cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max IV Extreme wont POST... very confused

Haggisdog
Level 9
For some reason my Maximus IV Extreme won't boot or even get to the POST screen. It has power to the motherboard but everytime I turn it on the computer immediately shuts down (I can see the fans spin up but then it shuts down).

A fan on one of my GPUs burned out and I swapped it out with another GPU which worked fine for about 20 minutes. The computer turned off abruptly and wouldn't turn on again. I waited about an hour thinking maybe the CPU had overheated and sure enough when I turned it on I received a message that the CPU had exceeded its temperature threshold. I re-opened the case and saw that the connection to the fan for the Kuhler H20 620 was dangling so I plugged it back in thinking this would solve the problem. After that though I have not been able to turn the PC on for more than a few seconds before it turns off.

I removed the CMOS Battery for about five minutes with no effect.
'I've removed all onboard accessories (my two GPUs and memory) and also reseated my Kuhler radiator but none of these changes have had an effect.

The computer is well cleaned and well ventilated with 8 fans.

Is it possible that the CPU fried or is there a short somewhere on the board? I really don't know how to troubleshoot this kind of error so any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Haggisdog
Level 9
Well I have tried just about everything I can think of at this point. I am beginning to suspect that the problem is with the PSU. Although the motherboard is clearly drawing some power from the PSU and lighting up the ROG logo and start and reset buttons the minute I press the on switch or start the computer draws power to fire the fans and then immediately dies. Unfortunately I have a Tagan 900W with very nice PSU connectors that light up but the company went out of business and I can't get a replacement it appears. I'll do some research today and order another PSU and see if that addresses the issue. Wish me luck!

Raja
Level 13
Yes, try another PSU. Perhaps move to an open test bed, too. Non-conductive surface, minimum components.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have new PSU on its way.. EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W, Semi Modular. It had some nice features and good reviews. Hope it works!

My new PSU came in even faster than advertised by Amazon... unfortunately that was the only good news I had today. I plugged in the PSU to the MoBo and powered up but had the same experience as before. The Mobo was receiving power but the minute I turned on the PC the fans lit up and spun for a second before immediately cutting out and shutting down.

I guess at this point the only other path is to replace the Mobo and CPU.