cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Extereme is HERE!

Vlada011
Level 10
After 7 years Crosshair IV Extreme, famous AM3 motherboard compatible with several generation of processors get successor.
On Crosshair IV Extreme people could use Athlon II, Phenom II, Thuban, Bulldozer and even Vishera compatibility is confirmed...
Crosshair V Formula and Formula-Z never get bigger brother. But Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 really deserve Extreme version.

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/

Now AMD have premium platform for gamers and premium for enthusiasts.
In both section there is premium boards highest class, Crosshair VI Extreme X370 and ROG Zenith Extreme X399.

83 REPLIES 83

Syaoran
Level 7
I am a bit surprised that there aren't more E-ATX motherboards out there geared towards gamers and enthusiasts.*It is nice to see an E-ATX motherboard come out that I would actually want if it wasn't for the many issues plaguing the Asus Crosshair VI line. The Crosshair VI Hero has more than enough issues to make me bitter enough from the lack of progress in stabilizing the board to even consider another Asus product. The extra fan headers are a good example. There are issues with the Hero where the CPU and AIO headers shut down for no reason. Why add more on basically an identical board when Asus can't even ensure the ones on the smaller board all work consistently?! With the extra room, the layout could have been improved more. The M.2 slot hidden under the heatsink seems silly, especially when the chipset gets quite hot. The 24 pin power connector turned 90 degrees is a nice touch but why not do the same with the 8 and 4 pin connectors on the top left area of the motherboard? Where are the other premium features to justify in the increased price? A 5 gigabit ethernet port would have been nice. I am not even going to get started on what is wrong with the sound and the lack of DTS and Dolby. Asus could have and should have done better but they didn't!
Syaoran

Syaoran wrote:
I am a bit surprised that there aren't more E-ATX motherboards out there geared towards gamers and enthusiasts.*It is nice to see an E-ATX motherboard come out that I would actually want if it wasn't for the many issues plaguing the Asus Crosshair VI line. The Crosshair VI Hero has more than enough issues to make me bitter enough from the lack of progress in stabilizing the board to even consider another Asus product. The extra fan headers are a good example. There are issues with the Hero where the CPU and AIO headers shut down for no reason. Why add more on basically an identical board when Asus can't even ensure the ones on the smaller board all work consistently?! With the extra room, the layout could have been improved more. The M.2 slot hidden under the heatsink seems silly, especially when the chipset gets quite hot. The 24 pin power connector turned 90 degrees is a nice touch but why not do the same with the 8 and 4 pin connectors on the top left area of the motherboard? Where are the other premium features to justify in the increased price? A 5 gigabit ethernet port would have been nice. I am not even going to get started on what is wrong with the sound and the lack of DTS and Dolby. Asus could have and should have done better but they didn't!

About C6H issues, I extremely recommend you to upgrade the newest BIOS in ASUS website.
It resolved several AMD issues as I know.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Ocelot
Level 7
is there a big difference to the crosshair vi hero? I mean performance wise or only more features?

Ocelot wrote:
is there a big difference to the crosshair vi hero? I mean performance wise or only more features?

Performance should be identical to the Crosshair VI Hero and Crosshair VI Hero (WiFi AC). It is essentially the same board with more fan headers, a slightly updated version of the audio (which still lacks Dolby and DTS), 90 degree 24 pin power connector, a second M.2 slot under the chipset heatsink, the IO panel is attached to the board, and the board is physically about an inch or so wider.
Syaoran

Syaoran wrote:
Performance should be identical to the Crosshair VI Hero and Crosshair VI Hero (WiFi AC). It is essentially the same board with more fan headers, a slightly updated version of the audio (which still lacks Dolby and DTS), 90 degree 24 pin power connector, a second M.2 slot under the chipset heatsink, the IO panel is attached to the board, and the board is physically about an inch or so wider.

Thanks! Except the second M2 slot nothing i would use...so Im good 😄

Syaoran wrote:

performance is NOT identical to the Hero. The Extreme is much more powerful, and overclocks much better. It has several advantages over the Hero. Two m.2 slots, two usb 3.0 headers on the board, more fan control headers, better placement of the Qcode readout/start/reset/retry buttons, a molex at the bottom of the board better wifi and bluetooth built in and yes, even better rgb. It also has an attached faceplate on the rear I/O, and rgb audio ports. Reviewers are getting their highest clock speeds on this board of any am4 mobo's available. And I absolutely love the 90 degree 24 pin and 3.0 headers. So yes, there are major differences.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
performance is NOT identical to the Hero. The Extreme is much more powerful, and overclocks much better. It has several advantages over the Hero. Two m.2 slots, two usb 3.0 headers on the board, more fan control headers, better placement of the Qcode readout/start/reset/retry buttons, a molex at the bottom of the board better wifi and bluetooth built in and yes, even better rgb. It also has an attached faceplate on the rear I/O, and rgb audio ports. Reviewers are getting their highest clock speeds on this board of any am4 mobo's available. And I absolutely love the 90 degree 24 pin and 3.0 headers. So yes, there are major differences.

What reviewers get and what the general public get when buying are usually two different things. The Crosshair VI Hero was known for being the best overclocker before the Extreme. The difference between the two is still very little, including in overclocking.
Syaoran

Syaoran wrote:
What reviewers get and what the general public get when buying are usually two different things. The Crosshair VI Hero was known for being the best overclocker before the Extreme. The difference between the two is still very little, including in overclocking.

And what evidence do you have to back that up? Have you had one in your hands? What you are saying is so untrue. The reviewers are regular people like you and I. They are not the companies. Now, if you said that what most companies claimed was different than what the public gets, then we could agree. But what you are saying here is pure tripe, because reviewers are part of the general public. I find I get nearly identical results that most of the reviewers I watch get, using the same hardware. It varies a bit, of course, because of different silicon. But generally the same.
So I don't mean to be offensive, but your point is just flat out wrong, and I'm not even sure why you would say such a thing. We have to base decisions off of trial and error and observation. And thus far, everything we have observed is that the Extreme board is much more powerful than the Hero. And btw, there is an entire history to back this up as well. Can you name one Hero version of any mobo that was as powerful as the Extreme version of that same mobo? Not one... There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
And what evidence do you have to back that up? Have you had one in your hands? What you are saying is so untrue. The reviewers are regular people like you and I. They are not the companies. Now, if you said that what most companies claimed was different than what the public gets, then we could agree. But what you are saying here is pure tripe, because reviewers are part of the general public. I find I get nearly identical results that most of the reviewers I watch get, using the same hardware. It varies a bit, of course, because of different silicon. But generally the same.
So I don't mean to be offensive, but your point is just flat out wrong, and I'm not even sure why you would say such a thing. We have to base decisions off of trial and error and observation. And thus far, everything we have observed is that the Extreme board is much more powerful than the Hero. And btw, there is an entire history to back this up as well. Can you name one Hero version of any mobo that was as powerful as the Extreme version of that same mobo? Not one... There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary.

You don't seem to realize that reviews are basically a form of advertising. Just because I have a difference of opinion doesn't make what I stated untrue! What really varies on the Extreme from the Hero that really matters? A bunch more fan headers? A little extra space for the layout thanks to a larger PCB? An A added to the audio chipset that still doesn't officially support Dolby because Asus is too cheap to pay the licensing fee? The only real difference besides the PCB size is the second M.2 slot. Can it boot off of M.2 in RAID? I honestly don't know but that would be the only benefit to having dual M.2 slots, at least in my opinion.

Extreme is simply a name given to define one board from another but doesn't actually guarantee or state that one is better than the other. A good example of this practice is with internet companies calling their services, "high speed", when what they are offering doesn't even reach 5Mbit. Another good example of the same thing are car companies calling these 4-door 4 cylinder cars, "sports models". They aren't performance vehicles at all! It's plain and simple, marketing. The term, "gaming" added to a motherboard name is another and there are plenty of examples of how a name can sell a product which actually doesn't truly represent what that product is or does and how it performs.
Syaoran