

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by marceloh View Post
    Please, erase your serial number from here!
    It can cause your problems in the future.

The difference in the model lays on the CPU installed:
    If you have a Skylake CPU, e.g. i7-6700HQ, your model is the GL502VS.
    If you have a Kaby-lake CPU, e.g. i7-7700HQ, your model is the GL502VSK, with a "K" from Kaby-Lake.

You should always trust what is flashed on your BIOS, especially if it is the factory one.

This small difference is because:
    1) Asus kept the design of the laptop;
    2) Asus spent so much money on marketing, that a change in the initial model name would cost a fortune to advert all over again.

Nevertheless, you should trust, above all, in the Asus's own WinFlash application.
    You can find it under "BIOS Utility" on your model's support page.

Procedure:
    1) First download the BIOS update file (today, the latest version it is the 303);
    2) Extract it and place it on the root folder of your main disk, usually C:\ ;
    3) The name should be something like "GL502VSK-AS.303";
    4) Install the program WinFlash, available under the BIOS Utility tab on Asus's support page of your model;
    5) Open it and select manual selection of BIOS file (do not select via internet, because I simply do not trust it);
    6) Follow the instructions and wait for the reboot and flash;
    7) The procedure takes some time, so be patient and do not touch any button until Windows boots up again.
    8) Done.

Enjoy your - supposedly - more stable system
    Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks.

My machine has the i7-7700HQ. Then it is GL502VSK, right?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

So if I buy this laptop, I can't use it properly?

Do I need to update BiOs first?
    Wishlist for next ROG!

-Skylake/Cannonlake CPU
    -Windows 10
    -Nvidia Pascal GPU
    -Direct X 12
    -Several THUNDERBOLT 3 ports alongside USB 3 ports
    -Free Microsoft Office
    -Free Antivirus

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by jamreal18 View Post
    So if I buy this laptop, I can't use it properly?

Do I need to update BiOs first?
    No. I've been using it till now with no problems. I just wanted to know if it is worth updating BIOS and how to do it (which was already explained how to do so).

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

No. I've been using it till now with no problems. I just wanted to know if it is worth updating BIOS and how to do it (which was already explained how to do so).
    Why do we need to update the BIOS?
    Why too much complicated? Can't Asus just do it before they sell their laptops?

Cant we just use it instantly on purchase?
    Wishlist for next ROG!

-Skylake/Cannonlake CPU
    -Windows 10
    -Nvidia Pascal GPU
    -Direct X 12
    -Several THUNDERBOLT 3 ports alongside USB 3 ports
    -Free Microsoft Office
    -Free Antivirus

New ROGer Array

You don't . Patch notes say "optimize system performance". No indication of what or how much so it's up to you if it is worth it.

Why too much complicated?
    There is a chance of bricking the machine if everything is not done right.

Can't Asus just do it before they sell their laptops?
    The latest update was introduced around 22nd June and I bought mine Early in this month so maybe it is available in the ones sold now.

Yes you can. There are no problems. I have been using the stock installation with no changes to software/drivers/BIOS/etc., without any problems whatsoever. It is simply for my satisfaction that I wish to update it.

ROG Member Array

My machine has the i7-7700HQ. Then it is GL502VSK, right?
    Correct.

ROG Member Array

Why too much complicated? Can't Asus just do it before they sell their laptops?

When a laptop is produced, the most recent stable firmware and software is installed on it.

But, things evolved and new code is introduced on the firmware / software.
    Sometimes it is Asus's own Engineers that find a bug, other times a customer reports a bug unidentified while in development and often new features are introduced.
    On other occasions, the OEM of the chipset / CPU - in our case, Intel - releases a patch to improve performance, solve a bug or improve stability.
    So Asus - as well as other OEMs - launch an update.
    As these patches can be built after the laptop is built, shipped and bought by you, an update is available.

And I give congratulations to Asus, for making the effort to update their machines.
    It is one of the reasons I purchased my laptop, and all the laptops for my familiy (five in total).
    Nothing more frustrating than having an expensive laptop with issues for the rest of its life, whether it is sound or graphics.

A BIOS update is optional or mandatory depending on the information Asus writes on its support page.
    Performance and stability improvements are optional.
    If an update it is mandatory, it will say so in the description, something like "The update is highly recommended for all devices".

For a power-user like me, I always do all the uodates.
    But, the choice is always yours.

I always make the firmware updates for my televisions, which many found useless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast