cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEI version + MEI firmware version + bios version

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
I currently have bios 2001 and MEI firmware version 1186 and want to reinstall windows 10 and the latest drivers, including latest MEI version. I see no reason to update the bios or MEI firmware, unless I need to in order to run the latest MEI version which in itself may not even be necessary.

In a nutshell: Can I leave the current bios and MEI firmware and install the latest version of MEI and if not can I install a previous version of MEI without issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
There's no reason to update firmware unless it specifically fixes bugs/problems which affect you or it specifically adds compatibility/functionality you will use. Or it's the next logical step for troubleshooting problems.
If your hardware works fine then you don't really need compatibility with other hardware you aren't going to use.

MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 2202
1.CPU uCode update
2.Support more PCIe-1394 devices.

MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 3101
Improve system stability

MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 3201
- Improved CPU compatibility
- Fixed wake-up function when using some PCIE devices.
- Improved keyboard compatibility when “Fast Boot” enabled.
- Fixed DRAM frequency read display error in OS.
- Improved DRAM XMP compatibility over 4200MHz.
- Fixed Plextor M.2 device issue.
- Modified OA key function in legacy OS.

MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 3401
1.Improved System Performance
2.Modified OA key function in legacy OS
3.Fixed some PS/2 devices connection issue in win8/win10 when fast startup is enabled
4.Fixed chassis fan’s behavior after wake up from S3
5.Fixed CPU(i3-7350K) ratio item missing issue in SW

The most compelling reasons to upflash your BIOS are "Improve System Stability" and "Improved System Performance". They're uselessly vague statements, but there are threads discussing each ROG BIOS in these forums, someone always reports if it works better or worse than before.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
Thanks for the reply and info!

I'm still curious to know what to install if I do not update my bios or firmware. Can the latest MEI be used with bios 2001 and firmware 1186 or should I use an older version of MEI? All this is because I plan on a fresh installation of Windows. My system is working fine so the notes for newer bios versions and even people's testimonies aren't compelling me because on paper and in practice, my machine's performance is on par with what I would expect from my hardware specs.

To be clear, when I referred to MEI in this post, I am referring to the software, not the firmware.

Further info: latest MEI appears to be Version 11.7.0.1014 posted on the 19th of this month. Would installing this latest version of MEI be ok with my current bios and MEI firmware is basically what I'm asking.

Korth
Level 14
The latest Intel IME is 11.0.5.1189. As usual, it provides backward compatibility/support for previous IME firmware and hardware IDs.

The consumer versions lack Intel AMT (which is only supported on Itanium/Xeon chipsets anyhow) - meaning you don't need to really worry about security updates because your consumer system isn't configured (lacks the hardware) for "bare metal" remote access administration anyhow. And your online banking or paypal isn't able to use the latest enterprise-grade cryptosecurity refinements, either. Your machine might always get hacked, but (as far as the experts can tell) it's not going to be through the IME.

The IME also provides "watchdog" hardware monitoring functions for the processor and chipset. Version 1189 seems to offer nothing new or important here - major updates (or bug/errata fixes) are always explicitly mentioned in IME version documentation.

So there's basically no reason to update your IME. Unless some kind of software imposes an IME version requirement.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
The version you linked can't be the newest as my current Windows installation (installed August of last year) is 11.0.6.1194 and ASUS' website is already up to version 11.7.0.1014, as I linked in my reply before this.

AKBAAR
Level 9
http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

Intel Management Engine:
Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Last Updated: 2017-07-24

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
I had seen and obtained the tools from that link prior to posting this thread, but thank you for your reply akbaar!

Couldn't actually figure it out, but I'm in no rush. If installing the latest bios would be the easiest thing all around, I may just do that.