cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF X299 Mark 1/Strix-E 0503 BIOS update ram issues

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
There's 3 of us over at overclock.net who are having some serious issues with the new 0503 BIOS.

2 With a TUF Mark 1 and 1 with a Strix-E
Basically you can't use your ram at rated speeds anymore, they are stuck at 2133Mhz, if you tried the board will not post.
XMP or manually entering the primary timings don't work.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632373/tuf-x299-mark-1/220

A member found the problem:
"It looks like 0503 broke something about how the secondary and tertiary timings are acquired (i.e. training). I manually entered the whole page of timings from what 0402 acquired, and I was able to boot with the same DRAM OC that I had previously. I then set one of the secondary timings back to AUTO, and I noticed it got set to a value corresponding to the base DDR4-2133 frequency."

The other problem is the BIOS will not let you roll back to 0402 within EZFlash, downloading 0402 BIOS from the Asus sites leads you to get a "Invalid File" error.
I was able to roll bac with USB Flash though, but people with Strix-E Boards aren't so lucky, the rollback just fails.

The ram I'm using is Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 32GB, but it's happening on G.Skill 3200 CL16 as well.

I have just tested the "fix" myself, the BIOS is most indeed not picking up the secondary timings on the ram, but Manually entering them allows you to post.

It also broke the TUF Mark 1's monitoring dongle, it just doesn't work at all after the BIOS update.
17 REPLIES 17

Praz
Level 13
Hello

It seems some of the non-primary timings have been tightened for better performance. Manually setting these timings should allow mainstream memory to run at rated speed. Premium memory should not have any issues. The USB BIOS Flashback issue is being looked into.

Praz wrote:
Hello

It seems some of the non-primary timings have been tightened for better performance. Manually setting these timings should allow mainstream memory to run at rated speed. Premium memory should not have any issues. The USB BIOS Flashback issue is being looked into.

Yeah, I took a screen shot of my secondary memory timings in 0402, just entered them into 0503 and it's all fine.

USB Flashback is working for me, just not rolling back with Ezyflash.

Anyone know what this new setting is?

Raja
Level 13
schoolofmonkey wrote:
There's 3 of us over at overclock.net who are having some serious issues with the new 0503 BIOS.

2 With a TUF Mark 1 and 1 with a Strix-E
Basically you can't use your ram at rated speeds anymore, they are stuck at 2133Mhz, if you tried the board will not post.
XMP or manually entering the primary timings don't work.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632373/tuf-x299-mark-1/220

A member found the problem:
"It looks like 0503 broke something about how the secondary and tertiary timings are acquired (i.e. training). I manually entered the whole page of timings from what 0402 acquired, and I was able to boot with the same DRAM OC that I had previously. I then set one of the secondary timings back to AUTO, and I noticed it got set to a value corresponding to the base DDR4-2133 frequency."

Have asked HQ to test some of these average IC kits. For the record, tightening the secondary timings has nothing to do with the 'memory training' process in the sense implied. The memory may fail to train due to timings being too tight, but that doesn't imply the issue is with the training itself. ASUS UEFI builds always apply their own memory timings - we don't follow the entire XMP table. In this case it seems things are a bit too tight for some ICs/memory kits.

schoolofmonkey wrote:

The other problem is the BIOS will not let you roll back to 0402 within EZFlash, downloading 0402 BIOS from the Asus sites leads you to get a "Invalid File" error.
I was able to roll bac with USB Flash though, but people with Strix-E Boards aren't so lucky, the rollback just fails.

The ram I'm using is Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 32GB, but it's happening on G.Skill 3200 CL16 as well.

I will check if HQ has that Corsair kit. UEFI version could be locked from going backwards to the earlier builds for multiple reasons (usually if there is a major firmware update, or some kind of issue was found on older builds), but I will ask.

schoolofmonkey wrote:

I have just tested the "fix" myself, the BIOS is most indeed not picking up the secondary timings on the ram, but Manually entering them allows you to post.

As stated above, we don't utilize the full XMP table on any UEFI build on any platform. In this case, for some kits, the timings used may be a bit too tight. At least you know what to do now 😉

schoolofmonkey wrote:

It also broke the TUF Mark 1's monitoring dongle, it just doesn't work at all after the BIOS update.

I will ask about this. Any more pertinent info?

BTW there is an official support thread on OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1635170/asus-x299-motherboard-series-official-support-thread

Raja@ASUS wrote:

I will ask about this. Any more pertinent info?
BTW there is an official support thread on OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1635170/asus-x299-motherboard-series-official-support-thread

Sorry Raja, I missed that thread over there, heading back over now.

When I mean it broke the monitoring dongle, you just can't connect to it via bluetooth at all with 0503.
If I roll back to 0402 it works fine.

schoolofmonkey wrote:
Sorry Raja, I missed that thread over there, heading back over now.

When I mean it broke the monitoring dongle, you just can't connect to it via bluetooth at all with 0503.
If I roll back to 0402 it works fine.

Okay, thanks. Have reported to HQ. Is anything shown in device manager?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Okay, thanks. Have reported to HQ. Is anything shown in device manager?

No the TUF dongle doesn't show in the device manager no matter what BIOS version.
It has it's own USB port on the rear IO, and won't work in any ports.

I've actually rolled back to 0402 for now, need the module to monitor voltages/temps when overclocking.

Raja
Level 13
I've relayed the info to HQ. Awaiting a response. May take a few days, as the dude that handles this is busy.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I've relayed the info to HQ. Awaiting a response. May take a few days, as the dude that handles this is busy.

All good, I know you guys will get on top of it all, that's why I buy Asus 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Sent you a PM.