Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83
  1. #11
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VI EXTREME
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)32gb GSkill FlareX 3200mhzC14
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE 1080 ti EXTREME
    Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 951 M.2 PCIe AHCI 512GB
    CPU CoolerNZXT kRAKEN X62
    CaseCOOLERMASTER MAKER 5T
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RM850X
    Keyboard LOGITECH K850 WIRELESS BACKLIT
    Mouse LOGITECH M570 TRACKBALL WIRELESS
    Headset 2.4GHz Wireless Headphones with Detachable Mic and Rechargeable Battery
    Mouse Pad LOLOLOLOLOLOL....
    Headset/Speakers VIZIO SOUND BAR, SUBWOOFER AND SURROUND SPEAKERS
    OS WIN 10 PRO
    AQUASTEVAE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    374

    Quote Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
    What reviewers get and what the general public get when buying are usually two different things. The Crosshair VI Hero was known for being the best overclocker before the Extreme. The difference between the two is still very little, including in overclocking.
    And what evidence do you have to back that up? Have you had one in your hands? What you are saying is so untrue. The reviewers are regular people like you and I. They are not the companies. Now, if you said that what most companies claimed was different than what the public gets, then we could agree. But what you are saying here is pure tripe, because reviewers are part of the general public. I find I get nearly identical results that most of the reviewers I watch get, using the same hardware. It varies a bit, of course, because of different silicon. But generally the same.
    So I don't mean to be offensive, but your point is just flat out wrong, and I'm not even sure why you would say such a thing. We have to base decisions off of trial and error and observation. And thus far, everything we have observed is that the Extreme board is much more powerful than the Hero. And btw, there is an entire history to back this up as well. Can you name one Hero version of any mobo that was as powerful as the Extreme version of that same mobo? Not one... There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary.
    Last edited by AQUASTEVAE; 08-05-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME - 55-inch UHD 4k Display - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - NZXT Kraken X62 - 7 CoolerMaster/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 32GB GSkill FlareX 3200Mhz DDR4 - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB - Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD - Crucial MX100 SATA 3 500GB SSD - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech K350 wireless wave keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 10 Pro Fall Creators Edition

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Syaoran PC Specs
    Syaoran PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MSI GP62 7RD
    MotherboardGigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.8GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ (4 X 8GB) @ 3333 C14-13-13-13-34
    Graphics Card #1Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56
    Graphics Card #2Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56
    MonitorSamsung 49" LC49HG900MNXZA 32:9
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda Pro 6TB
    CPU CoolerArctic Freezer 360
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Primo SE (Green)
    Power SupplySilverStone Strider ST1200G
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
    Headset Corsair VOID Pro Wireless RGB
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 Polaris RGB
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo HT-S7700
    OS Windows 10 Education x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68W
    Syaoran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    261

    Quote Originally Posted by AQUASTEVAE View Post
    And what evidence do you have to back that up? Have you had one in your hands? What you are saying is so untrue. The reviewers are regular people like you and I. They are not the companies. Now, if you said that what most companies claimed was different than what the public gets, then we could agree. But what you are saying here is pure tripe, because reviewers are part of the general public. I find I get nearly identical results that most of the reviewers I watch get, using the same hardware. It varies a bit, of course, because of different silicon. But generally the same.
    So I don't mean to be offensive, but your point is just flat out wrong, and I'm not even sure why you would say such a thing. We have to base decisions off of trial and error and observation. And thus far, everything we have observed is that the Extreme board is much more powerful than the Hero. And btw, there is an entire history to back this up as well. Can you name one Hero version of any mobo that was as powerful as the Extreme version of that same mobo? Not one... There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary.
    You don't seem to realize that reviews are basically a form of advertising. Just because I have a difference of opinion doesn't make what I stated untrue! What really varies on the Extreme from the Hero that really matters? A bunch more fan headers? A little extra space for the layout thanks to a larger PCB? An A added to the audio chipset that still doesn't officially support Dolby because Asus is too cheap to pay the licensing fee? The only real difference besides the PCB size is the second M.2 slot. Can it boot off of M.2 in RAID? I honestly don't know but that would be the only benefit to having dual M.2 slots, at least in my opinion.

    Extreme is simply a name given to define one board from another but doesn't actually guarantee or state that one is better than the other. A good example of this practice is with internet companies calling their services, "high speed", when what they are offering doesn't even reach 5Mbit. Another good example of the same thing are car companies calling these 4-door 4 cylinder cars, "sports models". They aren't performance vehicles at all! It's plain and simple, marketing. The term, "gaming" added to a motherboard name is another and there are plenty of examples of how a name can sell a product which actually doesn't truly represent what that product is or does and how it performs.

  3. #13
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array haihane PC Specs
    haihane PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Memory (part number)Gskill F3-2400C10-8GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS HD 6950
    Storage #1WD Velociraptor 1TB
    Storage #2Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120XL
    CaseCooler Master Silencio 650
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64
    Network RouterLinksys E2500
    haihane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Reputation
    106
    Posts
    609

    i think you two should just wait for the reviews and compare the numbers side by side and you'll know in the end who wins is right.

    one good result > 1000 expert opinions.
    no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

  4. #14
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    25

    Question SIAP: QVL Memory List Anomaly?

    I was looking at the QVL for this MOBO, and noticed the following:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asus_CH_VI_Ext_Memory.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	66533

    I am buying this MOBO as soon as it is released, but am confused by the Size listed for this Corsair RAM. The MOBO specs state that max RAM = 64GB, yet the QVL lists 128GM (with 8 DIMMS) and also 64GB with 8 DIMMS...but only for this Corsair specifically.

    I already bought the 32GB version of this exact memory (2x16) @ 2666 with same timings (15-17-17-35) because I thought it was QVL spec for 16GBx2. But only now I realize that the QVL shows 128GB and 64GB only. This is really confusing, especially since the max is supposed to be 64GB and there are only 4 slots on board.

    So, my real questions are 1) will my two 16GB sticks of this RAM work at 2666 speed, and 2) will I be able to stable OC them?

    Here is the actual memory and package that I got directly from Corsair:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair_32_GB.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	66534

    Thanks everyone!

  5. #15
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea
    Menthol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Reputation
    241
    Posts
    4,547

    One can only assume that is either a mistake on the QVL or that 4 dimms of the 8 dimm kits are qualified
    I would again assume as we don't really know for sure that your 2x16gb kit will work at rated speeds but I would not assume you would have headroom for clocking past rated speed for several reasons
    Never assume you can overclock memory past its rated speed, if it does it's a bonus not a given, even rated XMP speed is not necessarily a given
    16 GB memory modules are less likely to clock past rated speeds than 8 GB modules, 16 GB modules are also less likely to run at XMP that 8 GB modules
    Memory compatibility and speeds are controlled by the on die memory controller of the CPU, therefore the differences between CPU quality can make a big difference
    The Extreme VI board should be the most capable board to achieve your desired results but nothing is guaranteed

  6. #16
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    25

    Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    One can only assume that is either a mistake on the QVL or that 4 dimms of the 8 dimm kits are qualified
    I would again assume as we don't really know for sure that your 2x16gb kit will work at rated speeds but I would not assume you would have headroom for clocking past rated speed for several reasons
    Never assume you can overclock memory past its rated speed, if it does it's a bonus not a given, even rated XMP speed is not necessarily a given
    16 GB memory modules are less likely to clock past rated speeds than 8 GB modules, 16 GB modules are also less likely to run at XMP that 8 GB modules
    Memory compatibility and speeds are controlled by the on die memory controller of the CPU, therefore the differences between CPU quality can make a big difference
    The Extreme VI board should be the most capable board to achieve your desired results but nothing is guaranteed
    Thanks, Menthol.

    I just noticed that the same "error" is on QVL for the regular Hero VI and the Hero VI Wi-Fi. Very interesting. I hadn't even considered that maybe ASUS tested the 16GB modules that come in Corsair's pre-packed 64GB and 128GB 8-DIMM kits. Would be ridiculous to have to buy twice or quadruple the desired RAM just to get the desired speed...especially since there's not enough room on the MOBO to support it all.

    If I can get 2666 speeds out of the box without any OC, I'll take that for now. It will suck if I plug it in and it defaults to a lower speed than what it is rated at. Long term, I think this particular RAM will OC very well...it's just whether or not the system will support it eventually.

  7. #17
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    15
    Posts
    24

    Maybe I'm missing something.... but it seems to me the ONLY significant difference between this and the C6H is it has the WiFi 'built in' from Asus.... Oh, and it has two less USB 3.0 ports on the back... So... What's so 'Extreme' about it vs the C6H? :yawn:

    There is nothing about it that would make me even remotely interested in buying it over the C6H. WiFi? Nope. WHY would anyone want to mess with wireless on a desktop, especially when it has a Gig hardwire connection? less USB 3.0 ports? FAIL. In my personal opinion, the 'Crosshair VI Extreme' is more like 'Crosshair VI lite'. :shrug:

    As far as people complaining about stability... Once I figured out what was causing my USB 3.1 controller to vanish and stay dead (three DisplayPort monitors attached to an XFX Radeon RX-480 - go figure), it's been ROCK SOLID. But then I don't push it to the bleeding edge.... So one can only assume that those complaining about stability are trying to push it as hard as they can - Overclocking, while 'allowed' due to the unlocked processors, isn't entirely supported or guaranteed. You might get lucky pushing a 3.6Ghz CPU to 4.5 Ghz - or it might crash and burn at 3.8 Ghz - Once you push it past what the manufacturer shipped it as, all bets are off - don't complain that you can't overclock your CPU. If you're running it at stock levels and it's crashing all over the place, that's different - Then you have something to complain about...
    Last edited by SubnetMask; 08-09-2017 at 03:03 AM.

  8. #18
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)
    Korth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    152
    Posts
    2,719

    I do like the right-angle 24-pin ATXPWR input at the edge of the board. It would be nice if all power inputs, SATA connectors, and even some USB headers/ports were (intelligently) positioned and oriented this way.

    A slightly bold move for ASUS, though. Nonstandard placement could reduce compatibility with some PSUs and chassis. (Although this is admittedly less of an issue with full-modular PSUs and with enthusiasts carefully selecting/modding their parts.)

  9. #19
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VI EXTREME
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)32gb GSkill FlareX 3200mhzC14
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE 1080 ti EXTREME
    Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 951 M.2 PCIe AHCI 512GB
    CPU CoolerNZXT kRAKEN X62
    CaseCOOLERMASTER MAKER 5T
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RM850X
    Keyboard LOGITECH K850 WIRELESS BACKLIT
    Mouse LOGITECH M570 TRACKBALL WIRELESS
    Headset 2.4GHz Wireless Headphones with Detachable Mic and Rechargeable Battery
    Mouse Pad LOLOLOLOLOLOL....
    Headset/Speakers VIZIO SOUND BAR, SUBWOOFER AND SURROUND SPEAKERS
    OS WIN 10 PRO
    AQUASTEVAE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    374

    Quote Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
    You don't seem to realize that reviews are basically a form of advertising. Just because I have a difference of opinion doesn't make what I stated untrue! What really varies on the Extreme from the Hero that really matters? A bunch more fan headers? A little extra space for the layout thanks to a larger PCB? An A added to the audio chipset that still doesn't officially support Dolby because Asus is too cheap to pay the licensing fee? The only real difference besides the PCB size is the second M.2 slot. Can it boot off of M.2 in RAID? I honestly don't know but that would be the only benefit to having dual M.2 slots, at least in my opinion.

    Extreme is simply a name given to define one board from another but doesn't actually guarantee or state that one is better than the other. A good example of this practice is with internet companies calling their services, "high speed", when what they are offering doesn't even reach 5Mbit. Another good example of the same thing are car companies calling these 4-door 4 cylinder cars, "sports models". They aren't performance vehicles at all! It's plain and simple, marketing. The term, "gaming" added to a motherboard name is another and there are plenty of examples of how a name can sell a product which actually doesn't truly represent what that product is or does and how it performs.
    No, I think you are the one missing the points. First, there is more than another m.2 slot upgraded on this board. There are two usb 3.0 headers now, where there were only one before. The first usb 3.0 header and the 24 pin header have been turned 90 degrees to make better cabling, and take pressure off of the board. They have changed the location of the qcode readout, as well as the Start/reset/retry/safestart buttons, which is a big improvement also. They have an onboard molex at the bottom, which is more useful. There are more fan headers and rgb headers as well. The TWO m.2 slots are in better places, with an excellent heatsink for the primary, and YES, Asus said they can be used in a raid configuration. There is also better audio, more rgb leds on the board and much better power. Besides all of that, it has built in wifi, integrated I/O plate and rgb gold plated audio ports. And at the very least, I was able to regain more than the cost difference between this mobo and the Hero, by returning my pcie usb 2.0 card, pcie usb 3.0 header card, pcie m.2 riser card and lastly my wifi/bluetooth pcie riser card. With all of those built into THIS mobo, almost all of my pcie ports will now be open. So that probably enhances airflow and temp control as well.
    Now, two things need to be mentioned about this power upgrade, first is that every extreme board Asus has ever put out could handle more power than the Hero version of the same board. That is a fact! Second, one other poster on here said something to the fact of wait until they come out and see which one is more powerful. Well, we don't have to wait, as they both have already been tested by several reviewers, and this board got the highest clock settings they have ever been able to achieve on any of the ryzen am4 mobo's. So there is proof positive.
    Now, as to your ridiculous point about reviewers being advertisement, they are certainly NOT! Many of them are thorns in the sides of many companies because the contrary is true. A very good example is OC3D. He almost always goes off on the companies who don't do things right, and calls a spade a spade. So NO, they are far from adverts. They are enthusiasts, just like us, and want to publish the truth. I have found my stats align with the people who I follow very well, OR I WOULD NOT FOLLOW THEM!!! So according to Asus, you are wrong. According to more than seven reviewers, you are wrong. And according to my research, you are wrong. I defy you to find proof otherwise. Furthermore, if you feel driven to pursue your erroneous points, then I would be happy to read any real world documentaion to support your opinions, and if they are factually based, and refute my findings, I would be happy to retract my statements and credit your points. My points can easily be proven by googling the history of these mobo's, reviews of this board thus far, and by Asus themselves. So either backup your opposing point, or admit you don't know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by AQUASTEVAE; 08-11-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME - 55-inch UHD 4k Display - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - NZXT Kraken X62 - 7 CoolerMaster/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 32GB GSkill FlareX 3200Mhz DDR4 - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB - Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD - Crucial MX100 SATA 3 500GB SSD - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech K350 wireless wave keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 10 Pro Fall Creators Edition

  10. #20
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Cool Hi Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
    You don't seem to realize that reviews are basically a form of advertising. Just because I have a difference of opinion doesn't make what I stated untrue! What really varies on the Extreme from the Hero that really matters? A bunch more fan headers? A little extra space for the layout thanks to a larger PCB? An A added to the audio chipset that still doesn't officially support Dolby because Asus is too cheap to pay the licensing fee? The only real difference besides the PCB size is the second M.2 slot. Can it boot off of M.2 in RAID? I honestly don't know but that would be the only benefit to having dual M.2 slots, at least in my opinion.

    Extreme is simply a name given to define one board from another but doesn't actually guarantee or state that one is better than the other. A good example of this practice is with internet companies calling their services, "high speed", when what they are offering doesn't even reach 5Mbit. Another good example of the same thing are car companies calling these 4-door 4 cylinder cars, "sports models". They aren't performance vehicles at all! It's plain and simple, marketing. The term, "gaming" added to a motherboard name is another and there are plenty of examples of how a name can sell a product which actually doesn't truly represent what that product is or does and how it performs.
    Dear Sir:

    There are few things which you have mentioned might be true, but I have to say there are more upgraded features you just don't know.

    1. PCB layer upgrade from 6 layers to 8 layers, it will cool down the whole system and get better performance when you do OC.
    2. 8 PINS CPU EATX & 16 PINS EATXPOWER were upgraded to solid metal pins which can carry higher current with lower heat.
    3. Both M.2 support X4 PCIE GEN3, but they can only make SATA RAID. Due to the fact that AMD hasn't released the driver for PCIE RAID.
    4. VRM driver IC has changed into combo IC with MOSFET, we internally have proved that thermal performance is better then.
    5. Double Front USB 3.0 ports.
    6. FRONT EZ_PLUG can add more VGA Power.
    7. WB_SENSOR which can support Water Block from bits power. (it include water in out checking and water leakage prevention)
    8. Supper Audio Connector with LED light inside.
    9. Wifi Lan card. (C6H also have the Wifi Lan Card version)
    10. Addressable RGB LED support.
    11. No need installed IO Shielding.
    12. Stronger DIMM Memory Slot with metal in the middle of DIMM slot.
    13. Wild OC feature place on the top-right side of mobo, which can be easier for OC players.

    Thank you for your opinions!
    Last edited by JOE711JOE; 08-11-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: mistype

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •