cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL502VS/VSK BIOS update procedure?

random_soldier1
Level 7
I updated BIOS forever ago on an Asus N71JQ and I'm again afraid of bricking my machine in the process for the new computer. Can someone outline the steps? I may need to do this as the BIOS apparently "optimizes system performance" but I don't want to risk bricking a relatively high end expensive machine for a little performance.

Also I am having trouble finding the right files due to lack of proper model. The machine I have was marketed as GL502VS(-FY281T, Slovenian) but dxdiag.exe shows it as GL502VSK. Which is accurate?

Also, FYI, the BIOS in DXDIAG shows up as GL502VSK.301. I am assuming that means that my computer is some derivative of the GL502VSK series and has version 301 of the BIOS for it but again I am asking just to be sure; is that all correct?
12 REPLIES 12

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi random_soldier1337

Please provide your NB's serial number, I will confirm the correct model for you.

Edit by cl-Albert 7/28/17: Customer's serial number has been soft deleted in the next post for their protection, but can still be accessed by the admins. Please send a private message in the future for personal information. Thanks.

onepiece wrote:
hi random_soldier1337

please provide your nb's serial number, i will confirm the correct model for you.

h2n0cv02u26406h

random_soldier1337 wrote:

Please, erase your serial number from here!
It can cause your problems in the future.

The difference in the model lays on the CPU installed:
If you have a Skylake CPU, e.g. i7-6700HQ, your model is the GL502VS.
If you have a Kaby-lake CPU, e.g. i7-7700HQ, your model is the GL502VSK, with a "K" from Kaby-Lake.

You should always trust what is flashed on your BIOS, especially if it is the factory one.

This small difference is because:
1) Asus kept the design of the laptop;
2) Asus spent so much money on marketing, that a change in the initial model name would cost a fortune to advert all over again.

Nevertheless, you should trust, above all, in the Asus's own WinFlash application.
You can find it under "BIOS Utility" on your model's support page.

Procedure:
1) First download the BIOS update file (today, the latest version it is the 303);
2) Extract it and place it on the root folder of your main disk, usually C:\ ;
3) The name should be something like "GL502VSK-AS.303";
4) Install the program WinFlash, available under the BIOS Utility tab on Asus's support page of your model;
5) Open it and select manual selection of BIOS file (do not select via internet, because I simply do not trust it);
6) Follow the instructions and wait for the reboot and flash;
7) The procedure takes some time, so be patient and do not touch any button until Windows boots up again.
😎 Done.

Enjoy your - supposedly - more stable system 🙂

marceloh wrote:
Please, erase your serial number from here!
It can cause your problems in the future.

The difference in the model lays on the CPU installed:
If you have a Skylake CPU, e.g. i7-6700HQ, your model is the GL502VS.
If you have a Kaby-lake CPU, e.g. i7-7700HQ, your model is the GL502VSK, with a "K" from Kaby-Lake.

You should always trust what is flashed on your BIOS, especially if it is the factory one.

This small difference is because:
1) Asus kept the design of the laptop;
2) Asus spent so much money on marketing, that a change in the initial model name would cost a fortune to advert all over again.

Nevertheless, you should trust, above all, in the Asus's own WinFlash application.
You can find it under "BIOS Utility" on your model's support page.

Procedure:
1) First download the BIOS update file (today, the latest version it is the 303);
2) Extract it and place it on the root folder of your main disk, usually C:\ ;
3) The name should be something like "GL502VSK-AS.303";
4) Install the program WinFlash, available under the BIOS Utility tab on Asus's support page of your model;
5) Open it and select manual selection of BIOS file (do not select via internet, because I simply do not trust it);
6) Follow the instructions and wait for the reboot and flash;
7) The procedure takes some time, so be patient and do not touch any button until Windows boots up again.
😎 Done.

Enjoy your - supposedly - more stable system 🙂

Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks.

My machine has the i7-7700HQ. Then it is GL502VSK, right?

My machine has the i7-7700HQ. Then it is GL502VSK, right?

Correct.

jamreal18
Level 7
So if I buy this laptop, I can't use it properly?

Do I need to update BiOs first?

jamreal18 wrote:
So if I buy this laptop, I can't use it properly?

Do I need to update BiOs first?

No. I've been using it till now with no problems. I just wanted to know if it is worth updating BIOS and how to do it (which was already explained how to do so).

No. I've been using it till now with no problems. I just wanted to know if it is worth updating BIOS and how to do it (which was already explained how to do so).

Why do we need to update the BIOS?
Why too much complicated? Can't Asus just do it before they sell their laptops?

Cant we just use it instantly on purchase?

jamreal18 wrote:
Why do we need to update the BIOS?

You don't . Patch notes say "optimize system performance". No indication of what or how much so it's up to you if it is worth it.

jamreal18 wrote:
Why too much complicated?

There is a chance of bricking the machine if everything is not done right.

jamreal18 wrote:
Can't Asus just do it before they sell their laptops?

The latest update was introduced around 22nd June and I bought mine Early in this month so maybe it is available in the ones sold now.

jamreal18 wrote:
Cant we just use it instantly on purchase?

Yes you can. There are no problems. I have been using the stock installation with no changes to software/drivers/BIOS/etc., without any problems whatsoever. It is simply for my satisfaction that I wish to update it.