cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS - Oculus Rift USB setup, solved

ColinMacLaren
Level 7
Hi,

I am using a G752Vs, mostly as a Desktop replacement.

I comes with :

2x USB 3.0 on the left
2x USB 3.0 on the right
1x USB 3.1-C on the right

I want to connect:

1x USB HUB 3.0 with lots of periphery (3 mice, RGB keyboard, Soundcard)
1x Oculus Rift goggles
3x Oculus Rift Sensors

Connecting two sensors at each port on the left side doens't seem to work.

What's your setup?
10 REPLIES 10

Sheltem
Level 9
If you were to look at other threads about G752V models, there are some statements that one side of the laptop has USB ports that may not function entirely as expected (because they are connected to the MB over some malfunctioning chip, apparently). I myself never really bothered to check if my unit is affected, but that might be related to what you are experiencing.

My setup:

Left side:
1. Cooling pad connector (power only), topmost USB port
2. Unused

Right side: (from top towards bottom):
AC/DC Power connector
Ethernet
External monitor (over miniDP)
1. USB3.0 port hub (4 ports) - keyboard + mouse; storage peripherals on demand (usb keys, external HDDs, etc)
2. Smartphone charging/data transfer on demand
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

Yes I use a right hand extension on the right front USB port that connects to a 4 port powered USB Hub, this is all that is needed for my set up. to get al the ports you want you'll need two right hand extensions and 2 7 Port USB Hubs

I have no Idea if there is room for two adapter cables on the right side, suspect you'll have to heat one up with a hair dryer and do some shaping to prevent damage to your USB ports. The left side port I only use for Bluetooth for my mouse and USB 2 thumb drives etc. I don't put anything that draws power on the left side. I haven't had any failures using the left side on this G752VY but I'm already used to this set up so it works for me. If you want to try a hub on the left side the make left hand adapter cables too. These adapter cables keep the cable out of your way hugging very close to your notebook that way everything is behind your notebook out of the way.

I just remembered we also have a USB-C/thunderbolt connection on the right side that can be used for a USB 3.0 hub also. This would supply even more power than USB 3.0 does Not sure how all that works just mention it to you as a possibility, I do have to say that I have bought a Right angle USB-C adapter and connected my 4 port to it with my back up drive connected it transferred data well but I had issues with it staying connected and reconnecting after shut down and restart that's probably a setting some were to fix it? just haven't had time to fool with it any more lately.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Faberge
Level 7
I dont know anything about some malfunctioning chip on the left side USB port in these notebooks but I have noticed that the power supply for that side is worse than on the right side USB ports. For my setup (752VY), I have used a voltmeter and it came out there is 5.07V on 5V pin with no load on USB, and 5.03V on 5V with 500mA device on USB for the right side. While for the left side the values were 5.02V with no load and 4.97V for 500mA load which is relativly good also. Most devices will work with such conditions perfectly without any troubles, really. But in case u connect multiple devices with high current then I think u may encounter some power supply problems. So yeah keep that in mind. Hope that helps!

Yes I agree it not a chip, the left side USB port are on a daughter board that connection has been defective for the G75, G750 and G751, hopefully the G752 Asus has solve the issue. For me I'm just new to the G752 and my G75VW had the issue so I have my work around and use to it. I did have a disconnect on the left port when I first got this G752VY in December this was a 100 GB+ transfer from hard drive to 128GB USB 3.0 Thumb drive It did disconnect during the transfer so I attempted and succeeded on the right ports. So I haven't fooled around wit it since.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Faberge
Level 7
Well, if u have experienced that also, then that exactly might be the issue with these USB ports. External HDDs are usually power consuming devices so the voltage on that daughter board droped down when the current consumption increased during the file transfer. Dont know anything about Oculus Rift hardware though.

ColinMacLaren
Level 7
The Oculus Rift needs:

1x USB 3.0 for the headset
2x USB 3.0 for the sensors

I just cannot geht these three to work reliably on the G752VS. One sensor is always reporting bad tracking qualityn no matter which ports I use.

Have you determined exactly Which USB port is causing the Issue, or have you determined which cable is causing the issue. Is your USB 3.0 Hub sufficiently powered, USB Powered Hub require 500ma from your USB port Plus sufficient AC Power to your USB 3 Hub. Not all Hubs are created Equal. USB 3 requires significantly more power than the USB 2 did
Go through the trouble shooting to determine exactly what is the issue, if it turns out to be a defective USB Port on your Notebook for positive sure, you can RMA for Repair I wouldn't do this unless there is no other way. It wouldn't be good to have sent your notebook off for 2 to 4 weeks for repair, get it back and find that you have a bad plug/cable on one of your sensors or that your USB 3 hub was not supplying enough power.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ColinMacLaren wrote:
The Oculus Rift needs:

1x USB 3.0 for the headset
2x USB 3.0 for the sensors

I just cannot geht these three to work reliably on the G752VS. One sensor is always reporting bad tracking qualityn no matter which ports I use.

I suggest yout first check it with a good external powered USB hub.

ColinMacLaren
Level 7
I already have a powered hub, it makes no difference. Since the ports on the right side can be used for quick charging of phones and tablets, they should provide plenty of power.

According to HWINFO64 all USB 3.0 ports are internally connected to the same root hub. So it shoulndnt matter which ports I am using. And it doesn't. The results are always identicall, no matter into which ports I plug in the sensors.

There is also the USB 3.1-C port. Currently I am using a simple USB-C-to-USB-A-Adapter. But even when using the USB-C-port for one sensor I always get the same outcome. I plug in one sensor and the rift glasses. Everything is in USB 3.0 mode. The moment I plug in a second sensor, one of the sensors either reports poor tracking quality or reverts back to USB 2.0. I have tried pretty much all the port combinations with and without an active hub.

It's more likely a bandwith issue. I am using two NVME SSDs in Raid0. Does anyone know how many PCI-Express-Lanes the G752vs has and wether the NVME-slots share bandwith with the USB-Controllers?